PDA

View Full Version : Mac LW performance

ChrisBasken
06-24-2003, 12:16 AM
I'm beginning to think, gradually and with great care, about getting a new system. Right now I'm on a P4 running Win2k. However, I'm an old Mac dweeb from the days when they first appeared, and really stuck with them until 1996 or so.

Apple is luring me back with all these wild new machines (and Jaguar), and I'm beginning to think about coming home to the Mac fold. Before I make such a decision -- and I'm months away from making it, actually -- I thought I'd check with folks on what Mac LW performance is, generally. Does it run well under OSX? Can I import (or simply load) my existing models and scenes into the Mac version?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Triple G
06-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Well, having just finished watching Steve Jobs' keynote address, I'd say if you're not going to be getting a Mac for a couple of months, I'm guessing that LW's performance then is going to far surpass its performance now.

Peformance on current G4 architecture and OSX Jaguar is acceptable. Nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done. Once the new G5s hit the market, along with Panther, at the very least I'm hoping we'll see a fairly good-sized improvement. Best-case scenario, in real-world LW benchmarks, I'm hoping they'll be the fastest machines out there, as everyone seemed to be claiming in the keynote address. :drool:

As far as compatibility goes, you can load scenes and objects created with a PC onto your Mac, and vice-versa...I've done it many times with very few problems. The only problems I've had stemmed from having a plugin for one platform and not for the other.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.