PDA

View Full Version : Game Icons - character/environment - Sanguin

zenzmurfy
06-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Adventure/Action game:

Sanguin - the red penguin ECO-avenger

A penguin left for dead in a pool of oil in an artic covered in oil derricks, with reddened irritated skin and a lot of guns, sets out to battle Big Oil.

Sanguin battles its way from the artic to the antartic to the jungles, to the deserts, to the cities, until the final battle with cyberdemon Dick Cheney at big Oil headquarters.

Along the way Sanguin gains power-ups that help him along in its journey.

Teardrop Helmet of cold efficiency
ECO-calibur the magic cleansing sword
Yellow Haz-mat Booties of mercury for mad/insane speed
Enron teflon armor plate of immunity
gaunlets of Nadir
lucky mummified forelimb of schhwartzeneggar

zenzmurfy
06-24-2003, 09:28 AM
The final level at Big Oil HQ... all the oil pipelines in the world going into a giant beating heart... Sanguin is REALLY small in this pic.

Capt.K
06-24-2003, 04:23 PM
I really like the idea of an angry penguin going ballistic. The character model is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing some texturing.

zenzmurfy
06-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Me too! that usually takes even longer to do than the model itself. I gotta get some better tools for that than the native lightwave ones.

Originally posted by Capt.K
I really like the idea of an angry penguin going ballistic. The character model is looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing some texturing.

zenzmurfy
07-05-2003, 06:16 AM
Heres the low poly Sanguin on the final level environment.

Digital Ninja
07-05-2003, 06:25 AM
hehe,

Man that penguin is crazee, awesome but crazee, definatley original , nice work!

-DN:surprised

Massoud
07-08-2003, 02:11 PM
:scream: :scream:

zenzmurfy
07-09-2003, 01:43 AM
Thanks! Digital Ninja and Massoud!

I finally unwrapped the skin for texturing. Needs a few tweaks on some edges and other places but I think its mostly working okay.

Massoud
07-09-2003, 04:05 PM
wooow

very lol mr :scream:

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=701268

zenzmurfy
07-10-2003, 03:33 AM
I just drew in the texture map for Sanguin. I guess I will have to make up a final image for the contest later. now moving back to completing the texture map for the enviroment.

zenzmurfy
07-10-2003, 03:34 AM

Massoud
07-10-2003, 01:37 PM
i think that picture was that picture from the first post of you

okay ?

Buck
07-10-2003, 05:25 PM
im guessing he edited the first post to contain the latest update...am i correct?

zenzmurfy
07-10-2003, 10:26 PM
The picture is linked to one used for the CGchallenge itself, so as I change the cgchallenge image, the link here loads whatever is the current image. The big advantage to this is that the cgchallenge image can be as large as 150k(?) vs the usual 20k limit here.

Supervlieg
07-10-2003, 10:31 PM
With 150 kb available you might wanna upgrade your jpg compression. The compression you use right now doesn't do your model justice.

Massoud
07-11-2003, 01:42 PM
:wavey:
i see Mr Buck :shame:
and your lowpoly isn't bad but your lowpoly is bad
you must use more detail

zenzmurfy
07-12-2003, 09:34 AM
THANKS! I'll keep an eye on the image quality on the final images! thanks again for the reminder!

Originally posted by supervlieg
With 150 kb available you might wanna upgrade your jpg compression. The compression you use right now doesn't do your model justice.

zenzmurfy
07-12-2003, 11:45 AM
http://www.mikeling.com/Sanguin/Sanguin_LowPoly_1r_wireframe.jpg

http://www.mikeling.com/Sanguin/Sanguin_LowPoly_1r.jpg

zenzmurfy
07-12-2003, 11:48 AM
http://www.mikeling.com/Sanguin/UV_LP_sanguin_body_1a1.jpg

http://www.mikeling.com/Sanguin/UV_LP_sanguin_Weapons_1a1.jpg

zenzmurfy
07-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Poly count for Sanguin is 2018 tris
Poly for environment is about 16k tris

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/7527/36_large.jpg

Massoud
07-12-2003, 05:30 PM
it is your finaly work ????? :argh: :curious:

zenzmurfy
07-14-2003, 03:15 AM
Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Massoud
it is your finaly work ????? :argh: :curious:

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/7527/36_large.jpg

Massoud
07-14-2003, 01:21 PM
yes mr

i have many idea

and one of that is you can't outfight in this challenge, never can
:scream:

as your work is very easy and abecedarian
if you are don't agree with i please check the ILA's theread and look his work he is very master and very good adversary for you

i am wait to 16 and look your score

Massoud
07-14-2003, 01:40 PM
oh mr

please dont update all of your picture as i want see your aforetiem pictures

it is one of ten thousand idea of me

zenzmurfy
07-14-2003, 02:12 PM
I think a lot of people are missing the point of the contest. A cinematic game icon is someone who stands out and is the star of a given game. Usually the character is very identifiable from other characters in the game. Eventhough Lara Croft is a semi-realitistic character, you don't confuse her with the enemies onscreen. It is also not unusual for such characters to be simple looking. "Kirby" "Mario" "Link" "Crash" "Sonic"

What I am getting at is that what I went for is what I thought was a realistic example of what a game icon character would be like. Catchy name, bright color, unique appearance, personality, themed storyline.

yes mr

i have many idea

if you are don't agree with i please check the ILA's theread and look his work he is very master and very good adversary for you

zenzmurfy
07-14-2003, 02:17 PM
I am having trouble understanding your messages. If I am guessing correctly you mean that many of the images are being replaced with new images? If, so. The reason is that the image link is tied to the one on cgchallenge. Whatever is there is whatever uses the link here. I try to delete those images to one for each page.

oh mr

please dont update all of your picture as i want see your aforetiem pictures

it is one of ten thousand idea of me

Littleberu
07-14-2003, 05:06 PM
yes mr

i have many idea

If you don't like it just don't vote for it and stop trolling his thread.

BTW : Excellent work zenzmurfy, I think he has a lot of character and personnality.

Massoud
07-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Mr littlebrother

i don't say i don't like that zenzmurfy gain vote i say he can't gain vote

can you understand ?

okse
07-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Mr littlebrother

can you understand ?

I think personally what you're saying either way comes across as rude Massoud!

It's ashame, I thought these forums were a way of helping artists better there skills, not a place to put people down.

He's asked for your opinions on stuff, and you've just come across as arrogant!

zenzmurfy
07-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Thank you very much! Penguins are great stoic characters. Just look how cool the penguin was in "The Wrong Trousers".

Originally posted by Littleberu

Excellent work zenzmurfy, I think he has a lot of character and personnality. [/B]

zenzmurfy
07-17-2003, 06:10 PM
You may be right, but I doubt it matters as much as you think. Seems like people are voting for people they already know and leaving a ZERO vote for everyone else. I am wondering if ppl are bothering to look at all the entries to begin with.

I think a lot of people do not understand the contest topic. I looked at the challenge as making a real game with a starring character that people can instantly recognize. It usually means your character has to be simplified and cartoony. It has to be memorable somehow. It seems like people are forgetting that its not JUST a modeling contest, but a conceptual design contest too.

1) Penguin named Sanguin(Sanguine means blood and it rhymes with penguin)

2) penguin is HUGE and red(not normal coloing)

3)Penguin is super violent.

4) Guns guns guns!

Mr littlebrother

can you understand ?

zenzmurfy
07-17-2003, 06:21 PM
I think it might be beyond his command of english to do it.
Beyond that, good criticism is hard to make to begin with. It helps a lot if the person is knowledgable about the subject matter. On unfamiliar topics, if the person oneself doesn't understand his/her own feelings/thoughts on a matter, its very difficult to verbalize it.

Originally posted by okse

He's asked for your opinions on stuff, and you've just come across as arrogant! [/B]

mah-h
07-19-2003, 03:57 PM
your work is aside from other
your work is a other thing
your work is different
(dose it was a Penguin ?:eek:
your work is end of this challenge:surprised
I hope you attend in the next challenge then tell me:beer:
(your icon is great too (you haven't any other thing?)))))))))

zenzmurfy
07-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks! I hope I can participate in more challenges too. Sometimes the topic is something I can't get into or often, I do not have time.

My icon is from my previous CG challenge

3d
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12918&
2d
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13255&

Originally posted by mah-h

I hope you attend in the next challenge then tell me:beer:
(your icon is great too (you haven't any other thing?)))))))))

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.