PDA

View Full Version : Extract & Separate problems

pas0003
01-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi guys, I've ran into another set problems with a few really annoying ones:

1) Everytime I export an .obj file, all objects get merged into 1 single mesh - does abyone know how to avoid that?

2) When I try to seeparate or extract certain faces from the mesh, Maya pretty much freezes with my CPU at 50% and RAM ever increasing - I tried to wait (up to 20 mins) but that seems to be useless, because nothing happens. The whole mesh isn't too big - with just under 50.000 faces. Any suggestions?

Any help appreciated!:bowdown:

marslord
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
for first question:
export and import OBJ base on polygon groups,
check for correct setting in Export/import process.
this let you have separated elements on your object.

pas0003
01-19-2009, 08:32 AM
great, thanks for that!

GrogMcGee
01-20-2009, 01:22 AM
<snip>

2) When I try to seeparate or extract certain faces from the mesh, Maya pretty much freezes with my CPU at 50% and RAM ever increasing - I tried to wait (up to 20 mins) but that seems to be useless, because nothing happens. The whole mesh isn't too big - with just under 50.000 faces. Any suggestions?
<snip>

Have you tried deleting non-deformer history?

Have you tried using: *polygon menu set* mesh>clean up

I'd suggest setting like this:
Operation: select matching polygons
Scope: apply to all polygon objects

nothing checked in the fix by tesselation

Then do each remove geometry option individually
*by choosing select in scope it will select the offending polygons.*

After applying the operation select the move tool if it appear like nothing has been selected. if the manipulator appears that means you've got something less than wonderful and it should fixed.

pas0003
01-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I didn't really understand what you mean, but do not worry since I've found a different method of avoiding this problem, I separate a complex object into multiple .obj files and then separate the later after importing in Maya. Works out that the original problem (object separate command seemingly not working) happened because the mesh was too complex. Thanks for your input though and sorry to have wasted your time like this :hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2009, 03:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.