PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2009 render passes and mia_exposure_simple

royter
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
i am rendering a simple beauty pass but when i batch render, the rendered image is not affected by the mia_exposure_simple node wich is attaached to my camera and mia_physical_sky system.
does the mia_exposure_simple works seamlessly with the maya 2009 passes or is there an additional step?

* i am using a mia_x_passes shader in my scene
* lens shader is checked on in my render globals

MSB
12-31-2008, 04:27 AM
hm, now that you are talking about. Yesterday, I was reading MR manual, and was trying to use the other exposure shader. I followed the steps exactly, and it didn't seem to work. In fact, I rendered things in HDR and passed the image to the shader to try the shader and no results ofc. Out of curiosity, why don't you render in HDR and fine tune it in photoshop/HDR shop or any other fine tuning programe, isnt it faster :shrug:

royter
12-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Out of curiosity, why don't you render in HDR and fine tune it in photoshop/HDR shop or any other fine tuning programe, isnt it faster

i do that sometimes.
But there must be a way to use the mia_exposure_simple with the 2009 render passes.

JasonA
01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
for me it was a bit of a different prob. When i use the simple exposure on my camera in a 2009 pass setup (and rendered out exr), only the beauty pass was affected. All of the other channels in the exr sill needed a gamma correction in post (like the exposure was not attached) So for me, it kinda works just not completely.

Gabba
01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I have the same problem with XSI. I posted the same question to the XSI community and what they said to me is that the lens shader is not processed for the framebuffers but only for the "beauty" pass.

royter
01-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I have the same problem with XSI. I posted the same question to the XSI community and what they said to me is that the lens shader is not processed for the framebuffers but only for the "beauty" pass.

hmmm...so i guess there's no way of using mia lens shaders and render passes.
i find that really anoying, hope we will have the option in maya 2010.

*when you guys talk about the "beauty" pass, i guess you are talking about the "master beauty" pass right? because if you choose a beauty render pass, you will get a "beauty pass" without the lense shader and another "master beauty" pass with the lens shader apllied.

Cheesestraws
01-02-2009, 03:10 PM
It does not make sense to gamma correct single passes. If you just want to correct the beauty so you can see what it will look like without compositing all the passes you can just use the master beauty or render a normal beauty pass and plug it into the preview section of the exposure node so you can use ipr to tune it.

royter
01-02-2009, 03:23 PM
It does not make sense to gamma correct single passes
i don't understand why.

If you just want to correct the beauty so you can see what it will look like without compositing all the passes
actually i want to do the opposite: i want to composite all my passes into one image so it will look exactly like the Master beauty pass or the render image in the render viewer.

can just use the master beauty or render a normal beauty pass and plug it into the preview section of the exposure node so you can use ipr to tune it
but what if i was rendering an animation, i dont want to repeat this process for each frame..

Cheesestraws
01-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Well some passes just are not meant to be gamma corrected, you could not for example gamma correct a normals pass. Why are you rendering in passes if you just want it to look exactly like the master beauty?

It should be easy enough to replicate the simple exposure settings in any compositor with so much more control. After all is that not the whole purpose of render passes to have more control of the look in post?

royter
01-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Why are you rendering in passes if you just want it to look exactly like the master beauty?

2 reasons:
-i wont to have the control to tweak each pass individually in post and i want to obtain the same result as the beauty pass just for the starting point.
-i want to separate my objects on different partitions

After all is that not the whole purpose of render passes to have more control of the look in post?
exactly, and i am using the passes work flow for the 2 reasons that i mentioned.
but i am satisfied with my lens shader effect in maya and i don't want to bother doing gamma correction in post.

Gabba
01-02-2009, 08:03 PM
*when you guys talk about the "beauty" pass, i guess you are talking about the "master beauty" pass right? because if you choose a beauty render pass, you will get a "beauty pass" without the lense shader and another "master beauty" pass with the lens shader apllied.

Yes, sorry, I was talking about the "master beauty" (in XSI is the main channel).

djx
01-03-2009, 01:42 AM
I'm with royterr on this. For me it is not the gamma though. But I still want to have my passes tone mapped (exposure applied) so that I can avoid the aliassing artifacts that result from HDR renders. I rarely need to adjust the exposure in post beyond subtle tweaks anyway, so it makes sense to me to apply an exposure node at the render stage, where the filtering can be applied at the sample level, rather than at the pixel level in post. I dont understand why they did not make this possible.

-- David

ghostlake114
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
well, fact, I am tired of hearing the Dev team complain, explain about buffer this, buffer that, is it too difficult men, or you guys hack them into mess.

Right, strait on Vray Maya, it is developed many years laters, integrate into Maya just for few years (3 year now), and now it deals great with buffer, even tonemap them, gamma them, display frame buffer when rendering...

Until now... I am...really disappointed of MR dev team, the only thing I use MR is fast SSS... and now Vray is trying to give a better SSS...

If, you dont tend to write any custom shader, dude turn to Vray... or we will complain from version to version for NOTHING

bigbossfr
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Same problem.
I have a lens simple exposure (gamma 2.2), i have renderPass.
When i render my image, all pass haven't a gamma 2.2 :argh:, no lens shader, it is shit when i composite my image.

Wtf ? :banghead:

magsnus
02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I posted about this problem a long time ago (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=647266&highlight=tonemap), im not surprised it hasnt been fixed. I have used MR for five years now and no matter how in love with it you may be when it comes to working with it, it just totally SUCKS!

The time you will spend on trying to get around all its flaws you might as well write your own render engine in the end. This is the first time that i actually write something negative about MR but it has cost me sooo much of my spare time that im totally over it.

nutskaya
03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
All Maya render post effects, like gamma correction with lens shader, glow, (and maybe paint effects) , only works on masterbeauty, why?
Because Maya calculate first the passes, not the postpo render effects..
The only way to make this work, its "traditional layers".....
:(
I didn't find another way yet...

royter
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
searched the web for tools/scripts/worarounds that can apply the mia exposure post effect to your individual passes.But nothing exists.
the only hope that i see so far, is a new service pack for Maya 2009 or simply Maya 2010 that allows users to uses render passes together with mia_exposure (wich is way more essential than other post efrects)

nutskaya
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't think autodesk fix it, because, it's not really a bug, maybe they can add just an option to allow camera shaders to be applied after the split of the passes, but if this happens...we have normal passes, Ao passes etc.. with gamma correction...And i don't think this works fine, we'll have another kind of problems.

Ash-Man
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Itís not currently supported.
The passes are calculated at the Shader level, and the exposure lens is at the camera level, thatís why you canít see it in the passes

royter
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
then how is the user supposed to apply the MR lens_shader effects to his render passes?

nutskaya
03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
The user canīt do this.....for the moment.
For correct the gamma, the only way is just use gamma correction nodes in the shader ( and you know this only works if all your scene has textures, if you have procedural textures and files mixed, donīt work) , if you want to correct the exposure, sorry, but the only way is using Nuke or shake...or waiting for somebody really smart who find a workarround for it...
:(

BlindFish
03-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't think that you will have the same result if you add your passes with the gamma correction aplied with the lens shader in post and if you add your passes and then put a gamma correction after in post

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2009, 09:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.