PDA

View Full Version : Unlinking problem

rebelliousthoughts
12-28-2008, 10:35 AM
hi,
im having problem in unlinking child object from parent .
i have created a stick which is a child holding and after some animation i have to drop that stick but now i unlicked that stick from Bip R hand(It's no more under the subtree of bip) but when i move arm( bip forearm) or any bip of Right arm stick moves with that.
1- how to unlink that stick that it wont move with any bip?

2- speed of my software is a bit slow is there any way to fix that . my Mesh total's are vertices=91216
Faces=123530

it's for the first time that im animating is there any tips and things that i have to keep in mind?

rebelliousthoughts
12-28-2008, 11:09 AM
i have selected stick and in hierarchy panel under link info i have unchecked move,sale,rotate on all axises.
im continuing with this setting. that will fine or not?

rebelliousthoughts
12-28-2008, 05:52 PM
after trying that all the animation is removed from stick now its not moving at alll.
plzzzzzzz help.....i waiting

mlefevre
12-28-2008, 07:10 PM
You can't set keys on a child/parent relationship.

Take a look at point, orient and parent constraints. Once the child is 'constrained', you can set keys on the weight attribute, essentially turning the parents transformation influence on or off.

Hope that helps. good luck! :)

Dichotomy
12-29-2008, 03:05 PM
exactly what Mle said. Your best bet would be to unparent it, and use the constraints (point and orient, or parent) to get it to move to begin with. A good trick, to getting a clean transition away from the hand, is to duplicate the stick geometry at the frame that you want him to drop it, delete the shape node, and use the transform node as your second contraint master (hand being the first). Then you can animate the value from the constraints between 1 frame, and it will have a clean transition into the stick falling (based on the animation you put on the 2nd master transform group)
It might sound a little confusing, and it can be tricky to set up the first time, but the concept is basic, and once you know it, it can be used in a lot of places.

rebelliousthoughts
12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
thankx alot mle & Dichotomy
what i done to fix this problem is.
i copied that stick and when that stick drops on the ground i invisible the old stick and replaced with the new one through
Curve editor and it worked fine for me..
But thankx alot for the help. :applause:
though on each new step i find a new problem for me because its a part of learning .... :hmm:

Dichotomy
12-29-2008, 06:38 PM
That will work some of the times, but if you are motion blurring the animation, or have dynamics affecting it... stuff like that, where the geometry needs to be the same. The constraints will be the way you have to go. Might be worth it just to nose around in and get a general idea of how they work.

ErikE
12-30-2008, 03:06 AM
You could also try using a link constraint if you are using 3ds max, and it sounds like you are.

Link constraints can be a little weird to work with. When you set it up the link constraint the first node in the listbox will be treated as the parent when autokey is off. You will probably want to set this to the world and then just have it parented to whatever you need after that.

To set up a link constraint start of by freezing the transform of your object,add the constraint and choose a node, replace this first node with a link to world (the objects position will jump when you do this, correct it after by using "Transform to Zero") now just add the nodes you want the object parented to at the appropriate frames.

I did a quick video capture of the process to help explain (the framerate is not that great but it should help illustrate)

http://screencast.com/t/pM69p5Tue

Definitely explore the different constraints available you will find all kinds of uses for them.

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2008, 03:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.