PDA

View Full Version : particle fx question

carnera
06-23-2003, 12:18 AM
hi folks..

id like to emitt particles on a object but on "white" areas of my texture-image only.

it seems that the birth-rate "t-function" works with procedurales only.

can anybody confirm this limitation?

carnera
06-23-2003, 12:49 AM
this is really strange.....

i used a procedural like "fractalnoise" to generate the particles on the object surface. further ive add a image-map (layer-type) with the blending mode set to "alpha" with a black texture showing white (bold) line.
so what i get is, that particles are generated on the objects surface and due to the "alpha" mapped image-map, i see the particles only on the white area (the white line) of my image map.

but when i am trying to animate the 2 maps lw crashs. ;(

any ideas?

HowardM
06-23-2003, 03:18 AM
did you try without the procedural and just the image map?
not exactly sure what youre trying to do, but is the procedural really neccessary?

carnera
06-23-2003, 07:30 AM
hi howard

its just very easy .... make a ball....make a b/w image-map (like white dots on a black background) in photoshop....add particle emitter on the ball in layouter....
enable the "t" button to controll the birth-rate using a procedurale or an image-map (like planar mapping)...

first you will see that "automatic sizing" will not work - which means that scale is set to 1,1,1.

second the particle wont be created on the white or black areas of your image-map that is mapped to that object.

using an lw-procedural like grid, fractal noise etc. will work...that means that particle will be generated at the white respectively on the back eares of your procedural.

carnera
06-23-2003, 07:52 AM
upppss...
i almost forget to mention ...
set the nozzle-type to "object surface" (or whatever except sphere or box).

what you will see is that you cant controll the birth-rate using a procedural map or image-map.
instead when you set the nozzle type to "sphere" or "box" you can controll the birth-rate with a procedural map.

unfortunately my emitter object is not a "perfect" sphere....

ohh...geezzzzz...please

carnera
06-23-2003, 08:06 AM
now i feel completely "stupid"...

am i dreaming ??...now it works. nozzle type is set to "object surface" and i can controll the birthrate using a procedural.

but it seems that only certain types like fractal noise or grid are working and some like checker arent working.

but i cant animate the procedurals with the envelope nor by an texture-reference object. ;(

okay...i think its better i stop here ...and i will try to find a different way to solve my effect.

HowardM
06-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Dont forget FXstart!
thats probably your biggest issue! scrubbing just the timeline doesnt work most of the time, especially with birthrates using an imagemap!

carnera
06-23-2003, 05:35 PM
i tried fx-start.....all i get is that lw crashs ;(

here are a few images ... just to be sure that everyone understands my problem. ;)

1. pic....shows a simple ball and the nozzle is set to
object surface

http://www.carnera3d.de/imageC.jpg

2.pic ...show a procedural applied to the birth-rate....so particles
are emitted on the white areas of the grid only.

http://www.carnera3d.de/imageB.jpg

3.pic...shows the ball and nozzle type is set to OBJECT SURFACE
and a simple image map is applied to controll the birth-rate areas.
So i would except that the particles should be emitted either on the black or the white area of my planar or spherical...etc. mapped nozzle object.
BUT NOTHING HAPPENS...even when I do the particle calculation with FX-START.

http://www.carnera3d.de/imageA.jpg

HowardM
06-23-2003, 05:52 PM
ok, finally gotcha...and I remember now when I was doing THIS (http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/37858.html?)...that LW is flaky with 2 color image maps...AND YOU MUST hit FXstart to get the image map to work right...so youve got to solve your crashing problems....also, sometimes you have to tap the <> buttons next to the birthrate to get LW to restart the emitter after tweaking settings...its a bug that really is annoying!

also I think setting the image maps opacity higher than 100% can help...also play with Normal, Additive, etc...
If worse comes to worse, and its just an image map of a line, you could actually use the collision/event trick and move a collision object however you were going to move the line...got it?

theres a hoaky way around the LW bugs...total pain though...

comanche
06-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Hi Andras,

it works fine here if I set the blending mode of the image layer to "Alpha". And yes, it crashes LW sometimes :-)

Cheers,
Andreas

carnera
06-23-2003, 06:10 PM
the problem is that my object is a human skull ...so much more complex than a simple ball. ;)
what i did is, i have modeled a simple stripe (an object) and i moved that object along the skull and I used bones to deform that stripe object, so that it fits the outer shape of the skull....luckly i had to animate 15 frames only. ;) its like simulating the white line of the image that i tried to use.
than ive applied the particles to that animated stripe object.

anyway..

but i will give your ideas a try.. ;)

thanx....

comanche
06-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Screenshot:

http://www.calmbach.com/demo/surface_emitter.jpg

carnera
06-23-2003, 06:21 PM
COMANCHEEEEEEE

MAN...thanks alot!...look that this! a former Cinema4D user knows how it works!...CRAZY world.. ;)

i owe you a beer

comanche
06-23-2003, 06:46 PM
i owe you a beer

I'll remember that one, you know! :beer:

Cheers,
Andreas

HowardM
06-23-2003, 07:38 PM
well like i said, you could use a collision plane instead of an image map, then you can move the plane in 3D in LW manually...it will work the same for your skull, no bones required.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.