PDA

View Full Version : Clone uvs

Kanga
12-31-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi
Modo 302
Unwraping a character (modo uv tools are magic). I only want one eyeball uv island which both eyes share. Cloning a sub element seems to copy the uvs as well. If they are deleted then they are gone. Duplicating seems to duplicate the entire mesh. The eye is a seperate element but it is part of the same model

If I were to do this with an arm also, what would be the best way to go about it.
Thanx in advance.

Chris

softdistortion
01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I just select the polys on the part I want to dup/share and I copy paste ...then without deselecting...move to new position.

If you look at the UV window you can see the geometry has overlapping islands now - if you need to, you can select the individual islands by selecting (LMB double clicking) their respective geometry in the model window.

Kanga
01-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanx sortdistortion!
Yeah I have that working, but don't the overlapping uvs cause a problem for painting and for use in other applications like zbrush, which shows the overlapping uvs as red with uv check?
Thanx for the reply will test this out.

Cheerio Chris

softdistortion
01-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Yeah, there are things that won't work with overlapping UV...maybe I misunderstood you... when you say "one eyeball uv island which both eyes share" ...to me that means overlap, otherwise they aren't sharing it....anyways, the method I describe works if you want them to not overlap...just do the last step to move one of the islands aside.

Doug816
01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
don't the overlapping uvs cause a problem for painting and for use in other applications like zbrush,

They do but wasn't that what you asked for in the first post?

Kanga
01-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Thanx guys.
You will see in low poly modelling that limbs, ears or other parts of the model that are not viewed at the same time are mirrored. This means for a texture size more room for higer detail on the parts that are textured. I was wondering if this could be done in Modo because you are really copying a textured part and fliping it. Seems at this stage it doesnt work so I will have to experiment further. Thanx for the replies.

Cheerio Chris

softdistortion
01-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanx guys.
You will see in low poly modelling that limbs, ears or other parts of the model that are not viewed at the same time are mirrored. This means for a texture size more room for higer detail on the parts that are textured. I was wondering if this could be done in Modo because you are really copying a textured part and fliping it. Seems at this stage it doesnt work so I will have to experiment further. Thanx for the replies.

Cheerio Chris

That can be done in Modo and any other 3D app I'm aware of...

First, you wouldn't be flipping the UV if you want to save space like you mention in your last post. Just leave them alone as overlaped...the mesh is the part you want to mirror, not the UV island.

If you want to use Normalmaps you would have to do your Zbrush work on the arm/leg to be mirrored and apply the Nmaps the same way. The only time it would not work with overlapped (red) UV islands is if you want to have non mirrored textures and Nmaps bump etc.

Kanga
01-08-2009, 02:14 PM
@softdistortion.
Thankyou very much for your reply.

Cheerio Chris

softdistortion
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
No Problem, glad if it helped.

One final point...the only place you might do this kind of mirror method to save texture space is on non crucial background elements...Some might be able to pull it off, but generally I would say current hero characters would demand unique textures for arms legs etc or it would look hackish .

Kanga
01-11-2009, 02:40 PM
As always thanx for your reply.

I dont agree with the hackish comment, check out the textures here.
http://www.pioroberson.com/

softdistortion
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I was thinking "current" in the vein of GOWII type hero characters....but maybe they were mirrored too, just done real well. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.