PDA

View Full Version : Wii always hurts the one you love

PentamiterBeast
12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
So I been workin on this lil piece, and Im gettin ready to finish it off and bake it ready for finals... Any crits/advice/fresh eyes at this juncture=greatly appreciated.

ive kinda done a hack job of rigging to cross over a couple control systems, so ignore the couple lil technical issues (deforms, the odd vibrate/twitch on a stationary limb).

thanks

www.rebelhill.net/wiiwip.mov

iGaret
01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Very good flow with the characters animation! It seems a bit empty though, and the strap of the wiimote looks a little weird when it's connected.

PentamiterBeast
01-03-2009, 08:30 PM
empty.... care to elaborate???

I assume it seems a lil devoid, as it really needs beeps and bloops to give the full impression of what he's doing before the accident...

and yeah... the strap setup is broken... will fix that after main character is finalised.

f_jo
01-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Kind of like it on the earlier parts specially when he excited to get playing...

but when the alien swings the wiimote I feel the swinging don't feel "crunchy"... not satisfying... also the reaction isn't really hit me.

hope that helps

ajfrank
01-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Nice animation man! I like the idea you got going on. I'm not going to give a big critique because it is a longer animation and I'll probley fill up too much space rambling. You do have a few small issues though:
1:One being the strap but i think you already know about that
2:You do have some isolated movements going on. Isolated movement are bad to have in animation. Im not going to point out all the cases of it, but i'll point it out where its most noticeable:
-at the beginning when he lifts his hand up with the remote(106-196). Only his head and arms are moving at that time. I'll add some kind of movement somewhere else also in the body, like maybe in his upper body, or him still settling a little with his weight, add anything, even if its very, very slight, just so you can break the "frozen moments".
-856-940 is your next noticeable area of isolated movements. When ever i turn my characters head, I never just turn the head. I'll turn the shoulders some(or even just move them), just a little, and maybe his chest. All depending on the situation and how he's turning his head.
When he lift his hand up to scratch his head, maybe you can lower the other hand down a little at the same, or around the same, time.
I'll also have his body move very slightly in some way whether it'll be him settling or shifting his weight slightly. I'm just not a big fan of seeing frozen body parts.
Honestly those are the easiest things to fix. Just make sure you have no flat lines in the graph editor, except where's necessary. Given them the slightest curve would be better than a complete flat line.

3:It may be just me but reading him throwing the remote is unbelievable to me. He's swinging his arm down and then at the bottom peek of the arc, the remote flies out and upwards. Before having the remote fly out i would have the arm coming up first then have the remote fly out. How you have it now, technically the remote should be flying towards the ground.

Those just the major things that sticks out to me. These are only my opinions. I can give some more but they'll be more on the smaller details side and maybe personal choices I would do.
Overall though very good. I like it. I like his personality and expressions. Sorry for the long message.
:thumbsup:

PentamiterBeast
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
hey... dont worry bout the longer reply... is appreciated...

strap, yeah... its rigging is via constraints and targeting... which broke down when i changed rigging setup in the main character... once im done with the character... a couple of resets and the strap will fix itself...

otherwise... I initially had little sways in his body as he was clicking the remote... but ti looked overplayed... just TOO loose... maybe ill do a lil something at the shoulders to try and land somewhere inbetween...

also at the end... ur right... that remote holding hand does need to do something... it does stop dead after picking the remote up... so Ill defo give that a lil more life...

but the throw of the remote... OMG... UR SO RIGHT... HTF did i miss that one??? Ive added one extra key mid-arc, and its SOOOOOOOOO much better...

this is why I love fresh eyes...

thanks much bro.

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.