PDA

View Full Version : Character : Mac

Equinoxx
06-24-2003, 12:11 AM
well. let's try this new forum on for size ey.
http://equinoxx.cgcommunity.com/wip/mac/mac_wip_front.jpg
http://equinoxx.cgcommunity.com/wip/mac/mac_wip_34.jpg
http://equinoxx.cgcommunity.com/wip/mac/mac_wip_wire_low.jpg

Been working on this model for quite a while now, but very off and on.
Lots of stuff still to be done. he hasn't got a fly yet, and his arms aren't welded near the shoulder.
the wrinkles on his pants are symetrical right now, but ones i finished it i will unsymetrize them [ is that a word ?]
lots of wrinkles still to be added. shoes are kinda temp since I don't really like them at the moment.
the bump on his shirt is also temp, need to properly unwrap that, but put it on for feeling.

- 3dsmax 5.1
- meshtools 2.5
- polymodeling

so there ya have it.

mage111
06-24-2003, 12:19 AM
you've already mentioned part of what i have to critique, and thats the wrinkles. but to me they dont look like they are wrinkling, they are being sculpted or something un-natural is causing them to wrinkle the way they are

maybe someone could explain what i see better, but what im looking at just isnt wrinkles.

KingMob
06-24-2003, 12:19 AM
well I have basically told you everything I think abotu this character, but let me just sum up a few things that might help improve it....

1. I thinkt he fly on the pants looks a little strange right now

2. Bigger hands...arent you mr. giant hands? and yet he has little ones...tho that does add a little charm to him in itself.

3. Shoes need bigger treads....a man of his stature needs some boots imo.

4. I really like his face.. hell I like the whole thing. Nice ears to.

that's all for now an, keep em coming

MatrixNAN
06-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Nice model but here are some problems I see:

1) You need to rotate the thumbs in 45 degrees on the hands back towards the top of the hand. Look at your hand and spread your fingers you should see what I mean. I laid bones in my hand realised when I did that it was physically impossible to have the thumb at 90 degrees.
2) Some kind of issue very slight with the flesh passing into the shirt.
3) Some lines on the shoulder muscle perhaps that is from not welding the shoulder to the arm or something. None the less there is a crease that should not be there.
4) I kind of like the hands the size they are and the feet.
5) The tred on the bottom of the shoe is way to thin. Its needs to be thicker and actually have tred so as to give the appearance that he will not slip and fall on his face when walking.
6) I would probably go with a belt for his stomach to hang over when you add the zipper.

Thats all I have for now.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

mjm
06-24-2003, 12:48 AM
I'll attempt to detail what mage is saying, because I see that as well.

Right now the folds in the pants make the fabric look like a very thin, soft material. If you try folding burlap or any heavy fabric, there won't be that many small wrinkles. Rather, folds will stem from where there is a large objection to the natural flow of the material. As of now, I would say the pants look like a medium silk or cotton. I'm not sure what material you're going for, but it seems a heavier denim-like fabric would fit the character.

In addition, the wrinkles and folds don't interact with each other, or with the form they're covering. For example, due to the pants being oversized (longer than he is tall), I would expect a large fold running up the front/side of the legs to the knees due to being stopped by the boots. Of course it won't be straight, but there will be a prominent displacement. Right now all the folds in the cloth run horizontally, so there isn't a feeling of weight in the pants. If you go from major points of contact: ankles, knees, thighs/crotch, and allow the folds to stem from those regions, you might get a better flow of the fabric. Also, in terms of interacting with each other, for every high point in the fabric, there is going to be a low point. So when you have a strong displacement outwards, you're also going to have a displacement inward to compensate. Folds will be vertical if they are slight, and bend to horizontal in packed, dense regions.

The best advice, I think, is to put on a pair of pants similar to those you're modeling, stand in front of a mirror, and look at the general direction of the folds. :)

Here's one of Leonardo's studies that shows the general principles:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/djmcchesney/leo.jpg

</end of amateur attempt at explaining observation>

ambient-whisper
06-24-2003, 12:57 AM
first thing that stands out to me is that his clavice bones are too thin and the top of the clavice protrudes too much. especially on a man that size, usually he will have a bit more fat/skin around that area sliding off his neck.

the arm: right now the arm is built in a too straight fashion. as in. the tricep is back of the arm. and the bicep in front. but what your image is missing is the interconnectivity of the muscles and the fact that the arm isnt as simple as bicep front/tricep back. the biceps should be going just a little bit inward closer to the body. like in the image below.

http://ambient-whisper.cgcommunity.com/images_dump/Critiques/Equinoxx/arm_front.jpg

Raul-Reznek
06-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Damn posted here and didn't appear

didn't get to read what all the other guys said

anyhow good stuff Yves

the problems i noticed earlier is that the deltoid and biceps don't link, it rather seems they are intersected

i think that if u add a belly to ur character it would confere it unicity and originality and there seems to be something weird about the legs, i think that the are too far from one another

cheerz buddy!

RubenLTN
06-25-2003, 07:11 AM
Very nice character design.

I think that his flyer doesnt look right..it's like it's not part of the rest of his pants.

Also the division between his shirt and pants doesnt look right. I don't think it's supposed to be shaped like that, also would be nice to see some wrinkles there.

R.

Equinoxx
06-25-2003, 09:02 AM
all valid crits . . . about the zipper, it looks weird because there is none. it's just a hole currently.
about the folds, i totally agree. it looks weird and will rethink it taking the suggestions made by MJM in account.

Martin, not quite sure what you mean there, but i guess you're telling me to slightly rotate the bicep inwards ?
and will def redo the clavicle, wasn't to happy with that either.

folds wil come as i go. the shirt will get them and the pants will get new ones.
shoes as i said in my initial post are temp. i totally don't like them
and will redesign them.

cheers all for the good crits and making this forum work the way it's supposed to.

rrobert
06-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Looks okay, but did you notice this little clipping mistake equinoxx?

See ya

Equinoxx
06-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Straightmark
Looks okay, but did you notice this little clipping mistake equinoxx?

See ya

yes I did ;) but thx for reminding me

JeT
06-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey Equinoxx, I think the most disturbing thing about character : mac is the head, rather the angle the head attaches to the neck. a Dog's head attaches to the neck from the back; I know your character isnt a proper dog.. but do consider making more of a neck for him; it should define his shoulders and head more considerably. take a glance at some of these dogs, how much of a neck they have.

JeT
06-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Another thing, i feel the arm muscles are to pronounced at the moment, if they are going to be buldging that much, you'd probably be able to faintly make out the shapes of some more. see image. maybe add some veins too on the forearm underside when you texture him. Just a suggestion. :)

magicm
06-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi Equinoxx.

You're really improving on your modeling skills. Especially the hands are done very well! However, I must agree they look a tiny bit too small (don't overdo it though! cause I know you can ;).. Also, you need to change the orientation of the thumb. It looks like it's gone out of its socket.

Another thing that could use some attention is the nose. As I see it right now, it looks like there's a black thing stuck under his nose rather than the black thing being his nose..

Great job!

- Martijn

Dave Black
06-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Hey, Equinoxx!

He's looking really good.

To perhaps clear-up what Martin was saying: I think he's getting at the fact that there is a natural balance between muscles. The bicep needs to be moved in towards the chest and down, and the tricep perhaps outward and upward a bit. There should be a diagnal between them, instead of being directly horizontally opposed to one another. There's that whole "push-pull" mechanism happening.

I edited Martin's pic to further illustrate what I "think" he's saying:

I could be wrong. The one on the left is how it should be. The one on the right is what it appears that you have now.

-3DZ

Vash T Stampede
06-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Well I planned for a major rub down with critiques:wip: but almost everything has been mentioned above :p

I still think his Upper arm is a liiiiitle too short, either increase that and decrease the lower arms lenght, or pretend i'm air and don't do anything about it...

Still I like it a lot, BUT!

you have to give him a Bigger, Fatter Sigar...
smokey time!..

nibo
06-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Look'n good Equi,
I think you should downscale the muscles of his lowerarms a weebit, cause they're too big.
Btw, it's time for an update don't ya think?! :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.