PDA

View Full Version : to buy or to wait?

Bupa
05-02-2002, 02:25 AM
Is this book good?
"Softimage Xsi Character Animation F/X & Design"
Or is it better to wait till there is a newer one?

Atyss
05-02-2002, 02:47 AM
Bonjour Bupa,

Few months ago I would have said "BUY!" but that was before 2 things:

1- The Cumbria training cds

Covers in great lenght character modeling, rigging and texturing. The next 2 cds will cover shape animation. They are more expansive than a book but I think they worth their price. You can order them at www.cmagic.co.uk. The only problem is that they do not cover animation in detail.

2- The upcoming book of Anthony Rossano.

Anthony Rossano stated that this book is to be the bible about character creation. It it suppose to cover everything, expect rendering (and I suppose that includes materials and texturing). This is due to this summer. So I would wait until this book is out to have comparisons.

However, imho, it is better to get everything you get. In Chris Maraffi's book there are very interesting things, and it gives you another approach to rigging. The expressions part is very interesting, imho. On the other hand, the modeling and design aspect of the book is very weak. There is nothing on texturing. To make it short I bought the book and I don't regret it, as far as rigging and animation is concerned.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Bupa
05-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Merci Atyss

SheepFactory
05-02-2002, 12:41 PM
do not forget Ed harriss's videotapes and Cinesite Videos.

www.edharriss.com

http://www.cineframe.com/fundamentals/index.htm

A|i

Bupa
05-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Hé, Sheep Factory, thanks for that. I knew the tapes from ed harris but not the other one.
I can't buy them all. Must make a decision.
Anyone has the ed harris tapes or the "All About XSI: Fundamentals tape?"
Suggestions are welcome.:)

Null_
05-03-2002, 08:11 PM
I actually bought all the tapes from Ed Harriss when I switched from 3ds MAX to XSI. Though I did not learn anything about the creation of 3d that I didn’t already knew, it was REALLY helpful to get the right XSI mentality/thinking.

These tapes (and almost 10 hours in front of my TV, cause that’s how much information you get) made it possible for me to start using XSI in production from day one. I have nothing but good to say about the tapes, Ed Harriss or his website…:thumbsup:

--
om

EdHarriss
05-04-2002, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the compliments Null_ !!! :)

Bupa
05-04-2002, 01:49 AM
Greetings Ed, didn't know you where a moderator around this forum.:)

Null_
05-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Ed, I was just being honest (just as my mom taught me to be) :D :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.