PDA

View Full Version : Horrifying Physique Problem in Converting Biped to Bones

J-Dude
01-01-2009, 01:46 AM
I work in Max 7, and only very recently did I realize that IK was an extremely effective implement compared to using the biped system for characters. Well, I wanted to make a recent biped-rigged character and convert it to a simple bones system. I learned I could snapshot the biped bones and then use those as normal bones without the hassle of character studio. I've tried this and have been trying to rig with physique (I was forced to entirely reconstruct the rig). I've run into a few major snags though.

Both the end-link of the thumb, and the link for the head are missing in the modifier, unable to have their envelopes or vertex assignments edited, though they are apparently listed as being part of the rig.

If worst comes to worst, I'll likely just do away with the biped bones altogether, hack apart pieces of a clone of the character model and use those for a bones system, but I'd rather not do that because as it is, the rig is able to handle the twist of the forearm perfectly without any editing on my part, and using a different system would likely force me to spend countless hours adjusting envelopes until the forearm twist works properly again.

The weird thing about these biped bones is that even after they've been snapshotted, when they are used in a rig, they're links take the exact same shapes. Even the links for the hand are divided by fingers the same way it did when it was part of a biped based system. I don't begin to understand that...

Does anyone understand why I'm having this link vanishing act?

PEN
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Do not use Phsique, Use the Skin modifier.

J-Dude
01-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Do not use Phsique, Use the Skin modifier.

But doesn't Skin ONLY use envelopes, and not have any specific vertex control? Envelopes tend to be rather imprecise...

If I'm wrong here, tell me Skin's capabilities; it wouldn't be the first time that a tool has been infinitely more capable than I understood.

Mr-Bullfrog
01-07-2009, 01:43 AM
But doesn't Skin ONLY use envelopes, and not have any specific vertex control?
Nope, skin lets you adjust weighting on a per-vertex level. Basically anything physique can do, skin does, but better. :D

Plus it has a whole lot of extra goodness. Definitely check it out.

-Jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2009, 01:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.