PDA

View Full Version : Visual Effect: The Modern Crusade

Xander
06-23-2003, 04:17 AM
Here’s a little movie that popped into my head when staring at a Jesus fish in traffic.

Quicktime (4.59mb) (http://www.alexhessler.com/download.php?id=5&file=moderncrusade/ModernCrusade_qt640.zip)

http://www.alexhessler.com/projects/moderncrusade/composite_jpg.jpg

For more media formats and a brief summary tutorial, check out my website.
www.alexhessler.com (http://www.alexhessler.com/projects.php?id=5)

Dave Black
06-23-2003, 04:25 AM
THAT WAS TOTALLY AWSOME!!!

LOL!!

Dude, I loved it. Really really great. Nice camera tracking and sound too. :D

I literally laughed out loud on this one. Which is rare.

Thanks for sharing that.

Keep up the good work.

-3DZ

:D

Ajax3D
06-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Wow, really creative idea. Thanks for the brief tutorial too. Always nice to learn from these posts. :beer: :applause: :thumbsup:

Poopinmymouth
06-23-2003, 04:17 PM
great lighting, and reflections. they matched the environment well

gaggle
06-23-2003, 04:33 PM
What's with this latest craze of zipping moviefiles. Beh.

Anyway, I.. I guess I don't know what these Jesusfishies are, that might explain my lack of laughter. I came away oddly unimpressed, not the least because I entirely missed the first fish until it had just landed on the blue car. And what follows.. I'm.. not sure what they're doing. Well they're fighting, yes, but I'm not sure I understand the humor in that.

From what I could see through the pixelated blur of compression the two fishes looked nicely tracked though. There was what I thought was sliding, but watching it over again makes me think it's more likely just part of the animation.

Seeing as how everyone else is positive on the matter I'm assuming for whatever reason I've a) managed to miss the point entirely, and b) maybe I'm in a foul mood without realising it :).

I'm heading off to your site to see how you did the rigging and animation, they don't look like easy-to-animate characters at all.

Dave Black
06-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Hey, gaggle, lemme explain this, as I think it's an American phenomina.

Often, and I mean, really often, people of Christian faith place these little silver fish on the backs of their cars. It's a symbol of Jesus Christ.

They became really prolific after awhile. At some time, this became a battle between the scientific world, and the religious one. People believing in evolution began placing their own "fish" on their cars. These "fish" have legs, and often the word "darwin" in the middle. There are several iterations of this, but that's pretty much it. So it's "God Vs. Man/Science".

It's a strange cultural phenomina, I'm guessing limited to the US, but basically it's funny because the 2 symbols are fighting, and then the darwin fish gets torched by a bolt of lighting(we are assuming from the hand of God). It's just funny. One of those "you'd have to be there" to understand things.

Just to clear it up. I still may not seem funny, but it really is to someone living in the states.

-3DZ

:D

Xander
06-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks for explaining that 3DZealot.

Gaggle, I agree with your criticisms. It's difficult to see the Jesus Fish before the camera gets close to him. This was a really tough call on my part. Do I simulate the interlaced low quality of the video? Or do I make the fishes easier to see? The way I did it makes the fishes blend in much better to the video, but you loose a lot of the detail in the first few seconds of the animation.

Does anyone have any recommendations of getting around this. Other than getting a better video camera?

KiFe
06-23-2003, 06:01 PM
You dont need a better camera.

you have to de-interlace DV footage before outputting it.

that's why when you pan the camera quickly, you get that cheese grater effect.

if you are using premiere to edit, right click on the clip, go to video options>field options> always de-interlace.

or you can choose what field you would preffer to use (upper or lower) depending on how they look in the previewer

Xander
06-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I deinterlaced for the cammera tracking. With Premiere's deinterlacing you get a very strong blurring effect on the edges, even when there is no movement, which I didnt want.

Maybe Magic Bullet Suite would work better?

I'll have to experiment more in the future. Maybe a combination of interlaced and deinterlaced shots works best.

KiFe
06-23-2003, 06:22 PM
I dunno man... I deinterlace all of my footage before i get into any kind of comp work.

also... if your image is blurry after it's deinterlaced, try not moving your camera so swiftly (besides, swift moves are a real bitch to motiontrack.. trust me i KNOW. hehe)...

if your shot has to be quick, then see if your camera has a higher shutter speed setting.

as a last resort, i find dropping one of the fields altogether helps to sharpen the image. (altho you get a little stairstepping effect on the diagonals, when the shot is in motion, it's hard to tell)

Carbon
06-23-2003, 06:27 PM
lol what were those things?

Xander
06-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Heres a website that gives a very good description of what those creatures are. For all those that are a little confused by my animation check out the link below:
http://www.meangene.com/darwin/darwin.html

gaggle
06-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 3DZealot
it's "God Vs. Man/Science".Ooohh my deity that is pretty funny :D. Lol, I can appriciate the animation so much more now. Good stuff for sure :).

Thanks for the explanation 3DZealot, I didn't have a clue about any of that.

victor throe
06-30-2003, 02:13 PM
theres plenty of jesus fish in the uk too

smoke
06-30-2003, 02:28 PM
LOL

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.