PDA

View Full Version : Parenting and Biped Animation Question

Asphalt
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm new to XSI and loving it, but I'm currently stuck trying to animate a prop with a rigged character, and am not sure how to approach this problem.

I have 2 objects: a biped character and a cigar.
I've made the cigar a child of the biped character by dragging its geometry under the biped character in XSI's Explorer. This works great when I need to scale/translate both objects together.

Now I am trying to animate the biped character and have used XSI's CDK for rigging. The problem is that when I use the rig to deform the biped character, the cigar does not move with it.

What do I need to do to move the cigar with the rest of the biped character?

My guess is that it has something to do with adding the cigar to the biped rig, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Littleberu
12-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Parent the cigar to the bone of the hand you want it to move (or the head).

Do a pose constraint on both the hand and the head if you plan move the cigar from the mouth to the hand. By doing so, you'll be able to mix the percentage of influence the constraint has on both.

But, yeah, Parenting to the hand bones of the head bone will make it move at the same time. You can also use the "Parent" button on the right side of the screen, and follow the instruction on the bottom of the screen. Left click will make the selected object the child, middle mouse will make the selected object the parent.

Anyway, hopes that help!

Asphalt
12-31-2008, 06:34 AM
Thank-you Littleberu, that was very helpful. It was so obvious after you explained it. For some reason I thought the only way to parent was through the Explorer, and there were so many possible things to parent to in the Explorer. I ended up using the "Parent" button to parent the cigar to the Biped.Head bone.

Much appreciated!

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2008, 06:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.