PDA

View Full Version : What does LW look 4 in hardware?

Bounce
06-23-2003, 04:11 PM
I'm looking at upgrading my current system and setting up a nice little render farm for my LW rendering.

Now i have been out of the hardware game for quite some time now and was wondering if you kind kind people can offer me some suggestions on what LW really uses in terms of hardware.

I am currently running an:
Athlon 800, 512MB SDR RAM, GF2 MX...and the rest.

What am i looking for when creating a machine that will let LW run to it's max potential? Keep in mind i'm a student with about $1000 AUD to spend.

Also, when creating this renderfarm, what will the render machines be required to have in them? Just the bare essentials?

And please dont turn this into a AMD v Intel thing...if that shit still happens these days.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve Warner
06-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, I love my AMD machines. But I've got both AMD (XP-2000+) and Intel (P4) chips in my home office and I can say this with absolute certainty. LW responds infinitely better on my Intel machines than my AMD machines. I can't really give you advice about render farms. But if you're putting a system together to build and animate, do it on an Intel. Then purchase lower cost AMD machines for your renderfarm.

kurv
06-23-2003, 04:47 PM
I am actually using a laptop, which I thought would not be a good idea but it has worked out very well. I would rather have two 21" flat screen monitors but... :)

The only issue with the laptop is their is not keypad, and that hinders shortcut keystrokes.

But, back on track here...

I have 512K Ram, P4 2.3G, Nvidia GeForce 4 w/ 32M Ram... I was TOTALY happy until I went to Deuces Bennett's house and his monster machine ran circles around mine...

He has duel processor P4's and a Gig of Ram the latest video monster card..? etc...

But LW will run on much less... I also ran LW on my older laptop, PII 400, 256 Megs ram, stock video card... nothing special. It worked...slow but worked especially if you are learning :)

swampthing
06-23-2003, 05:18 PM
LW definately favors intel processors by quite a bit in regards to render times. I remember some of the benchmarks and AMD was WAY behind in render times compared to intel's.

Other than that I don't think it really matters much. I've tried various vid cards and other setups and the only real increase I ever saw was upgrading raw processor speed and then switching to Intel.

fourd
06-23-2003, 08:14 PM
What does LW look 4 in hardware?

A pretty face, a nice butt, and a great personality;)

Sorry couldn't resist

ChrisBasken
06-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by wordwarepub
I have 512K Ram

Please tell me you meant 512M. :cool:

PolyMangler
06-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by swampthing
LW definately favors intel processors by quite a bit in regards to render times. I remember some of the benchmarks and AMD was WAY behind in render times compared to intel's.

swampthing- can you tell me where you found the benchmarks for amd and intel on LW? i was thinking about putting an amd render comp together but if there is that big a diff in performance it wouldn't be worth the lil greenage i'd save on using athlons

Jaspar
06-23-2003, 09:54 PM
There was a previous thread in which someone was comparing render speed in different machines, it became very apparent that P4s and Xeons ruled the roost as far as rendering went. I currently have two machines, both AMDs, definitely favouring the idea of getting one fast Intel machine next time, render farms on LW are a pain to use and maintain, I hardly turn on my second machine these days.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56034

uncommongrafx
06-23-2003, 11:36 PM
I would say get what you can afford.
It matters not whether it's an amd or an intel if it's not your main machine; what you want is rendering opportunities while you are still tweaking on your main machine.

Get any kind of chip that's above a 1.4 ghz and set them up and enjoy!

And Jaspar, why are you having a tough time with your nodes? LW is VERY easy to get up and working on a farm/garden. I use TequilaScream and it works a treat.

Good luck!

Vostok1
06-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Polymangler:
Anandtech.com (http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1810&p=20) ran a couple of Lightwave benchmarks in their P4 3.0c review.
There's also a database at Chris's Lightwave Benchmarks. (http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/)

Edit: forgot to add Anand's AMD Opteron benchies. (http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1818&p=11)

Jaspar
06-24-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by uncommongrafx

And Jaspar, why are you having a tough time with your nodes? LW is VERY easy to get up and working on a farm/garden. I use TequilaScream and it works a treat.

No major problem with the node, just took a while to set up (no third party), and find I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I think it's largely down to how you work, I just do a few hours in the evening, and rarely seem to get around to booting up the second machine. Maybe I should just get into the habit. :shrug:

PolyMangler
06-24-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Vostok1
Polymangler:
Anandtech.com (http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1810&p=20) ran a couple of Lightwave benchmarks in their P4 3.0c review.
There's also a database at Chris's Lightwave Benchmarks. (http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/)

Edit: forgot to add Anand's AMD Opteron benchies. (http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1818&p=11)

gracious Vostok, i'm sure these will help greatly

swampthing
06-24-2003, 02:38 AM
Those benchs at anantech pretty much cover all the benchies i've seen.

You'll notice that an intel 2.2ghz renders about like the fastest AMD's when it comes to radiosity and raytracing. That in my opinion is more than enough reason to go intel. On that radiosity reflective....wow, the fastest AMD is equal to a p4 1.8ghz. On an animation those 30-40 seconds saved per frame add up to ALOT in the long run.

It seems that most 3d software favors intel for some reason, but lightwave seems to like it the most.

Bounce
06-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for that guys. Looks like a new P4 may be the way to go.
Any advice on video cards? The videocard would make a difference in modelling would it not?

PolyMangler
06-25-2003, 03:38 PM
bounce: i'm kinda new to how lightwave uses it's resources myself but i think a vid card with a good deal of ram will help you work with more polys without crunching everything up...that and of course how well it can display openGL lighting,textures, reflections...etc.

right now i've got a Geforce4 440 64ram..nothing too spiffy but it handles what i toss at it fairly well

MattClary
06-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Bounce, I just bought a 3D Labs VP 970 and am pretty satisfied, but if I had it to do over, probably would have just gone with a Geforce 4 TI 4800, maybe even a 4200.

Arte
06-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by swampthing

I've found the benchmarks to be unrealistic compared to my work environment. Although I work in print more than animations. The P4 is a dog for print I've noticed

X

MattClary
06-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Do you mean rendering for print or using another app to prep for print?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.