PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up data in bvh format [n00b inside]

ktiniatros
12-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi all, great forum here !

i want to ask cause i dont get it, what do we mean when we say to clean up motion captured data that are in bvh format.i downloaded some bvh from http://www.animazoo.com/Free_downloads.aspx.

what i want to do is: my professor assigned me to use some filters that suppose to cleap up bvh files. this is a preparation for my thesis. but i dont undestand what will i see if a bvh will be cleaned up. my prof went holidays for 2 weeks and cant contact him and i dont want to let these 2 weeks go away without working on that.

thanks everyone in advance and sorry for my bad english, working on that! :XXXXX

Mr. D
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Hello

You should be able to open a bvh file in a program like notepad(or better NotePad+ the freeware program) to look at the differences after you run a filter.

A bvh file basically shows your skeletal heirarchy (bone offset from parents), followed by lines of rotational data for bones plus a translation data for the root node and time stamp.

Filters for cleanup tend to work in two main ways
1)key reduction, compares frame to determine how much change has occurred bytween frames. Not enough change drop the frame. You control parameters to determine what rate of change.

2) noise reduction or smoothing of data, clean up of spikes occuring because of capture, or keeping data within specified ranges.

as you know more complex than just that but basic.
so open a file, run your filter, open new file and compare to old to see changes.

Mr. D

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.