PDA

View Full Version : baking shadows with mental ray

AroundTheFur
06-23-2003, 05:11 PM
im sorta new to mental ray and im doing an architectural scene, a model of the office here to be animated with a fly through camera. i plan on using final gather and it takes FOREVER to do one frame. so how would i go about baking the shadows in since nothing in the scene moves at all, so that it would calculate once, then just crank out the frames. thanks

AroundTheFur
06-24-2003, 04:21 PM
i mean ive read through the board and stuff, but the convert to file texture says (Maya software) next to it, and does this bake shadows from HDRI using final gather in addition to my other lights?

Elliotjnewman
06-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Baking isnt all that simple. how have you textured the scene? If you have any overlapping UVs then the bake will not work properly. plus it takes a long time to bake in final gather, but its worth doing as it will cut down the fizz.

Ell.

AroundTheFur
06-25-2003, 02:13 PM
well heres the thing, since im working with architectural stuff im working mainly in nurbs. the walls are all the same texture mainly with one projection on all of them, but they are all seperate pieces, and if im to understand baking i have to bake each object seperately, which would be pain but again would save time on the final render. i have a few poly objects, for the windows and stuff like that, so i guess i would have to apply uvs to them. do you think im goin about it the right way?

i played around and got a decent default lighting setup with final gather, i then plan on lighting with hidden objects as opposed to lights, to get that soft look. thanks for the help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.