PDA

View Full Version : Ninja character (slightly toony)

KlooM
06-22-2003, 09:19 PM
I started modeling this ninja character this weekend. Wanted a character with a toony swing to it, but without going overboard. It's currently around 2000 polys, but I'm aiming a bit higher. Current plans are larger folds in the clothing, a crossbelt for a sword sheath or a staff, maybe some smokebombs or the like in his belt. I also want some different version of his head (ninja mask, ninja hood w/hat, and a naked had with the usual hairknot.
The goal is to do some more modeling and add textures, then hopefully some animating for once. :)

First pic is flat with wire, the second is with smoothing groups and some colour tests. Made in max 5 with editable poly.

http://www.kloom.com/misc/ninja/ninjawip.jpg

http://www.kloom.com/misc/ninja/ninjawip2.jpg

unLevel
06-22-2003, 09:21 PM
good job so far, keep it up! :thumbsup:

AnavelGato
06-22-2003, 09:31 PM
Looks really cool!
I like the cartoony look and you definetely didn't go overboard :thumbsup:

soneone
06-22-2003, 10:10 PM
i really like it A LOT!!! :love:

Stylus
06-22-2003, 11:26 PM
looks great so far!

KazuyaMochu
06-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks for that! very respectfull for Ninji-Tsu.

alot of ppl go for guys with covered faces and crap like that, and the go "I just made this really cool Ninja"

I just get so anoyed with this kind of thing...

But yours really looks like a ninja. A little kind of Soper hero ninja, but in a controlled way!

now don't blow it all by putting a sword on his back! that's wrong!

ok?

ok now... model...

AWSOME!!!
perfect clean mesh, very good loking!

respeck!

Kazuya Mochu

p.s. 5 stars from me!

AdamAtomic
06-23-2003, 05:29 AM
kloom - i think this is excellent!! Great economy of mesh, beautiful lines, character is fun and engaging and he's not even animated yet! I would go for a minimalist approach to the skins, i'm not sure photo-realistic would fly on this model - would love to see him in motion!! Great work!

kukukiki74
06-23-2003, 08:43 AM
I didn't know ninja's wear hat like that... just a thought...

AnavelGato
06-23-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by kukukiki74
I didn't know ninja's wear hat like that... just a thought...

They sure do! At least in Ninja Scroll (anime movie) :)

KlooM
06-23-2003, 12:02 PM
Hey thanks for the comments everyone! I'm happy you liked the model.

Kazuya: I'm glad you felt it's a good ninja, I wanted a comic-book ninja without a too archetypical look. Don't worry I'm not going to attach a sword to his back, most likely it will be hanging by his side. Sharp edge up for those quick draw and slash manouvers. If I go for a staff, then I'll probably strap it across his back though.

Adam: Yeah, I'm thinking simple textures on him. Something to give the right clothy feel. I want more geometric detail in him too, so that I can leave the textures for mostly light and shadow to go with the geometry.

kukukiki: I think ninjas wore whatever suited for the task at hand, but I'm going for a more multipurpose comicbook look. So that if I use the plain head with a hat it looks like a generic warrior garb, but with mask on and hat off he looks like a night-time masked ninja going about his business. :cool:

AnavelGato: Though hats are everywhere, I must confess that Ninja Scroll is the reason I tried a hat on him. Love that movie :)

Prs-Phil
06-23-2003, 06:55 PM
woah ... nice, you did a good job with the style there :thumbsup:
I can see an unwelded vertex around the cheek area, where an ear would normally be standing out but thats minor ... if I look at your whole mesh I must say like all the other guys, how clean it is :)

Lets seem him textured in the same style :)

KlooM
06-23-2003, 06:59 PM
It looks like an unwelded vertex but it's just the viewangle. The edges are quite close there to give him a jawline ;)

It's great you think the mesh is so clean (I think the quadshading in editpoly helps though), but now I'm getting anxious about adding the folds and detail that I planned to. I was thinking of having a final polycount of maybe around 4000. I'll probably put a lot of that in the face though, so I can get facial expressions on him. I'll have a go at it tonight, and see if I can keep it from getting messy. I'll post the progress here. :)

AdamAtomic
06-23-2003, 07:25 PM
with those extra polys, it might not hurt to separate his big toe from the rest of his foot, and maybe throw some sandals on there? just an idea anyways :) deifnitely keep us posted!

KlooM
06-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Definitely sandals! Split toe is also under consideration.

Temporal
06-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Hearing one more time won't hurt. You mesh is beautiful, great job :thumbsup:

EDIT:

As an accesory, you might also model the inflatable shoes they use to walk on water.

Also, I have a minor suggestion on the model concerning the vest. I've seen pictures of ninja's (or shinobi's I believed they're called), and the vest is a fairly thin, light piece of fabric to alllow for ease of movement, but the way it is on your model makes it look as if his shirt is padded. Since you're going up 4,000 polygons, I thought you might have enough in your budget to make this detail more apparent.

cheers

KlooM
06-23-2003, 11:42 PM
Good suggestion on the padded shirt, I'll have a look at it. I was supposed to work on him this evening, but I've been a bit.. unfocused. Anyway here's the result of meshsmooth and toonshader and cheap photoshop papereffect. I just had to test it. :)

Now with the dwiddling out of the way I'll try and get started on the modeling again.

http://www.kloom.com/misc/ninja/ninjatoon2.jpg

gaggle
06-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Dammit I always fall for the cheap effects, but I think that toonshaded papereffect image looks pretty darn good :).

I like the model.. looks good. Wireframes is nicely clean. I think in the smooth-shaded view, if anything, his arms looks a little.. seperated from the vest. I think that's sort of been mentioned already though so idunno how useful that comment is. Just ends up reminding me of the ol' gaming-days where arms and legs and whatnot had to be seperate poly-hulls, and not one continuous mesh.

The guy needs smokebombs and those throwing stars thingies something fierce, make absolutely sure you include those! :).. hm.. maybe a cardboard tube (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-11-01&res=l) as well..

KazuyaMochu
06-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Just ends up reminding me of the ol' gaming-days where arms and legs and whatnot had to be seperate poly-hulls, and not one continuous mesh.
What?!? have you played GTA3? their separated mesh! and quake 1 was 1 continuos mesh!

still separeter mesh are rearer every day. I think its basically an issue of tecnology available, and final goal.

any way! I don't think you should put too much detail on the model, in terms of gadgets, since most of the stuff was inside the vest...
I think the silluete is allready very good. ok, I dont mind a sword, but grenades... I dont know... maybe a rope and one of thoes 2 teeth graplling hooks!

any way... just dont "Rambo" him.

Kazuya Mochu

Xaint
06-25-2003, 06:37 PM
KlooM, how did you take the wireframe shot, or how did you render it? I like the feel of it.:cool:

AnavelGato
06-25-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Xaint
KlooM, how did you take the wireframe shot, or how did you render it? I like the feel of it.:cool:

A print-screen of a perspective view with the model flat shaded, visible edges and an omni light in 3DS Max looks a lot like that.

Xaint
06-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by AnavelGato
A print-screen of a perspective view with the model flat shaded, visible edges and an omni light in 3DS Max looks a lot like that.

Plus one layer of gaussian blur in Photoshop or whatever.

KlooM
06-27-2003, 03:24 AM
Gaggle: I'm a sucker for cheap effects myself. Cheap = fast = good for tests. I've soaked papers in hot water and instant coffee in the kitchen sink. Now that they're dry the look like fab old paper with nice rough textures and brownish colour variations.
I'm thinking about scanning them and trying to comp a toonrendered animation on them in afx. Let's see if I can make it from cheap to nice. That's not really game related, so I'll post that in another forum if it comes to that.
About the shoulders looking disconnected I see what you mean. The mesh is continous but the smoothing and colours makes it look like it's seperate pieces. I'm going to put detail in that area, adding an opening in the vest that continues a bit down under the arm. That'll make it look more real (and comfortable to wear!)

Kazyua: Nice idea about snatching items from inside the vest, I'll look at it. If by "rambo" you mean soaking him in gadgets like a swat-gorilla then have no fear. I want him to be graceful and be able to move with ease without being looking hindered by ecess ecquipment.

Xaint: It's a snapshot from the max viewport with a flatshaded mesh and visible edges. I have a hard yellow sunlight from the front, a greyish blue light from the back and a faint red one from below on his right side. I've duplicated the image to a new layer in photoshop and set it to "screen." After that I used gaussian blur on it and used level adjustment to control the "glows" that appear. Turning down the opacity of the glow-layer a bit is usually best. It's something I often do to break up the flat colours of an image. Yep, I also do it on wires. Nothing wrong in making it look a little more pleasing to the eye (as long as it doesn't affect how the wire is percieved!). :)

I haven't been modeling on him that much lately as I've been busy figuring out a new facial animation system for him. I based it on what I saw in Simon's showreel from VFS that was in the headlines some time ago. If you want to check it out go to this thread. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56624) It's a highpoly elf I started, an avi of the facial rig is at the bottom on page two.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.