PDA

View Full Version : Previous Alienz short.

KlooM
06-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Hey, I've been here at the cgtalk forums for a while now, but I didn't notice this forum until now. Naturally it awoke my interest because:

http://home.online.no/~breikrem/cxg/projects/alienz/

:)

koinu
06-22-2003, 11:53 PM
KlooM
That was very interseting indeed, cause I am involved with the short on the site.... Wonder if Kirt knows about this other short..

BlueCougar
06-23-2003, 12:41 AM
I checked out the site and I think they made a really good effort in what they were trying to do. I did notice that the copyright on the site was 2000, three years ago without any further updates or progress. The only similiarity I see is the spelling of the name and without any follow through on their part I don't believe its a valid issue. The final decision will be up to Kirt on that.

Kenn

KlooM
06-23-2003, 01:28 AM
I forgot to mention that I am Eigil Jarl Halse, one of the guys that worked on the alienz short. I'm just so used to having Eigil Jarl as my nick nowadays that I simply forgot.

Our AlienZ project was put on hold some time ago as we both had to drag our asses a bit further down the path of life for a while. The trailer was made out of the material we had finished, and my friend used it as his animation project in the final year of his animation course. That was about two years ago I think, with some dwiddling done after that. We would of course like to finish it sometime as we are still fond of the idea, story and characters, but that will only be when time and/or a budget allows it. Now we're not interested in making an issue out of it, as far as I've gathered it's just a similar name (that probably was around long before us too). It was just a "small world!" post more than anything.

However if we both complete our shorts there will be two 3d animated shorts named AlienZ which can make things confusing for the 3d animation community. An easy fix is for us to take the name "space alienz" if we manage to revive the project. For some reason we really like that awkward combination of words. Of course if this project doesn't make it through to the end, we'll just stick with AlienZ. :)

BlueCougar
06-23-2003, 02:26 AM
Well spoken response. Thanks KlooM.

Kenn

Kirt
06-23-2003, 04:33 AM
Hmmm ... interesting. I hadn't heard of the short before today, so it's just one of those odd coincedences. Funny how the title is exactly the same.

If the project has been shelved for the past 3 years though ... I can't say that I'm too concerned about it at the moment. We have a long way to go still and if the two films are nearing completion at the same time then I guess we'll have to discuss one of the films being renamed.

I'm sure I could come up with a few alternate titles if it comes down to that.

Thanks for pointing it out.

KlooM
06-23-2003, 10:21 AM
No problem, we'll keep you posted if there is any update on our side.

koinu
06-23-2003, 03:22 PM
KlooM,
WEll I'm glad we all had a moment to speak on this topic and I'm really glad the Kirt had the chance to view and reply to this thread. You are very right that if these two projects get to the point of completion that it would be a problem for the cg community as to which film is which. I'll post a question to Kirt about if we are running an alternative name for this. Hope your gets back on the front burner BTW.... Good Luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.