PDA

View Full Version : Subpatching, Freezing & Poly counts

Powerdots
12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Is there any way of "freezing" geometry without it increasing the poly count (it tends to further subdivide after freezing), but still being able to maintain its smooth contour? I tried playing with the "subpatch division" values in the General Options menu and then pressing "freeze" but the smooth soft contours of my geometry are still replaced with jagged hard edges. If I have the subpatch value set at either 2 or
3 and then freeze, it maintains the smoothness but vastly increases my poly count. So, to put it bluntly, is there a way of freezing my subpatched geometry to maintain the smoothness it has during its subpatched mode (before freezing) without vastly increasing the poly count?

-J. Leb

factorblank
12-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't think there is a way to do this. If you want to have only polygons, and keep the "smoothness", you need to have enough polygons to keep that kind of definition. Remember, polygons are composed of connected straight lines within a set of points, so you need enough of those close together to have the illusion of a curved space.

There might be some cases where you can merge polygons after freezing to help reduce the numbers, but I don't know of a tool that will automatically do this after freezing. If you find something, let me know!

Mucus
12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree with factorblanck, to have a really smooth polygonal object, we need to increase the number of polygons...I don't see any other ways.

But maybe could you tell us what kind of work are you doing? Maybe is there another things to do? :)

WillCameron
12-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Depending on the object, you could possibly select sections of it and run Smoothing over it with a few itterartions....
You could get it smoother, but its a fine line between keeping the shape and loosing it.

- Will.

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2008, 08:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.