PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max, Deep Paint 3D, UVW unwrap

alaklij
05-01-2002, 08:53 PM
I'm baffled. I've been trying to work this out for three days.

My question is specifically about unwrapping the UV coordinates of an object (see attachment). Most of my problems are occuring with the head, because of its 'leaning forward' position. He has two bitmaps being used for painting in Deep Paint 3D. One ofr his Armor, and another for the rest.

When I use the UVW unwrap modifier I'm able to push the vertices around sussesfully with the armor, but the head and skin vertices tend to 'bunch' in one corner of the map.

Now, I also use Lightwave and could easily do this job with it, but I want to learn 3ds max. Lightwave has a fearture called 'Atlas' mapping. Is there something similar to this in 3ds max, or am I going to have to paint differing surfaces with differing bitmaps? Or seperate this into different objects?

With Deep Paint 3D I wouldn't care what the bitmap looked like because the final product is painted on the object, yet I have vertices crossing over on each other, so when I paint on one surface it is carried over over to another polyygon. So if I paint on the nose, I might also be painting on the back of his neck, simultaneously. Ultimately, I would like a clean looking bitmap, so I can show an employer (even show muself) I know what I'm doing.:hmm:

Thank you!

alaklij
05-01-2002, 08:55 PM
another...

Chris
05-02-2002, 04:32 AM
If you've got deep paint 3d, you could do your UV co-ordinates in that. The 'mercuator UV' (sp?) method was quite similar to Atlas mapping from memory & would get around having multiple poly's painted at once. when you pass the model back to max through the plugin connection, the UV's you've set up are retained...

Crazy Max
05-02-2002, 04:33 AM
In Max you can use an unwrap UV modifier to edit the objects UV's.

If you cant get that to do what you want you could always try out the Deep UV 30 day demo from Right Hemisphere. Deep UV is designed to fix all UV mapping issues and has some really cool tools. Make sure you check out the "Relax" feature. :buttrock:

Also note Deep UV works with Lightwave as well so you can use it with all your work.

:bounce:

alaklij
05-02-2002, 07:45 AM
Thanks Chris and Crazy Max. I'll try the UV editing in Dee Paint 3D, and I may have to purchase Deep UV someday. I plan on making several (maybe 100) different characters for a game I want to make in the future.

Agian, Thanks. If anyone else has more info on this subject please post it. The more I know the better.

:bounce:

alaklij
05-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Damn. I don't have Texture Weapons. Which is th Meractor part of Deep Paint 3D. Texture Weapons is no longer sold too. Great, It's been replaced by Deep UV, that's a measly 800 dollars. Wonderful, and I don't have 800 dollars.

Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

Crazy Max
05-02-2002, 08:21 AM
Did you try the Deep UV demo?

The demo is fully enabled for 30 days so that should give you the time to get your job done and time to evaluate the programme.

alaklij
05-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Crazy Max, Yes, I downloaded the demo immediately.

Marcel
05-02-2002, 03:27 PM
That always puzzled me too. What is the use of a unwrap modifier when everything is cluttered up?

Until I found out you have to apply UVW mapping first!

When you apply Unwrap without applying UVW coords first, the unwrap works with the default mapping (probably planar mapping, or a great mess). It's only a utility to make the UVW map coords visible, it doesn't 'unwrap' by itself.

Look for tutorials about unwrapping for low poly characters, there surely must be some around

Good luck!

Marcel

Here's and option for mapping different parts with different mapping types:

Collapse the mesh
Detach the head
Put a cylindrical (or spherical mapping, whatever works best) on the head.
Apply unwrap Modifier (should be looking a bit better now)
In the Unwrap modifier select all vertices and move out of the working range.
Collapse head

Do the same for the body (parts).

Now attach the head to the body again

Add unwrap modifer

If you've done it correctly, all of the UVW mapping coords of the body are in your working space, and the coords of the head are somewhere outside the working space.

Scale down the UVW coords of the body and place the UVW coords of head beside them

Create template with Texporter utility (www.scriptspot.com)

A bit complicated but it works.

Joel Hooks
05-02-2002, 07:57 PM
I've been having good results with overlapping mesh by making a copy of the section then "flattening" the copy by pushing and placing verts. After I have a nice "flat" version I will apply a cylindrical map and morph it back into it's original shape.

This provides nice clean UVs to work from.

CIM
05-06-2002, 01:53 PM
Deep UV sucks. It's full of bugs!

alaklij
05-06-2002, 03:11 PM
CIM, could you expand on what some of the bugs are?

CIM
05-06-2002, 03:17 PM
They are bugs that crash the program. Lets see, I loaded one of the tutorial scenes, started to try to uv map it and it crashes. It crashed numerous times more for no good reason (other than stinking bugs).:thumbsdow

Crazy Max
05-06-2002, 10:19 PM
I have had no problems so far with Deep UV.

Have you talked with the RH tech support about the problems you came across?

Was Deep UV in hardware or software render mode?

LucentDreams
05-07-2002, 02:59 AM
Try body paint then, I'm not abig fan of all the painting features, but for UV editing I love it, and it is fuly compatible with Photoshop and Max. Personally I am using it as more of a UV editor than a painter.

Wiro
05-07-2002, 04:41 PM
The Texture Weapons atlas mapping (and projection painting) is now part of Deep Paint 3D 2.0, no need to buy Texture Weapons or DeepUV if you think of upgrading anyway.

Max itself does not have atlasmapping unless you want to buy a plugin (see www.mankua.com, I think they have something similar) but it looks like Max5 will have it.

Your best bet is to just manually break the model apart and use the most fitting projections. Good luck :)

Wiro

Crazy Max
05-07-2002, 10:19 PM
Deep Paint 3D 2.0 does not include V.A.M.P. (atlas) mapping!

The only feature that was in Texture Weapons that is now in Deep Paint 3D 2.0 is projection paint.

Good luck trying to paint a V.A.M.P. (atlas) mapped object with out projection paint. :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.