PDA

View Full Version : why make textues like that?

Deniss
05-02-2002, 01:43 AM
A question.

Why do all the models have textures for bought the left and the right side of the model, though they are the same? Why not just make just one side and copy it to another? is there any special reason for not doing so?

I just don't want to find this out the hard way...
Thanks.

jmringuet
05-02-2002, 04:47 AM
The reason is that your left side and right side are not symetrical. Nothing screams 'fake' like a mirrored face.

That being said a lot of people actually do only half of their textures and mirror them when they map them on the models. So both techniques exist.

CADster
05-04-2002, 11:47 PM
not mirroring a car (for example) gives the skinner more to work with, it also enables unsymetrical paint jobs, and this can be very cool (like a race car for example). if your product has a damage state (like a bloody skin, or a damaged car), mirroring faces becomes even more undesirable. If your product is really limited in texture realestate you almost have no choice but to mirror (older games have this problem).

I try everything in my power to not mirror faces, but i have done it in the past (so im sure ill have to do it in the future)

Ivars
05-05-2002, 05:47 PM
...is to mirror some parts, then map specific faces with details and such. It wont look that symetriacal but it will save you alot of UV-space. Bit its killing your tri-strips:annoyed:

BoBo-the-seal
05-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Several games (if not most) have texture space limitations. If texture space is a problem mirroring helps the resolution (pixel per surface area on the mesh). Even on models that I do a lot of mirroring I try to maintain the large areas that face the user. For instance I can usually see a persons face but I will never see both sides of his head at the same time. Simply mirror the sides and maintain the front. Here is a video tutorial I made to show what I said above.
http://www.bobotheseal.com/vids/UVmap_tut01_big.avi
You will need the Techsmith codec to see the avi
http://www.techsmith.com

Another example would be the chest compared to the arms. The chest is a large area that will face you in most cases in a 3d game were as arms are much further apart and more forgiving if you want to mirror them. The arms and legs are areas of characters that are in motion most of the times in games. It's harder to focus and pinpoint mirroring when its moving. The back is rarely seen so it's a good place to mirror too.

With next generation engines we are getting more and more texture space, so you will start seeing less mirroring.

I hope this helps a little.

BoBo

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.