PDA

View Full Version : Spotlights

scottfro
01-02-2009, 05:07 AM
practicing working quickly and attempting to create an atmosphere. put in about 3 hours on this one.
http://fc52.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2009/001/0/d/Spotlights_by_scottfro.jpg

TrenchcoatPixie
01-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Your lighting doesn't make sense. If those lights are behind him, why is he lit from the front? If they're actually klieg lights or spotlights, why are they casting such weak light on him, with such a gradual gradient of shadows? Even if he's not supposed to be standing under the spotlights, and he's walking away from the stage (I can't tell >.> ), the lights behind him should be so strong as to cast him in uniform dim shadow, with a halo effect around his outline.

If you tell us what the story is behind this image, and what we're supposed to be seeing, I think we'll be able to help you better.

Cati
01-02-2009, 09:02 AM
well there certainly is athmosphere in your drawing. I like it very much! Part of it thanks to textures you have used. However - the lighting and values are a bit off.
What you have done here is mixed the whole scale of values into eachother and that's why it lacks depth. If you have a black & white picture - you can see how some colours seem darker and some lighter.

I don't usually do paintovers but here goes. I've only modified the values of different areas. I don't suppose you want the skin as light as I've made it but my purpose is only to show you a way to see the values differently.
http://www.catooonzz.com/paintover.jpg
edit: You have a really nice drawing there. I've come back here many times today to look at the picture you've drawn. It just draws me in. Of course it has a lot to improve with value, technique and anatomy, but I really like your fresh style of drawing.

CybrGfx
01-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I really like his face. It has an intriguing expression and glint in the eye.

The rest of this is tossable. You spent time playing, but not really learning or accomplishing anything. The "spotlights" are crude, the light they cast is poorly rendered, inconsistent and totally unbelievable. It's just doodling.

I'd cut this guy out from the background, and give him his own existence away from the spotlights. He'd look great in a doorway, or an alley, or on a street corner, waiting for a bus.

~C

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2009, 03:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.