PDA

View Full Version : Converting LWS to 3DS

ChrisBasken
06-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Yeah, sorry, I'm harping about this topic again...

I've got a LWO model I'd like to animate in UnrealEd, but all the converter plug-ins seem to be Max-oriented. I can get the model itself into UnrealEd, but that's just UnrealEd understanding the LWO file format. Animating the model in Layout, then trying to get it into UnrealEd, seems to be the real trick. OTOH, UnrealEd seems to eat .3DS animations without complaint.

Is there anything like a LWS -> 3DS converter? Flay has a lot of LWO converters, but no LWS ones that I can see.

wgreenlee1
06-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ChrisBasken
Yeah, sorry, I'm harping about this topic again...

I've got a LWO model I'd like to animate in UnrealEd, but all the converter plug-ins seem to be Max-oriented. I can get the model itself into UnrealEd, but that's just UnrealEd understanding the LWO file format. Animating the model in Layout, then trying to get it into UnrealEd, seems to be the real trick. OTOH, UnrealEd seems to eat .3DS animations without complaint.

Is there anything like a LWS -> 3DS converter? Flay has a lot of LWO converters, but no LWS ones that I can see.

DStrom has a really good plugin for exporting to .3ds.I'm not sure if it can export scenes.Maybe FBX?
You might check over there.
I dont have the url though.

Steve Warner
06-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Yeah, try FBX. I just read a review of Motionbuilder by George Maestri and he said:

"The FBX format incorporates 3D model data, texturing, skeletons, rigging , and animation data. It's probably the most powerful 3D file format in existence. I have used it to transfer scenes between packages without even involving the Motionbuilder program."

Sounds like the perfect universal format. :)

Triple G
06-22-2003, 11:19 PM
FBX may work....then again, it may not. I've had trouble getting content created with other packages into Lightwave, but it may not be an issue going from LW to other packages. I seem to recall someone having trouble going from LW to Maya, but I guess it all depends. :shrug:

ChrisBasken
06-23-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm making progress with Mike Bristol's (http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mbristol/) Unreal exporter, where I've gotten it to make the .psk (mesh) and .psa (animation) files, but UnrealEd crashes when I try to import the .psa.

Does a weapon mesh need an "anchor" bone of some sort?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.