PDA

View Full Version : pay-as-you-go computing

muzbee3d
12-29-2008, 05:55 PM
MERRY XMAS FROM, BILL G. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/29/microsoft.metered.computing/index.html

BigPixolin
12-29-2008, 06:02 PM
In before this turns into a Microsoft bash-fest.

To me it looks no differnt than the way cell phones are handled now.
Not a big deal, some people may find this attractive not everybody has the same computing needs.

tuna
12-29-2008, 06:29 PM
MERRY XMAS FROM, BILL G. :(

It says the patent was filed in June, 2007.

thorn3d
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
So... they've patented "Leasing"?

God, does the patent system need an overhaul.

thorn

dmeyer
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
It's just an application at this point.

Man, i hope they make you buy Microsoft Cash Unit Usage Points with varying exchange ratios per country and usage level. Then you would go to a website to verify and redeem the Cash Unit Usage Points by entering an anti-bot image verification challenge and a 68 character anti-piracy alphanumeric code....

ccherrett
12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
In before this turns into a Microsoft bash-fest.

Not a big deal, some people may find this attractive not everybody has the same computing needs.

Oh come on..... It is not like they did anything to stop the bashing!

mushroomgod
12-29-2008, 10:18 PM

made me laugh though :)

thorn3d
12-29-2008, 10:24 PM

I've no problem with the plan itself. It's applying for a patent that's completely stupid. Custom systems have been rented, and rented to own, for years upon years. Leasing cars with mileage limits are the norm. It's bizarre that any company would claim intellectual ownership of leasing.

thorn

paintbox
12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Lot's of companies patent (idiotic) stuff just so other companies will not do it and sue them instead. Like that one company that claims to own the right to create representative icons, and is suing Google, Apple and Microsoft for infringement. I mean WTF, why is that in any way an invention?

XminusOne
12-29-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm patenting bbq sauce. You're all screwed!!!:p

robcat2075
12-30-2008, 04:48 AM
They want to charge you $1 per hour to use your computer.

My computer is on about 18/day so we're looking at about $500 per month... $6000 per year.

That better be some computer for $6000 per year.

There are luxury cars that won't cost you that much to lease.

ccherrett
12-30-2008, 04:50 AM
They want to charge you $1 per hour to use your computer.

My computer is on about 18/day so we're looking at about $500 per month... $6000 per year.

That better be some computer for $6000 per year.

There are luxury cars that won't cost you that much to lease.

Possibly it is time to drop M$ on their heads?

flipnap
12-30-2008, 02:47 PM
who is this for? i can see about 15 years ago this being viable but for people like us, we buy and own our stuff.. people like my mom who dont use computers at home use their work computers for email and paying bills online during lunch. im not bashing MS but it looks like theyre getting desperate.. this idea isnt going to go anywhere..

BigPixolin
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM

It's not like they can do anything to stop that. Some people just blindly do it.

Hauzer
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Heh. I suppose Apple hopes they do it, and they make it a consumers only option.

Imagine, your bank balance bounces during rendering (hey, they said they'd charge more per "performance levels utilized" too).
Your computer shuts off and you are unable to access your work for the client. You loose the job that could have paid you enough to last to the next gig, but now you're hosed. So you rush out to find a part time at some grocery store. As soon as you're money permits - you buy a Mac and join a class action suit against Microsoft.

Of course they that arn't stupid, are they?

Gentle Fury
12-30-2008, 09:29 PM
This is a horrible idea and will NOT in any way shape for form work. Now and ad based free-machine would have some standing with old people that use computers for going online and checking email and thats it.

XDragon
12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
I could see people capitalizing on this and offering temporary computer rentals to people who can't afford computers. Or someone paying to use an ultra high-end machine in their home for very CPU-intensive tasks and using their weaker home computer they bought for free.

I will not tolerate my own computer being turned into a pay to use machine, as I have spent about 1,400 dollars on a quad core last July. We already have to pay to buy Windows and use the internet, I start to wonder if using computers altogether will get its own nickel-and-diming industry already being done in the world of video games.

Only make a pay-to-use computer one that wasn't bought for full price, in other words, if you buy a computer full price, you shouldn't have to pay for having it on other than paying for the electric bill.

Hauzer
12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
I could see people capitalizing on this and offering temporary computer rentals to people who can't afford computers. Or someone paying to use an ultra high-end machine in their home for very CPU-intensive tasks and using their weaker home computer they bought for free.

I will not tolerate my own computer being turned into a pay to use machine, as I have spent about 1,400 dollars on a quad core last July. We already have to pay to buy Windows and use the internet, I start to wonder if using computers altogether will get its own nickel-and-diming industry already being done in the world of video games.

Only make a pay-to-use computer one that wasn't bought for full price, in other words, if you buy a computer full price, you shouldn't have to pay for having it on other than paying for the electric bill.

I still don't see this working. If you can't afford a brand new box, you do what any sensible person does and get a used one. You can get a useful one for as little as $50, complete with monitor and keyboard... if you just want to do simple stuff like most people. And often you can find a computer like that for free.

Only a few idiots are going to buy into it. Then when they realize that overall they're paying more than they have to, they'll opt out by installing the old version of whatever software they were using before. This threat may even pressure Microsoft to add a penalty to opting out of a contract, and next thing you know it'll be as bad as the cell phone business.

Even oses are free. I really can't think of any better way to scare consumers and businesses away from Windows than making it pay as you go. They HAVE to make this an option, and it will ONLY be successful in third world countries. If that.

Pixanaut
12-31-2008, 05:42 AM
It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay monthly user fees for an operating system, especially to Microsoft. They're so lazy and cheap that they can't even supply the install disks when you buy a new machine, AND they allow companies to bloat their installed 'ware with various pain in the ass trial versions. Damn them. They deserve what's coming.

Time to buy some fruit.

inguatu
12-31-2008, 02:58 PM
It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay monthly user fees for an operating system, especially to Microsoft. They're so lazy and cheap that they can't even supply the install disks when you buy a new machine, AND they allow companies to bloat their installed 'ware with various pain in the ass trial versions. Damn them. They deserve what's coming.

Time to buy some fruit.

Kinda ignorant? It's the manufacturer's discrection whether or not they supply install disks. Some companies like Boxx and Dell do. As for bloatware being added to new machines.. same thing. Don't be ignorant and blame Microsoft when it's companies like Dell AND Apple that allow for that crap to be preinstalled.

Time to buy a clue.

Who really here gives a **** if they do a pay as you go anything? Besides, a LOT of companies already are leasing their software through a subscription service. This is nothing new, people. Quit whining about Microsoft doing this when other companies have been doing it for years. I'd say it's still amazing that people like to bash Microsoft just for the sake of bitching, but then again, it's the norm now. It's trendy? *sheep*.

Hauzer
12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
While thinking of a response to that, I came up with something more productive to say.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could pay off your programs like layaway? But unlike layaway you get to use them while you pay them off. A lot of software is so expensive these days. On my current income I can never really justify buying anything over a hundred dollars, but if they were to split that up into payments toward ownership, I'd accept it.

Maybe that's what this is.

Pixanaut
12-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Kinda ignorant? It's the manufacturer's discrection whether or not they supply install disks. Some companies like Boxx and Dell do. As for bloatware being added to new machines.. same thing. Don't be ignorant and blame Microsoft when it's companies like Dell AND Apple that allow for that crap to be preinstalled.

Time to buy a clue.

Who really here gives a **** if they do a pay as you go anything? Besides, a LOT of companies already are leasing their software through a subscription service. This is nothing new, people. Quit whining about Microsoft doing this when other companies have been doing it for years. I'd say it's still amazing that people like to bash Microsoft just for the sake of bitching, but then again, it's the norm now. It's trendy? *sheep*.

Says the guy with 'antiMac' written under his avatar.

How is it the manufacturers discretion whether to put install disks in the box or not when it's a Microsoft product? Microsoft would have been the one supplying those install disks. Microsoft should never have let that happen... or at the VERY least, allow my to buy the install disks for the cost of the ROMs without the bloatware.

Microsoft has the power to kill bloatware, but they don't. Don't be so naive to think they don't have that kinda pull. If Microsoft said 'We want our install disks to be strictly MS software', that would happen in an instant, and the bloatware would all be put onto a separate disk that the user could choose to install or not.

For the record, I am truly NOT a Apple fan (I own an iPhone and I hate it). Mac's aren't growing in my view, PC's are just plummeting in a freefall, so it appears that Apple is doing so much better that it used to.

Gentle Fury
01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Says the guy with 'antiMac' written under his avatar.

How is it the manufacturers discretion whether to put install disks in the box or not when it's a Microsoft product? Microsoft would have been the one supplying those install disks. Microsoft should never have let that happen... or at the VERY least, allow my to buy the install disks for the cost of the ROMs without the bloatware.

Microsoft has the power to kill bloatware, but they don't. Don't be so naive to think they don't have that kinda pull. If Microsoft said 'We want our install disks to be strictly MS software', that would happen in an instant, and the bloatware would all be put onto a separate disk that the user could choose to install or not.

For the record, I am truly NOT a Apple fan (I own an iPhone and I hate it). Mac's aren't growing in my view, PC's are just plummeting in a freefall, so it appears that Apple is doing so much better that it used to.

He does have antimac on his avatar but a nuke logo so I would assume that's not a windows ad. Linux anybody? I personally think mac and windows sucks but if I have to choose I'm glad that most studios use mac. I will be buying a mac soon and will be installing windows and Linux on it. Btw I have an iPod touch and freakin love it!

parallax
01-04-2009, 09:36 AM
You assume to much, while in this this, you should assume less.

The guy himself is critical of people being critical for the sake of it. Even though one might state that Microsoft HAS made some errors in the past (as has Apple for that matter).

Meta-bashing is such a drag.

DanielWray
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
The only place i could see this working is perhap's computers which are installed in perhaps internet cafes, where the owner of the cafe doesnt have to pay very much for a large array of computers, but instead passes the bill onto the customer who may only use it for an hour at perhaps $3 etc etc.

There is no way this would catch on outside of that type of scenario, i mean these "rented" systems would more than likely be closed so no tampering, that means most of the hardware manufacturing industry would lose it's vast majority of sales and go bust, im thinking here of graphic card manufacturers etc, that kind of thing.

It would never work, also "selected perforamnce" level's what happens if your doing some work and you find the current performance level is not enough, do you have to close all the applications, stop your work and restartd to go the higher performance levels, plus you'd be limited by the power of the machine you rented, after a few months it'd be outdated.

Seriously this is retarded, Microsoft and the rest of the computing industry should work on fixing up what half baked OS's, software and hardware items they're already pushing out.

How about an operating sytem that just works, i might patent that idea.

doctorx256
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Relax there is no way that Micro$oft will enable a pay-as-you-go computing in office or windows or else Linux and Mac Os X with openOffice will take 99% percent of the market the other day early at the morning. I mean come on, Microsoft is loosing on all grounds the last thing they want is to cause more damage to their already damaged image.

If you thing in how many field Microsoft is losing you will understand that the monopoly it once had is long gone. PERIOD.

Windows VS Linux + Mac OS x
Windows Server VS Myriad of Linux + *BSDs Distributions
Windows Mobile VS Iphone + Nokia
XBOX 360 VS PS3 + Wii
:-P Zune VS iPod
live.com VS google.com
office VS openoffice + free online office suites
hotmail vs gmail+yahoo mail+etc

I foresee a lowering in prices from Microsoft because i believe there is no way Microsoft will leave to see another decade if they operate in the nineties Microsoft philosophy.
If there is just a logical person in Microsoft there is no chance you will see such a system, and believe me they are not so morons as the average person believes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.