PDA

View Full Version : After Effects/PhotoShop - Gun Flash?

FranOnTheEdge
01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Can anyone give me any ideas on how to create a gun flash for use in After Effects? I'd probably want to create a short sequence of images in say PhotoShop Elements5 or Corel PaintShop Pro Photo X2 - unless my new copy of PhotoShop CS4 arrives in time, ie the next few days.

So, something simple that won't be too hard to create.

And it must work in Black and White as this whole project is in BW, not colour.

Any ideas, hints, tips?

It's not something I've done before, so I'm unsure of this.

scrimski
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/simulated_lighting/

FranOnTheEdge
01-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the link but the person in that tutorial already has a ready made flash for the gun.

And I need to find out how to make one, as I don't have a ready made flash... that's the whole problem.

I won't need light on a person - as this tutorial is demonstrating - because in my sequence you never see anyone with this gun, just the flash.

The camera sees that flash from a head on perspective - as if the gun was being fired directly into the camera - or almost directly.

So I think I'd just need the flash - wouldn't I? yes?

I have searched the net for examples of a gun flash, but there seem to be very few around, so it's hard to find out what it should look like,

Which is why I'm asking in here.

Especially as I need to create a moving sequence of a gun flash, not just one image... I think that's right, because although in the animatic I did create a (very bad) gun flash - very cartoonish and totally rubbish though it was, I did find that I needed it to be there for more than 1 frame.

I think....

I hope you didn't just mean that I should BUY a flash - because I just went into debt to buy AE and my bank won't let me have any more of their money until I pay that off... so I'm totally skint.

Snafuu! Busted! Stony Broke...

iann
01-03-2009, 05:28 AM
You can find stock footage of muzzle flashes. Desaturate the stock footage to black and white. Depending on the frame length of the flash, you may need to track the flash to the footage. I think muzzle flashes are generally only a few frames long. That should be it. Maybe a transform to flip the footage if it's pointed in the wrong direction.

Good luck!

FranOnTheEdge
01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
But you've got to pay for ready made footage haven't you?

Aha, found some, will have to investigate this further...

scrimski
01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Detonationfilm has free muzzle flash footage.
http://www.detonationfilms.com/free_stuff.htm

Basically it's kinda eeasy to fake: draw a rough muzzle shape, distort it, animate it's transparency/lightness.

FranOnTheEdge
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks, sorted.

gaianix
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Detonationfilm has free muzzle flash footage.
..... thnx;)

earlyworm
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
You probably have a pretty decent collection of muzzle flash stock footage already. Trawl through any DVDs you may have and find some muzzle flashes that you like the look of. Use them as reference to paint up some shapes in Photoshop.

Having a couple of reference frames will also help when you come to compositing the final images.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.