PDA

View Full Version : Empire Online: Tranformers 2 Pics (First pic of NEW Optimus Prime)

RobertoOrtiz
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=23925

vfx
12-30-2008, 11:11 PM
His head certainly looks better.

kelgy
12-30-2008, 11:46 PM
I dont see a difference(unless its hiding his mouth).
He still looks gangly, just beat up or something.

I am impressed they shot in Egypt.

Not many western movies have been shot around the pyramids.

Usually Morocco or Tunisia doubles for everything.

Venkman
12-31-2008, 12:02 AM
I dont see a difference(unless its hiding his mouth).
He still looks gangly, just beat up or something.

I am impressed they shot in Egypt.

Not many western movies have been shot around the pyramids.

Usually Morocco or Tunisia doubles for everything.

Yeah, they got to actually film on the pyramids, not just around them! here's some more goodies:

The final battle the military is helping Bay create is supposed to be an enormous firefight in Egypt, but much of it is being shot in the White Sands dunes in a town built over the roughly quarter-mile cleared span. There are rundown, mud-brick homes and shops, and along the edge of the town, a giant temple with smokestack-sized columns all of it built so it could be blown up.

After completing work in New Mexico, the cast and crew moved to Giza for scenes at the actual pyramids, getting first-time access to the 5,000-year-old site from the Egyptian government. "It plays a big plot point," Bay says, noting that they were allowed to shoot on the pyramids not just around them.

No foreign government would allow a U.S. military force like the one Bay assembled to march in, guns blazing, fighter jets swooping overhead, which is why so much of the climactic sequence had to be done in the USA, preferably on military property.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-12-28-transformers-main_N.htm

mushroomgod
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
apart the SFX work on the 1st film, I cant think of a single good thing about it, it was easly the worst film I saw at the cinima that year.

Although.....I was Michael Bay, so I should have known better :)

John-S
12-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Transformers 1 was fantastic in almost every way IMHO. I'm really excited about the 2nd, I just prey they ease up on the famous Bay Camera Shake!

thethule
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Lets hope that this time, he doesnt keep the cameras so close to the action that you cant see anything. That really annoyed me about Transformers. Amazing FX, but the camera was all over the place. Why dont directors learn? Same thing with the action shots in Quantum of Solace (especially the opening seq.)

As for the story, it was pretty bad, but for a M.Bay film, it was watchable. But i did leave the cinema feeling the same way i do after a McDonalds. I think i am really in the mood for a Big Mac, i go in and have one and even before i'm done, i regret it and leave feeling a bit empty.

Marc

kelgy
12-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Lets hope that this time, he doesnt keep the cameras so close to the action that you cant see anything. That really annoyed me about Transformers. Amazing FX, but the camera was all over the place.

**if he moves the camera all over the place in the pyramid shots so you can hardly tell where you are then he should be made to endure the Hom-Dai, worst of all ancient curses.

kael00
12-31-2008, 01:47 AM
apart the SFX work on the 1st film, I cant think of a single good thing about it, it was easly the worst film I saw at the cinima that year.

Although.....I was Michael Bay, so I should have known better :)

agreed.

I wonder how much damage the shooting did to the pyramids just so a pointless director can boast about it and stroke his peen.

Abaddon
12-31-2008, 03:10 AM
Although.....I was Michael Bay,..... :)

OMG....its Michael Bay! Get him! :wip:

Sampsonx
12-31-2008, 03:11 AM
hey - i know this is an old point.. but howcome in transformers one.. the textures of the untransformed vehicles was perfectly clean and shiny but when they were transformed all of a sudden magic dirt grime and scratches appeared?

BigPixolin
12-31-2008, 04:05 AM
hey - i know this is an old point.. but howcome in transformers one.. the textures of the untransformed vehicles was perfectly clean and shiny but when they were transformed all of a sudden magic dirt grime and scratches appeared?

Becuase cars look cooler clean and shiny and robots look cooler with battle damege.

JoshBowman
12-31-2008, 07:25 AM

That and it you take any CG created item that looks as clean and shiny as it's real life counter part and make it move it always looks out of place. They had to do the same thing with the CG Titanic even though it would have looked absolutely pristine at the docks they still had to dirty it up to make it look believable.

AdamHerbert
12-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Not seeing much of a difference in Optimus. I'll have to compare the two closer I guess.

I'm still unclear as to why people bash the first movie. It was based on a cartoon, which didn't have a deep plot to begin with. Why on earth would you expect some deep meaningful film? Enjoy it for what it is, giant alien robots beating each other up and Megan Fox. :thumbsup:

mccg
01-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm still unclear as to why people bash the first movie.
Because they still try to put it into a story, more or less successfull.

Boone
01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
A "new" Optimus Prime? Its just the same model as the last film except he looks like hes been in a scrap.

Mr Bay did a fairly decent job on the first one, and the VFX was absolutely incredible. But what is Spielburg and Bay going to offer in this sequel? I really want to see either a decent "Wrath of Kahn" story or a new destructive Deception the size of Metroplex or even Unicron. I want to see something REAL epic here!

Or failing that, Arcee being ridden by Megan Fox.:drool:

Michael5188
01-01-2009, 06:41 PM
That and it you take any CG created item that looks as clean and shiny as it's real life counter part and make it move it always looks out of place. They had to do the same thing with the CG Titanic even though it would have looked absolutely pristine at the docks they still had to dirty it up to make it look believable.

I agree to an extent. But Iron Man, especially the first test flight he did before it was painted, was perfectly shiny and it looked great. What made it look real were the slight scuffs and uneven polish that comes with simply holding a shiny object with your hand. I mean when he finished building the suit and tried it for the first time it didn't have battle damage all over it.

But again, what you say is very true, and I don't doubt that's a major reason they did beat the robots up a bit. I also agree that shiny cars and beat up robots look cool.

Shletten
01-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Say what you want to say about the first movie but it remains enjoyable in a certain way and that is how I feel for Transformers 2, I am looking foward to it. Especially if there is more action.

gjpetch
01-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm still unclear as to why people bash the first movie. It was based on a cartoon, which didn't have a deep plot to begin with. Why on earth would you expect some deep meaningful film?

I wasn't expecting anything deep and meaningful; what surprised me was that the film didn't even take itself seriously. The plot, character motivations, internal logic, etc. were just shockingly terrible. Its like the effects were done to the most sophisticated level by the worlds greatest talents, but the script was written by a rather dull 12 year old. I must admit I chuckled a couple of times though.

swampthing
01-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Biggest mistake transformers made was the same mistake spiderman made. Bad casting. Get rid of shia lawhateverhisnameis. Get rid of kirsten dunst. Both of these actors are so unlikeable it's painful to watch them.

The other thing i hated about transformers was all the lame attempts at comedy. The movies that take things like this seriously are much better than the ones that go the purposefully corny route.

Shletten
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah, when I went to the theater it was for watching a serious movie which it didn't deliver at all, that's why I was so disappointed.

CodeVeroby
01-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Biggest mistake transformers made was the same mistake spiderman made. Bad casting. Get rid of shia lawhateverhisnameis. Get rid of kirsten dunst. Both of these actors are so unlikeable it's painful to watch them.

Yeah but keep Megan Fox right ? her sexy looks are the pinnacle of the movie :D

BigPixolin
01-02-2009, 09:00 PM
How can you possibly take a movie that is made from a cartoon in the 80's about giant robots from outer space, that was designed to sell toys?

It is funny the things people can and cannot accept.

Giant robots from outer space that transform into automobiles-----Yeah I buy that.
Robots looking dirtier than the car version-------whoa whoa WTF? these people are crazy! Thats impossible!

maje3d
01-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Not seeing much of a difference in Optimus. I'll have to compare the two closer I guess.

I'm still unclear as to why people bash the first movie. It was based on a cartoon, which didn't have a deep plot to begin with. Why on earth would you expect some deep meaningful film? Enjoy it for what it is, giant alien robots beating each other up and Megan Fox. :thumbsup:

It depends. Have you ever read any of the comic books? The stories are far more fleshed out and generally leave much of the 80s cartoon cheese behind as they were also intended for an older audience. If you ever wanted to see a good modernization of our favorite robots in disguise, I'd recommend taking a look at IDW's reboot of Generation 1, particularly the Infiltration, Escalation, and Devastation series written by Simon Furman.

If you want something that doesn't completely override what's come before, Dreamwave's G1 and War Within series were pretty good and felt like the cartoon done right (everything that was good remained, and the crap was cut).

Just some food for thought.

johnstrieder
01-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I've watched it a while ago with the DVD in my puter and it was absolutely great. Why didn't I watched it in the Cinema? :wip:
Just ignore the cheesy stuff in it and have fun :buttrock:

KolbyJukes
01-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I loved Transformers, loved Shia & the rest of the cast, can't wait for the sequel. I'm a big fan of most of Bay's movies: The Rock, Bad Boys 1 & 2, Armageddon, and to a lesser extent the Island. Very fun, stylish, high-production-value action-comedies. But I guess I'm in the minority from all the bad-mouthing he gets from folks on the internet.

Geta-Ve
01-05-2009, 01:48 AM
I loved Transformers, loved Shia & the rest of the cast, can't wait for the sequel. I'm a big fan of most of Bay's movies: The Rock, Bad Boys 1 & 2, Armageddon, and to a lesser extent the Island. Very fun, stylish, high-production-value action-comedies. But I guess I'm in the minority from all the bad-mouthing he gets from folks on the internet.

No one seems to be able to enjoy a simple popcorn flick these days... :shrug:

kelgy
01-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I wasn't expecting anything deep and meaningful; what surprised me was that the film didn't even take itself seriously. The plot, character motivations, internal logic, etc. were just shockingly terrible. Its like the effects were done to the most sophisticated level by the worlds greatest talents, but the script was written by a rather dull 12 year old. I must admit I chuckled a couple of times though.

**yeah that was my reaction.
I thought it would be a bit better with Spielberg involved as executive producer(Gremlins, Back to the Future, Harry and the Hendersons, Roger Rabbit, Small Soldiers). I guess he was busy making sure IJ 4 would be as good as it could be. :scream:

But what really annoyed me was the constant camera movement during fx shots. Never seen a big fx movie where the director seemed completely disinterested in the creature fx. He moved the camera away from the robots, hid them around corners, in the distance, seemed to have very little interest in them unless they were in a shot with humans, except for the spy robot and the one made out of a cell phone.

He did the same thing in the Island with the chase scene. I could hardly tell it had flying motorbikes or whatever they were, the camera was constantly in big close ups on the main actors.

I didnt mind LeBoeuf, but the name of it was The Transformers, not Le Transboeufers.

paintbox
01-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Don't know if you've watched the original cartoons lately, but they were cheesy as well :)

Personally I thought the ending could have been better, and I would have preferred a more realistic approach, but all in all it's a great ride and on that Bay delivered. But Bay should really work on how to portray people in his stories, it's his weakest point. Enough said when I say "Pearl harbor" . In Transformers he had cast some good actors who could make anything work.

noxy
01-05-2009, 06:58 PM
As far as Bay goes, I was upset by Pearl Harbor, 'cause he was messing with historical events, but Transformers? He's filming a story based on a toy line, have at it with more explosions please.

Noxy

francomanko
01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
"I wasn't expecting anything deep and meaningful..."

Can someone add up how many times that's been said about films here? :)

Bharris
01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I would really love for michael bay to remove the red filter he throws over everything in his movies. Everyone in the first transformers looked like they had an outrageous tan, and I'm not a huge fan of always seeing people with greesy faces. I would also like the movie to take itself seriously. Remove the crappy humor and the movie would be a whole lot better.

kelgy
01-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Who in the production came up with the idea of the g grandfather's glasses being the focus of a treasure hunt? Anyone know for certain?
Why make it a pair of glasses instead of say, a piece of glass/weird looking rock chipped out of Megatron's eye that was kept as a family heirloom?

I am really intrigued by the genesis of that. Who thought of it and why? It is like something a drunken frat boy with no genre or comic book exposure would dream up if he and his college friends decided to make a movie on a whim, or its something out of a z grade 50s sci fi movie that couldnt afford an FX budget, so they make the sought after magical prize an every day object.

I just want to understand.

danshewan
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM

Agreed.

The only parts that really made me cringe were Optimus cowering in fear of waking LeBoeuf's parents, and that awful John Turturro strip / arrest / humiliation scene - really would've made an excellent deleted scene on the DVD.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the sequel.

kelgy
01-06-2009, 12:12 AM
He-Man is another movie being made based on an 80s cartoon made to sell toys. Should it be made as a silly joke movie as well?

**You mean re-made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyuT5Lge_-Y

sinistar
01-06-2009, 01:24 AM
the original plot for the cartoon would have been far, far cooler than Bays movie was.

the idea of the transformers crash landing here 4 million years ago is better than them arriving here in current day. it emphasized that they were an ancient species with millions of years of backstory. as well, the battle for energon and the race back to Cybertron to rule it is far more interesting to me than the battle for the mcguffin device that turns regular objects into transformers. Turning any object into a transformer devalues the characters whos characters we are supposed to be exploring here. If any object can turn into a transformer on the fly you're taking away from the depth of EVERY transformer in the movie.

all this garb of "oh it was based on a cartoon I didn't expect shakespeare" makes ZERO sense to me. Batman was based on a comic book character made to sell, comic books. Transformers was based on a cartoon made to sell toys. Who cares? The premise and fanbase of each are strong enough to garner over 150 milion dollar budget for a reason. And both should be treated with care. I suppose people in the "no shakespearean quality for cartoons camp" enjoyed the hell out of Batman and Robin playing hockey with Mr.Freeze in Batman Forever.

He-Man is another movie being made based on an 80s cartoon made to sell toys. Should it be made as a silly joke movie as well?

Michael5188
01-06-2009, 03:33 AM
the original plot for the cartoon would have been far, far cooler than Bays movie was.

the idea of the transformers crash landing here 4 million years ago is better than them arriving here in current day. it emphasized that they were an ancient species with millions of years of backstory. as well, the battle for energon and the race back to Cybertron to rule it is far more interesting to me than the battle for the mcguffin device that turns regular objects into transformers. Turning any object into a transformer devalues the characters whos characters we are supposed to be exploring here. If any object can turn into a transformer on the fly you're taking away from the depth of EVERY transformer in the movie.

all this garb of "oh it was based on a cartoon I didn't expect shakespeare" makes ZERO sense to me. Batman was based on a comic book character made to sell, comic books. Transformers was based on a cartoon made to sell toys. Who cares? The premise and fanbase of each are strong enough to garner over 150 milion dollar budget for a reason. And both should be treated with care. I suppose people in the "no shakespearean quality for cartoons camp" enjoyed the hell out of Batman and Robin playing hockey with Mr.Freeze in Batman Forever.

I see your point, and agree, but you can't exactly compare Batman, a legendary character that has had decades of reinvention and genius development, with Transformers. People take the "shakespear" approach with transformers because batman has actually had clever, indepth storylines with believable, deep characters. As far as the 80's tv series go, Transformers never really had that. (I don't know anything about the comics or recent shows) I think people are basically saying, I expect amazing stories from the batman films because the comics had them. I expect cheesy from the transformers film because that's what the show was.

This movie could have been entertaining and still had a more solid plot than it had though, like you said. It wasn't even all that bad for me until Sector 7 came in, then suddenly everything became a complete cheesfest.

TheMadArtist
01-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Are people still arguing/debating about Transformers? I've never seen a movie be anaylyzed as much as this one :D At least on the TFW2005 boards and other TF boards they're talking about the new movie. Move along folks.

Michael5188
01-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Are people still arguing/debating about Transformers? I've never seen a movie be anaylyzed as much as this one :D At least on the TFW2005 boards and other TF boards they're talking about the new movie. Move along folks.

No! Never! :)

By the way, I can't believe there's someone else on this forum who's actually from Sugar Land, I grew up there. Ha, small world...or internet.

kelgy
01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Transformers is a worthy subject to discuss when you are waiting for a render or experiencing a severe episode of procrastination.

Although it doesnt have the history of Batman, credit where credit is due. Transformers werent afraid to "kill" off a main character-or a dozen, like the did in the 86 movie. Ok so DC killed the Joker in the Dark Knight Returns, but it was suicide and he wasnt in his...prime(sorry).

Plus Transformers was in production for 2 years probably so maybe they had the idea of killing a main character first.

When they want to get in a new product line toy companies are ruthless in dealing with the old stock.
Major comics characters have more job security. :scream:

sinistar
01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I see your point, and agree, but you can't exactly compare Batman, a legendary character that has had decades of reinvention and genius development, with Transformers. People take the "shakespear" approach with transformers because batman has actually had clever, indepth storylines with believable, deep characters. As far as the 80's tv series go, Transformers never really had that. (I don't know anything about the comics or recent shows) I think people are basically saying, I expect amazing stories from the batman films because the comics had them. I expect cheesy from the transformers film because that's what the show was.

This movie could have been entertaining and still had a more solid plot than it had though, like you said. It wasn't even all that bad for me until Sector 7 came in, then suddenly everything became a complete cheesfest.

I agree the series had it's flaws. Ironical and contrary to what many people think though. The fact that it was a toy line actually enhanced the stories in a lot of ways. For example the killing off of Optimus Prime (due to a discontinuation of his toy and to create new toys). Ended up being one of the best things to happen to Transformers.

Each 20 minute episode wasn't exactly a contender for any epic writing award however as a whole, over the entirety of the series some excellent and amazing events and characters were fleshed out. The Constructicons had an over 9 million year history as did Optimus Prime who started out as a humble worker robot named Orion Pax. 50 million years ago the transformers were created by an organic race (Quintessons) as robot slaves who gained consciousness and ran their masters off the planet. So long ago that all records of these times were lost and the Transformers, like us, were left to wonder where they came from. To me the story is a logical progression for movies with themes such as "The Matrix" or "Terminator". This is a story LONG after the organics are gone when a mechanical species thrives as a civilization, similar to humans. Where evolution and technology are one in the same. Where there is no fantasy or magic but technology so advanced that we can't even comprehend them. Technology such as a robot being able to transform into an object the size of a micro cassette recorder. (Soundwave).

All of these things aren't going to happen in Bays transformers due to a lack of understanding of the mythology. Soundwave, one of the most beloved Transformers was striked from the first movie altogether because they were afraid he wouldn't work. Where movies like Batman Begins didn't strike anything out, Nolan MADE IT WORK. Bay chooses to strike important and interesting elements out altogether.

sinistar
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
**You mean re-made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyuT5Lge_-Y

believe me I know...quite sad what was done there and lets look at the similarities between THAT movie and Bay's Transformers.

-McGuffin, the war of He-Man was over a magical device instead of the RULE of Eternia. Bays Transformers the war was over a magical device instead of race for energon and the consequent RULE of Cybertron.

-The human element played a bigger role in attempt to make it easier for the audience to connect with the characters as well as budget. The story was actually about a boy and his girlfriend (they even brought the setting to EARTH instead of leaving it on Cybertron) Bay made the story more about ...a boy and his girlfriend than the robots. Making our Main characters simple backdrops.... and leaving out altogether the prospect of connecting with them.

-Key characters were left out due to budgetary and audience believability issues. Soundwave, Orco, Cringer, Sideswipe, Cliffjumper, etc...

-New Characters were created (whom noone cared about) Frenzy (reused name) and Gwildor

-Both were terrible movies with SOME neat effects that were not recieved well by the fans. However Transformers did excellently at the box office and with a general audience where MOTU did not. I'm still certain Transformers would have done EVEN better if they decided to keep a lot of the original elements in place so the majority of fans would still back it up. It may very well have helped make it a CG wankfest (or as bBay proudly proclaims, 'Popcorn Movie') into an engaging story, epic battle.

Still, I can't deny that Transformers was by and large a far better film...

redbellpeppers
01-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Who in the production came up with the idea of the g grandfather's glasses being the focus of a treasure hunt? Anyone know for certain?
Why make it a pair of glasses instead of say, a piece of glass/weird looking rock chipped out of Megatron's eye that was kept as a family heirloom?

I am really intrigued by the genesis of that. Who thought of it and why? It is like something a drunken frat boy with no genre or comic book exposure would dream up if he and his college friends decided to make a movie on a whim, or its something out of a z grade 50s sci fi movie that couldnt afford an FX budget, so they make the sought after magical prize an every day object.

I just want to understand.

To add to that:
Why do cybertronians keep their onboard guidance systems in their finger? right where some unsuspecting human might- just might- trigger the robot to zap him in the eyes, and make said robot imprint directions to the Allspark on their glasse? the same Allspark that he didn't want anyone else to have?

sinistar
01-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Most of the crappiest things about the movie were a DIRECT result of trying to change things....

Frenzy, the Jarjar binks of Transformers movie existed because they tried to find a way to change Soundwave..... noone who gives a rats ass about Transformers would ever liken Frenzy to Soundwave.

Bumblebee losing his ability to SPEAK. The writers had this
vision of Bumblebee and Spike first meeting and having to learn about each other purely by means of body language. (essentially Bumblebee playing charades with Sam) So they decided to shoehorn into the story that Bumblebee, one of the main transformers had lost his ability to speak and with all the technology they have, they couldn't repair his vocal processer. W.T.F?

Michael5188
01-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Bumblebee losing his ability to SPEAK. The writers had this
vision of Bumblebee and Spike first meeting and having to learn about each other purely by means of body language. (essentially Bumblebee playing charades with Sam) So they decided to shoehorn into the story that Bumblebee, one of the main transformers had lost his ability to speak and with all the technology they have, they couldn't repair his vocal processer. W.T.F?

Not to mention it starts working randomly at the end. Did I miss something, did someone fix it? Cause to me they just ended the battle, and suddenly it worked out of the blue.

Boone
01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
I think if there is one thing I would definitely change about this TF franchise is the 1hr long advert for joining the marine core. I watched it again recently and by god did that bit drag on. Saying that, the military thing was cool as it provided excuses for some wicked Decepticons like Blackout...

sinistar
03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
RaNot to mention it starts working randomly at the end. Did I miss something, did someone fix it? Cause to me they just ended the battle, and suddenly it worked out of the blue.

Ratchet fixed his vocal processor at the end. Which really didn't make any sense. He couldn't fix it before but for some reason he suddenly could fix it right infront of Sam so that Bumblebee could say "I want to stay with you" or whatever the hell he said.

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.