PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle: Metal Slug Vehicle 001. Tank

LaDoSKuRo
06-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, this is my first post here.

It's a tank based on the 2D model of the arcade/neo-geo game Metal Slug (I love the detail of that game), hope you like it.

Note: Even if it's not textured, I won't continue working on it, so I thought it's finished work.

http://mrghostedge.i8.com/TankeMS.jpg

EDIT: Up again, server went down long ago and I didn't notice it.

-={MMC}=-Stitch
06-22-2003, 07:57 PM
wow pretty good maybe a wire would be tite

Razorwolf
06-22-2003, 08:16 PM
I really like this style. It reminds me of the work done by Feng ( artbyfeng.com (http://www.artbyfeng.com) ). Really nice although the main gun doesn't look too impressive.

Still..
keep up the good work dude! I would love to see your other creations.

lithik
06-22-2003, 09:16 PM
haha i love that tank :bounce: i was just playing metal slug x the other day gj very good job of making it 3d from a sprite

BiTMAP
06-22-2003, 09:31 PM
hehe thats one high performance tank (i never seen a tank jump before this one!)

mindrot
06-22-2003, 09:51 PM
wicked :buttrock: I love metal slug, you've really done a great job with the tank.... gonaa texture her up???? :bounce:

catbert
06-22-2003, 10:16 PM
my friend weapon x cant be here (he wants to thank the academy though, ill be reciving his prize :p ) but he sends the following :

great job man, why wont you make all the slugs from the series? there are a bunch of them including Jet Slug and even Camel slug :D

i say it kicks ass :beer: you should make both a mod for ut2003 - both the non interactive cinematics, and the models :p

or a half life 2 mod

unLevel
06-22-2003, 10:18 PM
whoa, great job! :eek:

LaDoSKuRo
06-22-2003, 10:34 PM
Thank you all for the replies.

yeah, I can post the wire, but only after the meshsmooth... collapsing problems (don't ask :annoyed: ) and I couldn't texture it because of that, but I have thought it many times.

I started the Jet too, after I finished the tank, but I was too tired, maybe I will continue it some day :rolleyes:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/theladoskuro/tankmesh02.jpg
http://usuarios.lycos.es/theladoskuro/tankmesh01.jpg

ShadowM8
06-22-2003, 11:23 PM
Wow :drool:

Can i ask you to take some close up renders of the track system it looks so coplicated...

Jackdeth
06-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Good start. But the real question here is....

can it move?

Can the treads animate, can the turret turn, can the gun aim? Only then will it be a really good model.

Working mechcanics are the calling card ot the finest modelers.

ShadowM8
06-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Looking at the design i don't think the turret was ment to turn! But what the turret can do is ahve a nice recoil after the shot!

As for tracks from what i see they could be animated (thats why i asked for close pictures).

ed209
06-23-2003, 12:05 AM
That's awsome...looks like you translated it perfectly into 3D.

Joe Gosselin
06-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Great concept Great modeling Cheers

BiTMAP
06-23-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Jackdeth
Good start. But the real question here is....

can it move?

Can the treads animate, can the turret turn, can the gun aim? Only then will it be a really good model.

Working mechcanics are the calling card ot the finest modelers.

the base concept was never able to do any of those and it didn't need too, the MG's went up and down, as did the turret that was it (hey did german tanks turrets move ? most of them no) the shocks are for making the tank jump :D it isn't really realistic at all, but it had an awesome style and lots of games today even don't have style!

Shaykai
06-23-2003, 05:23 AM
hey man, great model! I love its style so much, and metal slug is one of my favorite games. Great job man!!

Shaykai

m_luscombe
06-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Amazing model from an amazing game.

I always said I would model the whole set (and a few jellyfish aliens) when I get some free time.

It's too bad this is a far as it's going. It's an amazing model, but it would look even better textured :)

Emberghost
06-23-2003, 07:05 AM
WOW, very impressive. That would be one kickass animation.....what if hehe......:thumbsup:

TheGreenGiant
06-23-2003, 08:28 AM
VEry nice renders. Now look at them, one question comes to mind.

what's the best and easiest way to do a coil in MAYA? I know Max has a built in shaper former but Maya doesn't have a coil creator (or not that I'm aware of anyway)

VERY NICE

BiTMAP
06-23-2003, 09:48 AM
would you not create a cylinder face and extrude it to a spiral curve??

ambient-whisper
06-23-2003, 09:59 AM
great work man. its really nice to see the slug getting more attention :) it definitely is a shame that its not getting textured though. i had started this tank last year and wasnt going for a detailed model such as yours. more based around animation. so i had the treads setup so the tank could drive, jump, and duck :D definitely a challenge.

plugged. :)

m-greenwood
06-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Excellent.
The Metal Slug games are asome of my favourite 2d shooters ever!
Make some more!

BiTMAP
06-23-2003, 10:18 AM
congrats on plug!

Nosalis
06-23-2003, 10:28 AM
Great work there, .. what is it rendered in ? and how :)

rrobert
06-23-2003, 10:35 AM
You probably used skylight right???

http://www.vi2.com/getFile/188416.gif

Askhanir
06-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Good work ! :applause:

And now ?!... the textures ?! ;)

Ultimatebadass
06-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Great work man! And metal slug roxx :D

ZVAN
06-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Nice model... how long did u take?:applause:

ernie (WV)
06-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Great job Sir
... and best of all finally I can see an objekt which wasn't build cubes on cubes :thumbsup:

spm
06-23-2003, 11:20 AM
smack on some materials atleast... dont have to texture too hard. its all mostly metal anyway :)

The Cross
06-23-2003, 11:27 AM
I never seen or heard of Metal Slug. That tank looks freakin awsome. Where's that award ?

katon
06-23-2003, 11:41 AM
great model, you couldnt have picked a more cool subject to make someting 3d out of. metal slug rules. great work!:beer

CGmonkey
06-23-2003, 11:50 AM
I loooove metal slug, especially on Sega Saturn..

And I looove your model! :)

DAREONER
06-23-2003, 12:07 PM
very good design !!:thumbsup:

haslingerDesign
06-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Don`t know Metal Slug either. but the tank reminds me of Z - a strategic game, where some freaky aliens cruising through the universe with theire shuttle and a six pack of bear are looking for some nice planets to terrorize...

greets&regegards

]gRe[

Banshee
06-23-2003, 01:22 PM
This is Max-modelling and rendered using Brazil, right?

Well - it looks really good, but it should really be textured...

If texturing is too much effort, you could download the free dark-tree / simbionts-materials, they work perfectly with Brazil and the procedural rusted-metal-textures are quite good...

gL_spear
06-23-2003, 01:31 PM
this is a great peice of work, it would a classic peice if it was textured. other than that great stuff.:bounce: :bounce:

geoffb
06-23-2003, 01:33 PM
I absolutely love it. I agree with everyone else. YOU HAVE TO TEXTURE IT! No if's-and's-or-but's about it. It just has to be done! Metal Slug use to waste all of my change. I had to play everytime i walked by an arcade that had it. Its incredible.

I think it would be kinda cool to see an excerpt from the game and then the camera zooms in and the tank becomes your model and starts blowing stuff up! That would be a cool animation. IMO

Regards,
Geoff
:buttrock :airguitar :buttrock:

Nosalis
06-23-2003, 01:37 PM
I would not texture it, it look great way it is. I think, that with textures it will loose its "magic"

christianJ
06-23-2003, 02:11 PM
I too love metal slug and would love to see a 3d game with the same amount of style and concept. I love all the chubby little vehicles in the game. I have wanted to do a 3d game in this style for years but western publishers just want realism most of the time. Yawn.

Nice job.

mora
06-23-2003, 02:26 PM
hey great tank!! however I do remember the commandos getting in the tank and you can actually see their heads out.Is there any entrance on this baby?

Zeruel the 14th
06-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Fantastic. I remember the games. I was given a rom of MSX not too long ago Along with the others. Just like i remember them. Great stuff. I really like the detail on the tracks. Its looks more than ready to scale a mountain or claw its way up a wall.

Any chance of a Gun totting camel from MSX? ;)

I'd be intersted to see some renditions of Metal Slug Bosses. MS in my opinion still has some of the greatest and coolest looking bosses in any game. Period.

Glowfinger
06-23-2003, 02:31 PM
I've taken my jaw off the floor, Wicked.:applause:

WhiteBlaizer
06-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Bravo Bravo!!! Metal slug!!!:applause: :applause:

El tanke te ha quedado super chulo!, una lastima que no se le de textura. Te pasa = k a mi con todos los modelos que hago ^^

un saludo!

gabe || neutra
06-23-2003, 02:53 PM
liloliloliloliloooooooooooooo :wip: :wip: :wip: :wip:

Nosalis
06-23-2003, 03:30 PM
answer the rendering question pls. Is it Brazil or something different

abgrafx3d
06-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Sweeet model! Great job.:applause:

kleinluka
06-23-2003, 03:46 PM
this model kicks some serious ass... great work!

dtek8
06-23-2003, 04:00 PM
sweet work!! :buttrock:

I am also making a metal slug vehicle,,,The Morden ( a giant thing that goes on rails!! )

now I have to try even harder to make it as nice as yours :)

was going to attach a pic of it not sure i want to unveil it yet though....

freevision
06-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Ole LaDoSKuRo con 2 cojones!!!! TORERO

PD.- es mi amigo de #3dsymax :beer:

LaDoSKuRo
06-23-2003, 04:13 PM
First, sorry for taking so long to post... (I have to sleep once a month :rolleyes: )

I modeled the tank about 3 years ago ...in max 2&3 (I never thought of post it before) and I used edit mesh&mesh smooth.

The tank was rendered about...2 years ago when brazil was just a early beta using a renderer called Jackie 3D that only had simple GI (it didn't have even materials) and it's no longer being developed.

If it has a entrance.. I guess it has to be in the top of the tank, but when the tank shoots it has to be really dangerous for your health. (:D)

About the request to texture it, I will try it, I promise, and if it looks better than now, I will post it again.

Thank you all for the replies :love:

for BrandonSSmith: about your critiques, I respect that you didn't like it, but I think they aren't constructive at all... and about the textures... or about animation. sometimes a model is thought to look one way... and i'd like you to respect that this is the way I like it. :p

Refulgo
06-23-2003, 04:18 PM
:thumbsup: Love it!!!

Greencheese
06-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Really nice one... I wouldn´t texture that either...I like it this way. good work!

woadiestyol
06-23-2003, 04:27 PM
I've never played or seen Metal Slug, but this model looks pretty sweet! Keep up the good work.

Titan
06-23-2003, 04:43 PM
nice work man, love the visual impact it creates...creative and fun...hey its a sport utility tank..hahahaha..:applause:

Carbon
06-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Thats really cool. Can't wait till it's textured! :buttrock:

strick9
06-23-2003, 05:52 PM
<<====== Sucker for anything video game related.

You did an awesome job translating this into 3D.

ivo D
06-23-2003, 06:31 PM
you have backups uno. .so if it gets collapsed look in your 3.. max autobackup files.. and it will still be fine ther :D

good work.. looks really cool!:D

SimonReeves
06-23-2003, 06:32 PM
hmmm is it just me, or do the treds look backwards? :shrug:

taboo
06-23-2003, 07:06 PM
i think you were using the front , back and top blueprints at the end of the game?? :)

when i finished the game, i saw those nice blueprints at the end of the game, i was thinking the same thing.

but you did..

great work!

catbert
06-23-2003, 07:09 PM
weaponx says : "Hey man, if you need some shots of the metal slug before you get in and in action i can post them here, i have all metal slugs (1-4 and as soon as the fifth comes out i'll have it too)."

eirenicon
06-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Looks spot on, Metal Slug is a great game. There's another render of the idental tank here (http://texturedump.sabren.com/images/hp/mslug-bg.jpg), by Sean Siem, which I thought of right away. It's unfortunate he didn't texture his, maybe you'll texture yours?

Boone
06-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Very nice.:thumbsup:

Spiralopia
06-23-2003, 07:28 PM
The second one looks mechanical. If we stress on detail the first one is the one to tell out.

Just remember : Metal Slug is a side scroll game.. so no 3D rotating.... Just up & down. :D

Grubwyrm
06-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Wow! Nice! I love Metal Slug! Nice to see a fellow fan. That's perfect!

-Grubwyrm

Levitateme
06-23-2003, 07:39 PM
wow! when i saw metal slug on here, i was hoping who ever was messing with that would do the game justice. great great job thats perfect, are you going to texture it?

pascal_blanche
06-23-2003, 08:29 PM
metal slug.. just love this game :buttrock: really cool modelling,
You should maybe just make the cockpit a little BIGGER so it fits with original designs:
animated gif references (http://es.geocities.com/canal_manicomio/mslug/mslug.htm)

welcome aboard LaDoSKuRo :)

phoenix
06-23-2003, 08:31 PM
cool work man

LaDoSKuRo
06-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Hi again :)

yes, I used those blueprints even if the model of the tank wasn't exactly the same, and a lot of shots and wallpapers from the games.

to catbert... as a fan of the game I own all the metal slugs and have played hours and hours (and hours :surprised ) but anyway, thank you for the offering

that other model timothyD posted is cool too (I thought I was the only metal slug freak and I was worried about it)

thank you for all the effort on the replies. (and thank you P.Blanché for the welcome :rolleyes: )

PolyMangler
06-23-2003, 09:22 PM
dude that rocks.. i loved the look of metal slug...great model can't wait to see it textured

arvid
06-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Superb! Very true to the original style of the game :thumbsup:

d4rk
06-23-2003, 09:28 PM
Wow that totally rocks. I'm looking forward to seeing some nice textures on it! I think if you went WWII style with the textures you couldn't go wrong. Though I think any military textures would make it look awesome. Just don't make it chrome ;)

Nightwish
06-23-2003, 09:55 PM
beautifull. I like it.

bbigger
06-23-2003, 10:40 PM
The images aren't showing up. Anyone else?

The Cross
06-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Judging by the look of the tank. It's probably a quick little bugger. Even though the cannon only moves up and down, There's nothnig that will stop those treads from spining that thing so it can blow away anything that tries to creep up on it.

This model is from a video game yes...But it's not made for a video game. Then again. It would be great to see it in a video game.

How many years will it take before the makers of computer hardware deliver us a system that will handel a full blown videogame with models far exceeding todays polygonal densities ?

SNK is owned by capcom now, i wonder if they caught an eyeful of this image, if it would inspire them to resurect Metal Slug. Although i never seen the game i have a starving urge to play it.
If anyone can help me with that it would be much appreaciated.

Levitateme
06-24-2003, 12:17 AM
you can always import it for the ps2. metal slug 3 came out for it. its either 3 or X. im not to certain about that, in the game the tank moves slow. i have 1 metal slug game for my neo geo pocket still. that game has great animation. ... . just fyi...

geoffb
06-24-2003, 12:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone has screen shots of the technical drawings of the tank from the end of the game, cause i would like to have a go at modeling it too.

by the way i just finished playing it on mame! I love that game so much!:buttrock:

geoff

Levitateme
06-24-2003, 10:03 AM
like the guy who modeled this pic said, he had a bunch of reference pics. if you go on googl e im sure will find something.

m_luscombe
06-24-2003, 10:18 AM
The Cross: I'm not sure about Capcom and SNK. Last I heard, SNK is now owned by a company called Playmore, and they are in the process of resurrecting old games. Just take a look at the bottom of this page:

<http://www.snkneogeo.co.jp/product/mvs.html#ms4>

The real shame is that SNK was never really a console company. The Neo Geo was a bit of a redeployment of the arcade hardware to compete with Nintendo and Sega. As much as I loved the games and the console and the arcade machines, they mismanaged it then, and they appear to be mismanaging it now.

I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is that, unless you live in Japan or import japanese carts for your homemade neo-geo arcade, we won't see Metal Slug 4 in North America, legally.

Sorry to jump in there, I'm a video game addict. Had to say something :rolleyes:

Selvagem
07-03-2003, 11:55 PM
:(

never got to see it...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.