PDA

View Full Version : Premiere, AfterEffects & PhotoShop

FranOnTheEdge
01-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I have a sequence of images created in PhotoShop, well - drawing's scanned in and then saved as .png's with some transparency.

I know I can save those as a mov in Premiere to preserve the transparency, which I then want to import into After Effects so I can have that sequence running in my After Effects composition.

Once in AE, I managed to get the transparency to work by choosing "difference" in the mode for the sequence in the timeline, "Screen" also works.

But now that I have the sequence in AE, I find the drawings are too light, I'd like to have the dark drawn lines as light and the white areas as black, but when I attempt to achieve this, I loose the transparency.

Silhouette Luma does however give me a totally black silhouette with transparency as I wanted, but is there a way to swap the black for the white? do a sort of invert/negative operation on the sequence?

Or do I have to go back to an image editor and work on each image in the sequence individually before bringing them into AE?

CCRider
01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Try applying a levels or exposure effect to an adjustment layer inside After Effects. Try precomposing the drawing layer if the above causes you to loose your transparency.

FranOnTheEdge
01-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Try applying a levels or exposure effect to an adjustment layer inside After Effects. Try precomposing the drawing layer if the above causes you to loose your transparency.

I'll try the adjustment layer thing - didn't know there were adjustment layers in AE as well as PhotoShop. Thanks.

What does "precomposing" mean?

CCRider
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
In some situations, it is necessary to force a certain layer containing effects or a layer that relies on interaction with other layers to be rendered before other elements in order for them to behave properly. This is accomplished by "Precomposing" them.
That's the amazingly simplified and incomplete explaination. There are numerous scenarios where you would need to precompose a layer or group of layers in order to acheive a certain effect, way to many for me to be able to expain.
I would recommend pulling up your AE help and just type in "Precompose" to get your feet wet.
It will likely turn up many hits...
It's a technique that's not hard to do but is crucial to learn when and where to use it in order to achieve advanced (and sometimes not so advanced) effects in After Effects.

If you've never needed it before, once you learn where to use it, it'll really open a lot of doors/ideas for you. Happy Reading!
:cool:

FranOnTheEdge
01-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, it's possible that "Precompose" might indeed be handy, since I had noticed that things further from the camera than certain of the "Fog" layers - had some distortion on them, which may be okay in some circumstances, but not in others, so it would be nice to know exactly what to do to control this effect.

CCRider
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
For that, you may want to also check the "Continuously Rasterize" switch.
Obviously just a guess since I haven't seen your project, but sounds like it could possibly have something to do with the issue you just described.

:)

FranOnTheEdge
01-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Okay, but on what do I use that "continuously rasterise"?

On the fog image layer that I think is causing the warping? Or on the thing behind it that is being affected?

And... now I think of it, I think this warping was happening in an earlier render, where I had tried out the "Adjustment Layer" button, but I'm not sure what it was supposed to affect - when it said "will affect only all layers behind it"

What does it mean by "behind"?

Is it talking about from the active camera's point of view - or does it mean the order of things in the time-line list?

Also, I'm still unclear on what "Precompose" means... unless you mean putting a certain collection of things inside its own composition, and then putting that composition into the main-time line?

But won't that mean that that inner composition acts like a strip of film running on a screen? I.e. things can no longer travel between what's inside that comp?

Only around it, like walking around a tv instead of being inside it?

Because if so, then I've done that before, when it suited the situation - handy in certain circumstances.

There's quite a lot on precompose in the help, but I haven't had time to read it all, as I'm currently working on an anime hand drawing project. On paper and in PhotoShop.

CCRider
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
And... now I think of it, I think this warping was happening in an earlier render, where I had tried out the "Adjustment Layer" button, but I'm not sure what it was supposed to affect - when it said "will affect only all layers behind it"

What does it mean by "behind"?

Adjustment layers affect all layers beneath it in the timeline. This refers to the stacking order.
Layers on top of the adjustment layer won't be affected.

Okay, but on what do I use that "continuously rasterise"?

"continuously rasterise" was really just a stab in the dark...since I haven't seen your project I couldn't say with any accuracy what your issue was. I just offered that as a possible suggestion. If the layer with the problem is footage that has already been rendered, then "continuously rasterize" isn't the problem. The best explanation of why to use this feature is in the help files...search for "continuously rasterize" and the very first entry returned has a very clear explanation. :)

Also, I'm still unclear on what "Precompose" means... unless you mean putting a certain collection of things inside its own composition, and then putting that composition into the main-time line?

That is how you precompose. The how is quite simple as you just explained, but the why is what makes it such an invaluable tool/trick. There are some effects that can't be done without precomposing the dependant layers...reading up on it will definitely give you a clearer understanding that a quick example from me. :)

It sounds like we may be overcomplicating things a bit. From your original post, the levels adjustment should do what you need without getting hung up on precomposing etc...but still worth the read because it is handy knowledge!

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.