PDA

View Full Version : Beginning WIP

Dugg
06-22-2003, 08:23 PM
The only head I have ever done is Dan Ablan's tutorial, so modelling in pieces is the only way I know.
I have started a project and have taken some reference photos and then have done a fast and furious modelling just to get the flow of polys and hopefull unique structure to each character. I will then work them into their characters.
Is there anything in the construction or methodology which I may regret later on? Too many... too few polys? Things that will make working with them difficult?

Dugg
06-22-2003, 08:30 PM
didn't accept my picture

Dugg
06-22-2003, 08:36 PM
http://www.tacktote.com/dugg/firsttestmagus.jpg

kretin
06-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Great start Dugg :thumbsup:

That's a good poly count to be starting with. The only concern with poly count is making sure that it's as low as possible while still being enough for the level of detail you're after.

Starting low like this is perfect. You can always add more along the way, in certain areas, if you want more detail.

One thing with creating multiple characters like this is that it's best to leave creating the second character as late as possible. That way you only have to create one set of UVs, weights, and alot of morphs will translate straight across too. So create your vertex maps, then copy the geometry and manipulate for your second character... Also doing this you'll have realised where you do need more detail/polys and will only have to do that once too.

Watch that forehead ridge, you might wanna move the center points in a bit unless you're making StarTrek characters :p

Dugg
06-23-2003, 02:07 AM
Thanks, part of my concern is that the characters would not seem unique enough if I re-used parts of one to build another. So I thought if I did each of the 4 characters without referring to the others, and built each a set of endomorphs etc from scratch they would seem to have a stronger personality.
I know from the days of my youth if I drew 4 characters... they all kind of looked like me.
At this stage I mostly wanted to blast in some mesh and now I will work it to form. I just didn't want to perfect some mesh which was fundamentally flawed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.