PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel: Texturing demo reel

kleinluka
06-23-2003, 04:26 PM
So I sent these textures to TKO software last night along with 18 ingame pics from a game level that I textured (see below for example pic).
The textures can be found here (http://kleinluka.inwdungeon.com/demo/).
Let me know what you think. Thanks,
Dan

http://kleinluka.inwdungeon.com/campagne.jpg

zachgrachan
06-23-2003, 04:32 PM
those are really good textures, amazing attention to detail. streaks under windows, and tire tracks on the road....

how do you go about creating these, photo combination or straight painting?

kleinluka
06-23-2003, 04:39 PM
thank you - a mix of both. Photo source comes in handy for the real complex stuff (try painting a 1024x1024 grass from scratch and making it look as realistic as a photo and you know what i mean). My goal is to use photo source only when needed and without making it look like a cheap photo rip-off (although i must admit max payne looks real sweet for using photo textures only).
So yeah...

I guess it it really depends on personal taste though. Some people prefer the more "photo-ish" look for textures, some prefer the all cartoony stuff and I am pretty much in between ;)

Bilbo_Baggins
06-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Wow those are awesome textures. I would love to steal them and use them in a map of mine. ;)

For the grass texture, did you take a photo and then go into PS and edit 2 edges of the photo to match the other side opposite sides? And the same thing for the sand, too? (Though on the sand you put the footsteps in too)

I would love to be able to make textures like this... exactly like this! :) Any suggestions on how to learn?

bene.b
06-23-2003, 06:09 PM
looking good!
My only crit is the tire track: imho the treads are too clean and too far apart, also the treads themselves look too thin. (at least in the in-game screenshot)
I think you should've gone for a look of a road where many jeeps have already passed, i.e. stones covering the road only in the middle and on the sides, leaving two broad lines almost free of gravel. At least more than only one pair of tracks would look better imho
The other textures are great. I also like your photo/paint combo technique.
:thumbsup:

kleinluka
06-23-2003, 06:34 PM
bene.b:

thanks,
you will notice that i did the same thing to the sand texture. I added just one pair of foot steps, although there should be more. I did that for a reason. I didn't want to distract from the actual road texture. If i had dotted the whole road with track marks it would look really messed up. It would look war torn yeah, but I wanted to keep these textures relatively generic for the reel. I usually do a bunch of versions for every texture I make. For a building texture that would be one clean version, one dirty version and one version with broken windows, bulletholes and other damages....you figure it out :)

PvtRyan
06-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Looks great!! :thumbsup:

Is that Day of Defeat btw?

kleinluka
06-23-2003, 06:43 PM
the ingame pic, yes.
I textured a couple of official maps for Day of Defeat.

The textures for my reel are random ones though.

HapZungLam
06-23-2003, 10:41 PM
I don't have a problem with using photos to texture. I use it alot. But you still need to paint details that the photos don't have.

Use your render as an example. Serious age like there should have some brown colour under all them metal object. should have some water leaking marks under the roof. Check out all your edges and corners.. They are too perfects and sharp compare to the age of your original texture. I'll add some black and whites with grunch maps around the edges to show it has been damage.

Run around on the street. Check out different houses with different age of theirs. You'll catch alot of detail of it.

by the way, nice job.

kleinluka
06-24-2003, 08:26 AM
overloading textures doesn't make them any better. Especially low res ones since the textures in that ingame shot are 256x256 each. So there's only little room for adding small details without making it look like a blurry blob. I'm a details man, but I wanted to keep my reel textures a bit cleaner and nicer. Read my previous post for explanation :)

Thanks for your comments though, it is much appreciated. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.