PDA

View Full Version : ENVIRONMET: Melody Ranch-Western Set

fiercestudios
06-23-2003, 06:15 AM
Once again, trying to create my own painterly style. parts of this image is flat looking (I know) but it's intended. With all of the photorealistic art and artists trying to achieve photo real stuff, I thought I'd take a different road. Hope you like it. The scene is based off of Melody Ranch, Gene Autry's old western studio sets. Made in Lightwave this was my first CG painting. While not my best, I hope it inspires artsist to take CG in new directions, photo-real can only take you so far. Thanks to all who make comments, and vote.

http://www.fiercestudios.com/IMAGES/SmallTown.jpg

dimitrios_c
06-23-2003, 07:37 AM
I like it! It's kind of bizzare because it looks like 3D, but the textures look painterly, and even some sections look entirly painted. Texturing and lighting is tops!:beer: :thumbsup: :applause:

id_ivan
06-23-2003, 08:24 AM
No offense, but this style has adopted by many 3D artist, Dmitri Savinov for instance. I don't see any different if i supposed to see one, from any photoreal except you use standard renderer. You use photoreal content as material, doesn't it meant to achieve photo real image?
OK, that's just me. Your image is outstanding (except this is a 'flat unphoto real' that i don't agree).:shrug:
BTW, where's everybody?

fiercestudios
06-23-2003, 06:38 PM
the point is trying out new things in 3D.. As for the people, I don't think I'm a good enough character artist to add people. If I did I think it would take you out of the moment. I suck as a character modeler..

id_ivan
06-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Joel, I don't meant to cause you model a chartr, first time i open up your work, it was amaze me and i wonder why there's nobody reply on your post. As usual, I love your works. keep 'em comin, buddy

fiercestudios
06-24-2003, 05:18 AM
Ahhh about the people posting.. hmm yeah that is odd. People post on some of the worst images. I had hoped for at least some good negitive comments, something to point me in a new direction, ANYTHINGS. Not sure where everyone is. Maybe they all hate me for being honest about the Hulk film lol who knows... Thank for all who had something to say about the work, I love CG, it has so much potential as a fine art.

Sceme
06-24-2003, 09:06 AM
what i think..only that water looks little weird but hey...had to find something, that's awesome work, love your mood.

do u have any bigger....so i could put it on my desktop:drool:

ShakingColor
06-24-2003, 10:30 AM
the texture of wood is good, but the light from the window inside and the sunlight is not .

DAREONER
06-24-2003, 10:50 AM
:thumbsup: yes !! good texture

blindleader
06-24-2003, 11:17 AM
the background is killing it. When I scroll the image up so I can only see the lower half in my browser it looks much better.

that sharp shadow cutting across the facades also kills it. It brings out the fact that the facades are very flat and 2 dimensional.

the vertical convergance is killing it. you might want to rethink the camera position, or make it a 2 point perspective (perspective correction) -however it's done in LW, don't know) because I get the feeling the buildings are falling backwards.

fiercestudios
06-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Link to larger version 2000 X1600 (http://www.fiercestudios.com/port/SMALLTOWN.htm)

id_ivan
06-25-2003, 04:39 AM
:scream: thanksssss!! :cool: you're so nice buddy..

fiercestudios
06-25-2003, 05:31 AM
it's funny no one has noticed the major graphic error in the image. It's almost as bad as the upsidedown airplane stamp (thats the hint)

Smarts to the first one who guesses right.. look at the larger version for best results...

-JP

Digiegg
06-25-2003, 08:03 AM
yea i like the texture. good job.:)

dimitrios_c
06-25-2003, 08:52 AM
it's funny no one has noticed the major graphic error in the image. It's almost as bad as the upsidedown airplane stamp (thats the hint)

Ok here is a stab in the dark... Keep in mind and I'm from Australia and haven't a clue about american history but has it got something to do with the time period its set in, and perhaps USA was not known as the USA in that particular period? I have know idea.

victor throe
06-25-2003, 11:55 AM
the haze that is obscuring the trees behind the building is quite strong

id maybe add some of that to the buildings

apart from that i quite like it

jason-slab
06-25-2003, 12:19 PM
nice work, it's always good to see ppl trying new styles, much better than a photoreal bottle or something(this is just my opinion ppl)
don't get me wrong those images are technically good, and i'd love to be able to do them, but then i love creative art more!!

anyway nice work.
how about darkening the side part of the building just a little, just seems to draw my attention, and i think theres something funky happening at the top of the third top window

|jason

unLevel
06-25-2003, 12:52 PM
I agree with stal3fish make those buildings a tad darker...

very nice image regardless, thanks for the desktop version! :buttrock:

sampi
06-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by stal3fish
nice work, it's always good to see ppl trying new styles, much better than a photoreal bottle or something(this is just my opinion ppl)
don't get me wrong those images are technically good, and i'd love to be able to do them, but then i love creative art more!!

anyway nice work.
how about darkening the side part of the building just a little, just seems to draw my attention, and i think theres something funky happening at the top of the third top window

|jason

and i'm with u man .
i love this kind of work .

fiercestudios
06-25-2003, 06:29 PM
nope, this is a graphical error not historical. Another hint, it's in the lower half of the picutre not the upper half. I'll let everyone in on the error at the end of the day.

samtack
06-25-2003, 06:51 PM
well youve ruined my afternoon!! spent the last 30 minutes trying to find that damn error...now im all frustrated.....btw very nice work :)

fiercestudios
06-25-2003, 07:07 PM
OK ok!!! I'll let everyone in on my bonehead mistake!!!!! if you look at the crates.... the shadow is upsidedown!!!!! (you can see it much better in the higher rez link.

I -painted in- the shadow because I paint all of my textures, but when I added in the crate I flipped it the wrong way.

I did'nt notice the error until I sent it to my printers. Since I do these things as limited prints it would be a huge mistake on my part to change the art afetr people have already purchase them in the series... so the way it stand is the way it shall be for all time. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!! oh well

lol

Zephirus
06-25-2003, 09:18 PM
this is just great. The mood is very well done and the colors are beautiful. ::congrats::

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.