PDA

View Full Version : WIP - annoying thing

Chagidiel
06-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Hio!

Felt like showing a little thing Iīve been working on lately. Making this for no particular reason, other than just having fun modelling (and eventually animating).

Donīt really know what this thing is... It has ended up looking somewhat like a frog I think. The ambition has been to make a character that gives an annoying impression. So :rolleyes:... what do you think? Does this guy annoy you?

http://www.blodbad.nu/chagidiel/annoying_mix.jpg

Any comments are very welcome :)

/Erik

leigh
06-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Yes, he certainly does look annoying :argh:

Couldn't really say why, he just does :p

I like him so far though... perhaps you could give him some sharp teeth though - they might give him more of a gremlin edge.

For gods sake, give the little guy some pants!

unLevel
06-22-2003, 09:23 PM
yeah, I agree, sharp teeth would definetly add character! Good job regardless!:thumbsup:

Triple G
06-22-2003, 09:24 PM
LOL....I don't know why, but I just want to laugh when I look at this guy! Nice job...he's definitely got that wide-eyed, crazy look to him. :thumbsup: But, as Leigh pointed out...either lose the genitalia or give him a pair of pants...please! :argh:

Chewey
06-22-2003, 09:37 PM
Reminds me of another recent LW forum froggy character. What type of vehicle is he set to ride on?

Do frogs really have weeners?

takkun
06-22-2003, 09:37 PM
Not quite annoying enough, he needs a cheesy grin and a mischevious look in his eyes. And don't give him pants! Let it all hang out!.... But that does mean you've got another appendage to animate though. :D

EDIT: And I forgot to say, great model! Can't wait to see what you do next!

Facial Deluxe
06-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Frogs don't wear pant's ...and that's a God decision...

Excellent character Chagidiel :applause:

Chewey
06-22-2003, 09:39 PM
cmon guys. Frogs don't wear pants.

You big city folks...:rolleyes:

Tottebias
06-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Hehe. This one I absolutely love. Great job.

pblacklock
06-22-2003, 10:13 PM
looks too cute, needs crooked inward pointy teeth on the side and a small spike horn right smack in the middle of his forehead, not too big but just enough to headbutt someone in the rearend :scream:

Steve Warner
06-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Apart from the whole wang factor, this is a really awesome model! Wonderfully efficient modeling, great texturing, and it does have attitude. Although I do think he could be a bit more mischiveous. :scream:

Chagidiel
06-22-2003, 10:20 PM
hehe thanks for the replies :buttrock:

Hmm... about those teeth. I have thaught about that (making them sharp) but went with these (blocks) when thinking sharp would make him too scary/agressive. It would without doubt put him in the gremlin-family.
Reading your words on it will force me to give it a try, though :D

Regarding the eyes, takkun has a point (even though you might not have meant it literaly). I will have to do something about those. They are way too "sane" when I look at them now. (Perhaps I should make them different from eachother (?). "The Freak"-stylee)
Overall, his facial expression is too symetric as it is. but that will be handled when I get to make some morphs, Iīm sure.

Chewey - Heīs outfit is thaught to resemble the one of a biker. I have a plan to make him do a mime-act of riding a motorcycle.

And finally HEHE :bounce: telling from some reactions I think the absence of pants is a success (when it comes to annoyance). I will definately keep them off.
Iīm hoping MD will do most of the work when coming to animate the little weener.

Hope to get time to make updates soon.
Thank you!

/Erik

SimianLogic
06-23-2003, 02:46 AM
The costume looks cool, but I think he looks more annoying without it. The textures and especially the eyes look great!

milqman
06-23-2003, 02:55 AM
give the frog some dang pants

thats just disturbing

swampthing
06-23-2003, 03:08 AM
He comes off more lewd and rude than he does annoying to me. Especially with him going free willy and all.

ptaverner
06-23-2003, 04:02 AM
Very nice work.!

I like the design a lot!

Peter

Jonathan
06-23-2003, 05:42 AM
This is super cool! ROFL. Kinda reminds me of Fritz the Cat.

kretin
06-23-2003, 07:39 AM
Fantastic work. He's great. I think he ooses annoying :)

I love the clothing too. I agree the pupils/irises would be great a little asymmetrical.

fattdex
06-23-2003, 07:45 AM
hehehe
i can see his weiner! :hmm:
very kewl, would look good with turbo waxy sss frogskin

dzogchen
06-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Excellent model!:thumbsup: How did you do the wireshade?

fletchman
06-23-2003, 01:17 PM
LMAO!! Excellent modeling! MD on his wiener???? wahahahahahah

kurv
06-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Carefull of your wording their Kretin... :)

I think this is awesome, and while God did not give frogs pants, I have never seen a frogs...well you know..

While hysterical, it is a bit disturbing... But everyone here at Wordware got a huge laugh!!!

Excellent model work!!

manfriday
06-23-2003, 05:43 PM
that is a great character.
But he needs pants.
or better yet a kilt.
then when he wants to annoy the british he can lift his kilt and wave his jiggly bits at them.

Chagidiel
06-23-2003, 05:43 PM
:wavey: Thanks very much all for this great response!

Unfortunately I have had to realize I will have no time today to proceed with suggested modifications. Just writing to say that :)
Hopefully I will get on them tomorrow.

Cheers all!

Chagidiel
06-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Hello again... gee it took some time for me to get around to this.
However, here are some updates I made... and I would very much appreciate all of yur opinions on this, because I am still rather ambivalent in what kind of style I should go.

What I did was first to test the idea of giving him sharp teeth. Doing that would result in something like this.

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/sharp.jpg

Chagidiel
06-27-2003, 05:22 PM
...continued

I like it, but am still fond of the simplicity in the former set of teeth. As has been said before; the sharper kind makes him a little more of a monster than just an "annoying thing". As a reminder... here is what they look like.

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/blocks.jpg

Chagidiel
06-27-2003, 05:24 PM
...continued

I would love to hear what choise you would do.
Iīm not sure yet if I should model a gum for the thing. The level of detail of the sharp set of teeth almost requres a gum, but I like to try making this model feel clean and simple.
Again... whaddayasay?

In the above images you might also notice that I have changed the texture of the eyes (still have some corrections to do there... especially the bumpmap) and made the left (the thingīs right) pupil a little smaller.
This was a success I think... made him look a little more "crazed" Thanks for that Kretin :thumbsup:

At first I made a kind of Marilyn Manson-styled eyes, but that became too messy in my opp. Here is what that looked like. Would be fun to hear what you think of them.

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/manson.jpg

Sooo... that was the little update.

Thanks again all for your input.

P.S. - The pants will stay off
milqman said: "give the frog some dang pants. thats just disturbing". And I say; If not annoying... disturbing suits me just fine :scream:
(Donīt get me wrong... I appreciate your input anyway)

Cheers

/Erik

ThreeDBFX
06-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Dude,

Everytime I look at this thing I bust up laughing. Great lookin little menace! Can't wait to see him animate...you should make him do funny things like backflips and breakdancing, lol.

Great work!

manfriday
06-27-2003, 05:40 PM
I think I like him better with the flat square teeth.
the sharp ones make him look more menacing and less annoying. ;)

MattClary
06-27-2003, 06:10 PM
The water is cold, there was shrinkage! LMAO Bet he drives a really fast sports car to compensate, huh? :twisted:

d4rk
06-27-2003, 06:26 PM
This is really awesome! I definetly think that the flat teeth look better, otherwise he comes off too aggresive/scary. I also think that you should keep one eye a different color, it sorta makes him look insane.

I'm surprised with all the stuff that has been making front page in the last few weeks that this hasn't. Can't wait to see him animated!

oh yeah you should give him a brittish accent that would make him even more annoying!

;)

kretin
06-28-2003, 12:09 AM
I always liked the teeth flat, keeps some appeal, which is important so even though he's annoying the audience still likes him.

The change to the eyes makes a big difference, but I'd take it even further and change the scale of the iris area as well as the pupils.

If you do this as a morph, you'll be able to alter it for each eye dynamically which will really add to the animation. Easiest way to animate it would be to include a null inbetween the eyes, and add expressions (or follower) to the iris scale morphs so that as you rotate the null one way, one iris increases in scale and the other decreases, and vice versa.

anieves
06-28-2003, 02:06 AM
he, he this is great! he does look annoying alright, I can picture him running around humping ppls legs, that would be so funny.

I personaly like the flat looking teeth better. and keep the odd color eye, nice touch.

Dreamwave
06-28-2003, 02:39 PM
very nice, but -someone asked it before- how did you do the wireframe shade?

Chagidiel
06-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Very very thanks again people :)

Still not sure how I will decide on the teeth, but it leans towards the blocky style, much thanks to your well reasoned oppinions about them.

Fun to read about how you imagine him move... It makes me feel he is already expressing lots of character.

Kretin - I think you again for having a good idea on the eyes. I will shrink the iris on the left one.
Not quite sure if I should go back to the different colored eyes, but hearing positive coments on it makes me give it another go.

And ahh! About the wireframe. Sorry dzogchen... I ment to explain that, but forgot it when I posted the updates. Dreamwave reminded me.

What I do is set the patch divisions in modeler to 1 and then freeze the object (I do a separate object for making those shots).
In layout I check "Other edges" in the opjectīs edge properties. Then I render in quickshade mode.
I was inspired by the nicey wire-renders shown from some max and maya creations and figured this way out. Strange in my opp, there is no easier way to do this in LW. :shrug:
In layout it would be neat if one could render in equivalent style of wireframe shade as a fourth render mode :) Hehe... but I guess that is far down on the low-priority-list for 8.

Steve Warner
06-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Nice tip, Chagidiel! :thumbsup: I'm sure many of us will benefit from that.

BTW, I checked out your site yesterday and its awesome! You've got some really great characters there, and the "Your Are Here" anim in your personal section was very well done. :applause:

Cheers!

Steve

Dreamwave
06-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Chagidiel
And ahh! About the wireframe. Sorry dzogchen... I ment to explain that, but forgot it when I posted the updates. Dreamwave reminded me.

What I do is set the patch divisions in modeler to 1 and then freeze the object (I do a separate object for making those shots).
In layout I check "Other edges" in the opjectīs edge properties. Then I render in quickshade mode.
I was inspired by the nicey wire-renders shown from some max and maya creations and figured this way out. Strange in my opp, there is no easier way to do this in LW. :shrug:
In layout it would be neat if one could render in equivalent style of wireframe shade as a fourth render mode :) Hehe... but I guess that is far down on the low-priority-list for 8.

thanx so much, didn't know it's that simple!
great man, you made A LOT of people happy! :thumbsup:

Nemoid
06-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Very great character !!

at the beginning i thought he was little too simmetrycal, but in the last posts u enhanced a lot his expression!

leave him without pants, cause he makes really laugh as he is. for the eyes i agree that different colors would be fine, expecially if they are different from the general blue-white looking of the creature.:thumbsup:

Chagidiel
06-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Hello again people

Iīm a bit surprised this wirething seems to be such a desired info, but Iīm happy to be of help.

Steve Warner - Thank you for the kind words on my site. I appreciate that very much. Many people seems to be liking that little animation. For me it is of course a dear piece of animation, but it is actually a quite simple work... I like it mainly for how it illustrates the vastness of astronomit scale. :surprised

Now for the updates of my "thing":

Here is what I have decided to go on. As you can see I went back to the flat teeth. With one new modification; my girfriend came with the obvious suggestion he should have one missing tooth. It suited him just perfect I think.
I continued all the way on Kretinīs suggestion for the eyes and shinked the left iris, and even scaled the right one up a bit. Thanks again Kretin! Havenīt made the morphs yet, but will definately do that!

The textures on the eyes are still the same, but they will be altered. Nemoid just came with a good point that it all would gain contrast by making them any other color than blue.

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/annoying_update.jpg

Chagidiel
06-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Came to think of it that I have not shown you his cute rear yet ;)

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/annoying_rear.jpg

Just for the sake of updates and the fact that this is a WIP-thread; here is the result of a SBD-test I did for the helmet-straps in order to set up everything correct for the rigging.
This is nothing special really, but I know MD-things are "hot" around here, so I thaught I could share it.
I used MD Metaplug to get the best result and keep the calc-time down. That is the way I will go on the vest for the final setup aswell.

Helmet Straps MD-test (http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/HelmetMD_small.avi)
[DivX 5.0.3 - 528 Kb]

Iīll keep updating as soon as I get time.
Seeyah!

Cheers

/Erik

A little bit OT.... but what has happened to the bouncy smiley?

Nemoid
07-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Chagidiel

The textures on the eyes are still the same, but they will be altered. Nemoid just came with a good point that it all would gain contrast by making them any other color than blue.

yap!

different colors in models help to give a "chaotic" and threrefore more realistic look to a creature. in this case u have the helmet and the jacket, but in the body there is not smth so strange wich can impress the viewer.

try different colors and see what do fit in your model.

another thing could be that the teeth should have some yellow dirt, both in color, both at their base, expecially if u want a realistic aspect, but it works the same in unrealistic too!!:thumbsup:

P.S. definitely I WANT the bounce smiley again:buttrock:

Chagidiel
07-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Time for an update

This weekend I took the time to bone and rig the thing. It is almost done, I think... though whilst writing this I came to think of that I still miss controllers for his shoulders. I had it in mind when starting the setup, but forgot it. I will put at his shoulders and let the upper arm bones have them respectiely as goals. I will then turn on IK for the shoulderbones as well. I will parent the shouldernulls to a master that can controll both shoulders.

Anyway... hera are some images of the setup and bones. I tried to keep them as clean as possible, but these rigshots tend to end up messy... sorry for that.

If anyone has suggestions or questions, please let me know (this is still a WIP and Iīm not that experienced with rigging... )

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/rigdemo.jpg

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/rigdemofront.jpg

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/skelegons.jpg

I wrap this update with a preview of the traditional arrangement of a walkcycle.

ANNOYING WALK (http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/walk_preview.avi) - [DivX 5.0.3 - 1MB]

Donīt know if this is the style I will let him walk eventually. It will do for testing the rest of the setup though. Soo... up next: MD-setup fpr vest, helmet and weener (I havenīt tried that last thing out yet).

kretin
07-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Very cool stuff :) I love the MD test, and can't wait to see the whole thing with MD...

Yeah the shoulder control like you've described is real useful :)

Only other thing I'd suggest is creating muscle bones for the chest/pecs. Create a bone starting around the nipple, and targeting the deltoids/shoulder muscles. Then apply the musclebone expression. This will make a big difference to the deformation of the chest and shoulder area...

Chagidiel
07-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Kretin - thanks for your tip on the chestmusclething. Though... when looking at my thing I feel that might be work in vain. Mainly because the vest covers most parts of that area. Iīll keep it in mind though.

Did a rendered anim for the first time with this thing. I have now added the vest and the helmet to the walk. Iīm affrad the walky motion did not quite suffice for a true MD-test... as you can see it doesnīt move around very much. But it works as it should, though.
NOTE: no extra penis-motion yet :)
I will have to set up a little more wild motion for him to get the straps really swaying.

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/walk_010.jpg
(an image from the render)

MD WALK (http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/walk_md.avi) [DivX 5.0.3 - 1mb] (make sure to play as loop... it is only 60 frames long)

Iīll be back!
Cheers

/Erik

kretin
07-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Of course, you're right, I forgot about the vest :p No point in extra work for an area that won't be seen...

Clothes look great in your walk cycle, can't wait to see some more active motion.

Remember in your walk to make his torso/hips move left to right over the grounded foot so he keeps his center of gravity in the right place, especially in a walk where his feet are so far apart...

Steve Warner
07-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Hey Chagidiel, this just keeps getting better and better. :) Thanks for keeping us posted!

Steve

Chagidiel
07-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by kretin
Remember in your walk to make his torso/hips move left to right over the grounded foot so he keeps his center of gravity in the right place, especially in a walk where his feet are so far apart...

Too true! I will remember that in further animations. Iīm just so scared of overanimating it, making him a JarJar Binks. But I guess that is a common fear with animators :)
However it is best to go out wild and take it down from that than having to force it up all the time.

Thanks again for your support Kretin and Steve :wavey:

kretin
07-11-2003, 01:27 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about JarJar :p

It's pretty difficult getting that sort of motion with keyframed animation. Mocap has alot to answer for there :)

Chagidiel
07-30-2003, 10:21 PM
I am not working as much as I would like with this guy... so it runs slow between the progressions.

Here I have started making motions with motionmixer (...or rather FOR motionmixer). This is the first one; the thing jumping and having fun. May need some adjustments still. It still lacks some moments of anticipation to make it as alive as I want it. But Iīll go ahead with other motions and get back to this one later I think.
Please tell me what you think about it guys :)

http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/jumparch.jpg

Animations: [DivX format - v. 5.0.3]

JUMP - [1 MB] (http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/jump.avi)

To enjoy the flow of the softbody-stuff I made a slowmotion-version

JUMP SLO-MO - [1,25 MB] (http://www.turboforce3d.com/demos/jump_slow.avi)

I think I have set up the MD-stuff in a satysfying way. It all works as it should, except the penis-jiggle. Canīt get that to work out so I am looking in other directions now. Perhaps I should just wait for [8] and see how all of that might help me.

Chagidiel
07-30-2003, 10:31 PM
Oh... I forgot!

I have a little question for any somewhat MD-experienced dude out there.
It is regarding the "end-behaviour"-setting in the MDPlug/MDMetaplug properties. My problem is I canīt get the motion to repeat/loop as I is supposed to do when end-behaviour is set to repeat. I have tried this from all directions I can think of (changing dumpfiles and mddīs and calced everything in different orders and what not) but it must be something that I am missing. The most annoying thing about it is that I know I have used this feature myself years ago and I know I got it to work!

However... my question would be; how should I set it up to make my MD-motion end up in a "loopable" manner, using the end-behaviour-feature?

I would be very pleased if anyone could straighten this out for me :) The manual just tells me what the different settings do, and not how they should be applied to work (as far as I can see).

Thankx

Bye

/Erik

Remi
07-30-2003, 10:41 PM
I don't know much about MD but if i'm not mistaken....it's not loopable is it? I could be wrong....BTW...great character...lots of style...great job:)

Triple G
07-30-2003, 11:21 PM
I can't really help ya with the MD question either, but just wanted to say that this is really looking great...a very funny and appealing little critter! :thumbsup:

gruvsyco
07-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Really nice character design :thumbsup:

Deam
07-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Woow Very annoying... I can't keep my eyes of it! :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.