PDA

View Full Version : Disney's G-Force Trailer (along with CarsToon Shorts)

RobertoOrtiz
12-30-2008, 01:53 AM
http://home.disney.go.com/ (it is on the videos section)

There goes the We3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We3) film...

Littleberu
12-30-2008, 02:25 AM
Well, it certainly is an original concept, talking furry animals.

Now, about that We3 movie, maybe someone will take you seriously and really do a movie about it. And you know the odds that the movie being good.

RobW720
12-30-2008, 02:37 AM
sweet insect jesus.... its.... its everything wrong with writing for film and people are going to eat this up with a damn spoon.

at least the visuals look good and its givin people jobs but oh man....

Romanthony
12-30-2008, 02:45 AM
I clicked out of the trailer by the time it said 'from Walt Disney Pictures'. That's all I ever needed to see. Yet another 'Underdog' and 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua' stinker, eh? *yaaawwwnn*

NanoGator
12-30-2008, 02:48 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

cresshead
12-30-2008, 03:10 AM
coun't find it...there's no "video" section!
crunchy site...put me off...anyone with a youtube link for this?

ahh...found a link!
youtube link>>

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-k7PqTHsQ

Stormy151
12-30-2008, 03:31 AM
For anyone that's terrified, like I was when they saw "G-Force" this has nothing to do with Gatchaman, or Battle of the Planets as it was known here in the States. Whew!

I probably won't be seeing it, but it looks like the effects are well done, if anyone from Disney is reading- great job! :applause: Kids are going to love it!

Howitzer
12-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Heh. It'll probably do pretty well in the box office. Kids are really going to want to see this.

Damnit. logged into my old account by accident.

frogspasm
12-30-2008, 05:46 AM
I really hope it doesn't suck. I think it looks like a hell of a lot better movie than Beverly Hills Chihuahua. (edit: after hearing the guinea pig's dialog, hope is starting to fade...sigh).

Trivia note: This is the feature directorial debut of Hoyt Yeatman, the co-founder of the vfx house Dream Quest Images before it got bought out by Disney and became the Secret Lab.

beaker
12-30-2008, 06:10 AM
if anyone from Disney is reading- great job! :applause: Kids are going to love it!sony imageworks is doing the vfx.

badashx
12-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I've seen nothing more than the trailer and I think Hoyt Yeatman is a true pioneer but as a general rule special effects guys don't have a good track record with direction

beaker
12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
...but as a general rule special effects guys don't have a good track record with directionReally, they don't? Pirates 1-3, Benjamin Button, Blade, Terminator, Aliens?

Can you name a vfx guys that did really bad films? Some kind of misses by vfx guys: Timemachine wasn't amazing or anything and that was directed by an animator but it wasn't bad. Journey to the Center of the earth was decent.

thomaspecht
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
what about AvP 2 ? ;)

beaker
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
what about AvP 2 ? ;)ahh yea, good point.

Gentle Fury
12-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I talked to someone at Sony about working on this one a month ago, and they were like, everything looks good just send us your rate and availability and we can go from there......I told them my rate (very standard compositor rate) and they said I was WAY over what they were looking to pay.....is this common with Sony? (being cheap) or did I happen to talk to someone looking for Jr artists without knowing it?

badashx
12-31-2008, 04:20 AM
Really, they don't?...

I thought The Time Machine was directed by Well's grandson or something like that?

I'll preface this by saying it's very subjective and you can use any number of measures: whether you look forward to future films from these guys, whether they made/ got to make more films, how well their films are critically received or how much box office they take (and I'm picking and choosing which one I use to make my points ;) ).

I said "general rule" and given your examples I'd say you're arguing for both sides :) Cameron and Fincher(does matte painting photography count? Perhaps his large body of commercial work rules him out of the argument) have proven themselves to be great filmmakers and appear to have a preternatural ability when you look at their body of work and how long it took to start making great films.

I really like Blade, think Norrington is very talented and look forward to his next film but have you SEEN League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Last Minute? PotC VFX are incredible for all three but are you telling me there is actually a coherent and interesting story in the last 2? I can't judge Journey. It may well be a great popcorn flick but history leads me to wonder if he gets another chance and if so whether he can move on to become a solid filmmaker.

Here are a few VFX-directors off the top of my head and their arguable efforts:

Joe Johnston - I'm being very tough including him as he's definitely made a successful move to directing and he can at least put out something watchable, but most of his work apart from the October Sky I wouldn't go out of my way to rent(and sadly the world disagrees with me on the awesomeness of The Rocketeer).I do have great hope for him though and wish he'd been on Wolfman from the start.

Stefan Fangmeier - Eragon: um, some nice dragons. A big film to try and make on your first time out.

The Strause's Brothers - AvP2: Right or wrong the emphasis is now on the action-horror elements and you know, it does what it says on the tin. Head and shoulders above AvP in my opinion(and on less money i think) but reception was mixed and I'd have a hard time getting most friends to come round mine to watch it.

Douglas Trumbull - Silent Running/Brainstorm: again it hurts to say this as I happen to like both films but I don't think either were critical successes. I watched Silent Running as a kid and daren't watch it now as i might still cry when the robots *spoiler alert * get killed :) Stupid ending though. Strange Days was a total rip off of Brainstorm. Damn it, I'm going to have to take Trumbull off this list :D

Phil Tippet - Starship Troopers 2: done on a super low budget I understand but easily the worst of the series in terms of story and execution.

Norrington - LoeG: a shame as I think some parts of it show off his visual flair but the rest is lost in a complete mess. Not all his fault, I know. The biggest shame is it's turned him off directing since

Stan Winston - Pumpkinhead: It has it's fans and frankly God Bless Him, he was a legend.

Now Hoyt! I wish him all the best, I think they've all worked hard to get where they are and deserve success but the odds are stacked against them. I don't think any of the above wanted to make unsuccessful or mediocre movies. Movie making is hard and stepping up to the big chair to try and wrangle thousands of people and element into a good film isn't easy for any first time director given the time and money pressures.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to direct. I'm glad they get a chance because they know how these types of movies usually get made and where to cut a lot of the waste. Often though its their filmmaking and storytelling inexperience that means these movies aren't everything they could be. Perhaps their strength is also their weakness because they're invariably always going to helm effects-heavy, story-lite affairs before they can move onto something meatier. Sadly I don't think doing those kind of movies let a lot of these guys move on to something meatier and grow as film makers.

Me, I'm probably going to be cautious when Rob Bottin,Dennis Muren or Ken Ralston announce their directorial debuts on Jurrasic Park 4, The Mask 3 or Jumanji 2.

http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/5299

As ever, your mileage may vary.

badashx
12-31-2008, 04:28 AM
...and after all that I totally forgot Mark Dippe's "Spawn".

Pixanaut
12-31-2008, 05:29 AM
...and after all that I totally forgot Mark Dippe's "Spawn".

Spawn...

*shudders*

beaker
12-31-2008, 08:03 AM
I thought The Time Machine was directed by Well's grandson or something like that?Yea, his grandson was an animation director. He animated Roger Rabbit.

Trenox
12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
good post badashx! I was unnaware that rob bottin and Murren where about to direct. Should be.. interesting :p

badashx
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
good post badashx! I was unnaware that rob bottin and Murren where about to direct. Should be.. interesting :p
Ah, sorry I was taking the mickey a bit, they aren't directing(to my knowledge), though Ralston really was rumoured on Jumanji 2 so I wouldn't say never.

*edit after seeing emoticon on a proper browser* :D

angel
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, kids are going to be all over this. I'm affraid my kids will ask me to take them... I'll say "go tell mommy to take you" :D

unchikun
12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
I thought this was G-force based off the weekday afternoon cartoon. However, I'm a big fan of guinea pigs! Unfortunately the animation looks very dodgy and dialogue using snoop lingo is so old.

It's a shame carl and ray from the blockbuster commercials didnt get developed into a movie:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vrsBaArt5-A

ysvry
01-03-2009, 04:16 AM
great, kinda cool cia droped that scientology man for computer generated rodents, to make their bussiness salonfayig.
when its done truely over the top this can even be kinda funny. ( whats the story are they gonna find bin laden and neutralize him? or are they gonna solve the mystery of the evaporating gold reserves?) I give them a 9 for originality.

Stormy151
01-06-2009, 03:20 AM
sony imageworks is doing the vfx.

Doh! Oops...:banghead: Why don't I check these things before I shoot my mouth off? lol

monkeykong
07-20-2009, 11:27 PM
on the subject of WE3... i got fed up of waiting for them to make the film so i took on the task of creating one of the WE3 creatures for my Major Project at the NCCA, Bournemouth Uni, UK. Was a perfect pet project to investigate the creature pipeline - where my career aspirations lie :D

Anyway shameless plug and link to my WIP of Tinker the Cat....
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=787402

Incidentally i really cant wait for G-Force to come out. On the whole it looks really well done, cute, and will probably turn out to be quite funny by the trailers ive seen :D

InsomniaJohn
07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
sony imageworks is doing the vfx.

they did, among others, but Bruckheimer/Disney paid for it all.

Garibaldi
07-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Me, I am looking forwards to G-Force, it looks seriously funny.

BigPixolin
07-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Me, I am looking forwards to G-Force, it looks seriously funny.

I seen the trailer before UP in 3d and was blown away at how cool it looked.
I am defiantly going to see this in 3d without a doubt.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2009, 01:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.