PDA

View Full Version : "Maya" esqe Character Sets...

jjburton
06-23-2003, 09:34 PM
I'm a student at SCAD, and I just started 3d character animation today. Amazingly enough, my teacher doesn't care which software we use. As my app of choice is LW for modeling, texturing and rendering I'd like to do my animation in it as well. Thus far, most of my animation has been done in Maya. Is there a feature in Lightwave or plugin that will allow you to do character selection sets like in Maya which makes the whole keyframing thing a lot easier?

Thanks ahead of time:)

ub52
06-23-2003, 09:40 PM
In the scene editor, upper left corner there is a button labeled Favorites. Just select the channels you want and under that button click Create set.

- ub52

jjburton
06-23-2003, 09:48 PM
How then do you key just that set as you're working? (Thanks by the way)

ub52
06-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Look for SelectFavoritesMC at this site. (http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/) Set a keyboard shortcut for the plugin. When activated it brings up a list box of all the selection sets you've created. Pick the one you want and those items will become selected in the scene. If you have autokey on then when you tweak your items keys are created for just those. Otherwise you must press the enter key twice.

-ub52

faulknermano
06-24-2003, 01:49 AM
better yet check this one out:

http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/ChannelSetsMC.zip

i modelled it after maya's own character sets.

jjburton
06-24-2003, 01:58 AM
Thanks ub:)

Faulknermano, do you know where there's a place that explains how to use this? Tried the site, but couldn't find directions. Thanks:)

webfox
06-24-2003, 08:43 AM
You have to make your favorites with your scene editor first. If you don't have any, then running the plugin does nothing.

SplineGod
06-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Using Selection Sets and Lernies plugin allowed me to pull this off.
I had a day and a half to model, rig and animate these lizards for a test including sticking it onto the video with shadows. Its all done in LW and Selection sets really made it much much easier.
This is one of 5 shots I had to animate in that timeframe.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/firelizard_test.avi

Thanks Lernie! :)

jjburton
06-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks Larry...but who's Lernie? Saw your lizard animation a while back, very nice:)

Webfox, thanks.

faulknermano
06-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by jjburton
Thanks Larry...but who's Lernie?

huh! beats me... larry's always making up names. (larry: any time. :) )

as with ChannelSetsMC: there are included docs inside that should get you up and running, i think. the principle behind CSMC is the same with maya's character sets. CSMC uses channel sets in the GRAPH EDITOR. so the first thing you have to do is to create Graph Editor Channel Sets (or Favorites) before you can utilize CSMC. once you have your channel sets done and ready, load CSMC into memory (e.g. run it) and it should pick up your sets. then simply select a set that you wish to key and use the 'dummy' scripts included with CSMC or use the buttons. again, the docs will explain the detailed operation.

before i went into the witness protection program, i finished this particular script that combined keytrak and character sets into one interface. now, this ISNT a teaser. i am just remembering, when someone brings up creating keys, of this script, because it has changed the way i animate in lightwave. i dont even go to the graph edtior anymore, except when i must eyeball the curve directly. but all incoming curve controls, adding keys, deleting keys, scaling / shifting keys and other stuff are all interactively done from within a timeline. and the greatest thing about it is this: it's relatively robust (except for some lscript bugs which i cannot do anything about), and therefore useable.

again, this not a shameless / shameful plug, or even a teaser, okay? :wavey:

jjburton
06-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Faulknermano, I don't care if you make a shameless plug, what is this script you're talking about?:) Very interesting...

By the way, loved the quote on your site, my favorite author:thumbsup:

Steve Warner
06-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by faulknermano
now, this ISNT a teaser.
but.. but.. but... :cry:

faulknermano
06-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by jjburton
Faulknermano, I don't care if you make a shameless plug, what is this script you're talking about?:) Very interesting...

the script is a reincarnation of my old PortableTimelineMC script. the idea of PTMC was just that i could move a timeline around. it's been sitting up in my brain for many months since to create something more functional with the interface.

as to a demo... sorry, but again, this is not a plug, nor a teaser for the simple reason that i'm not giving this away anytime soon.

By the way, loved the quote on your site, my favorite author:thumbsup:

awesome! have you heard faulkner's acceptace speech on audio? he *talks* stream of consciousness. LOL!

faulknermano
06-25-2003, 02:34 PM
By the way, loved the quote on your site, my favorite author

whoops! that would be c.s. lewis.. i thought you meant my sig.

oh yeah, c.s. lewis rocks. problem of pain was one of my favorites - changed my life. i'm reading his sci-fi trilogy (out of the silent planet). :D

Mike RB
06-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Keytrak by mark brown has an implementation of character sets with both bones and objects.

Mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.