PDA

View Full Version : Those that may use FixSymmetry

Cman
06-22-2003, 06:40 PM
I updated it a bit, so now you can pick a bunch of points on one side of axis, then pick, in order, the one's on otherside you want matched.

Or you can always just mirror your whole object. :D

FixSymmetry (http://www.m2estudios.com/Files/cm_FixSymmetry.ls)

Steve Warner
06-22-2003, 10:34 PM
And you said you weren't working on anything interesting. ;) This tool rocks!

Thanks, Cman!

polarman3d
06-22-2003, 10:49 PM
This is great! Thanks Cman!

Cman
06-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Steve Warner
And you said you weren't working on anything interesting. ;) This tool rocks!

Thanks, Cman!

Actually, I did this after speaking with you.
I'm trying to do an entry in 10second club to learn Motionbuilder and try some character animation.
I had to reset the symmetry on 3DDave's skele - and it just seemed easier to pick a bunch of points on one side and then a bunch on the other - so I fixed it. :shrug:
I'll post a WIP, if my little anim goes anywhere...

rickycox
06-23-2003, 03:16 AM
Hi Cman, very cool thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Pickman
09-18-2003, 10:20 AM
You might help me out guys, and thx for this tool, which seems what I'm looking for. I'm a max user and try to model organic stuff in LW to see the difference in the workflow and the quality result, I'm just basically trying to model one side of a face and have it built in real time on the other side.

In Max, you create and object, add a symmetry modifier, do whatever you want on left side for instance and modifications are instantly updated on right side, then when you're happy you collapse the stack.

What is the correct workflow in LW, there seems to be hundreds of script to perform that simple task ??? I'm a bit puzzled here ?

Thx in advance

telamon
09-18-2003, 10:34 AM
it is simple with LW, you have to activate the symmetry mode by typing shft+Y on your keyboard. The symmetry plan is YZ in any case.

If you want to mirror an object. type shift+v and do a symmetry axis on x=0.

I am a former max user and I have to say that symmetry is better in LW than in Max R3.1 Hope that Discreet has improved the symmetry modifier since. ;)

koroko
09-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Cman, you roxxxs!!

Thanks for updating, i use it quite much...:thumbsup:

Pickman: Follow what telamon suggested, but i´ll share with you what my workflow and little tools works the best to me...(i´m max user too).
For quick workflow, instead of shift-v, i use a cool set of scripts from the mighty Terry Ford, his mirror tools, they simply mirror from left to right or the oposite, actually i work mostly with the symmetry mode on, but some tools doesnt like the symetry, i use it then, in fact i have maped the tools in keys so is rather quick, and the middle gets welded, any time the points in the middle ( x=0) of your model gets screwed, i use 3d-pointrail selector(search on flay), or loopsel(ikeda tools, go to flay and get them!), and sel the middle points, hit Ctrl-v, and set them to x=0, so the mirrors works seamlessly...

Here´s terry´s plugins:
http://www.terryf.dsl.pipex.com/htm/frameplugins.shtml
Here´s 3d-pointrail sel:
http://www.3d-drawing.com/plugins/plugins.html
Here´s ikeda polytools:
http://www.davidikeda.com/

This and lotsa hours of work, and your set to conquer the organic modelling world!

Cheers!

roguenroll
09-18-2003, 11:50 AM
thx, cool one

Pickman
09-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Thx all, koroko, i've installed and tried the mirror tool (from left to right, and I can't make it work, I make an object, align the points coordinates on X axis in front viewport, run the script and my object dissapear, living just a polygon in the middle ???

terryford
09-18-2003, 01:29 PM
koroko, thanks for the plug :)

Pickman. that doesn't sound right at all. The mirror tools only work correctly with one foreground layer active, that might be your problem.

If that's not it then could you post before/after screen grabs, or email me the object to test?

Regards,
Terry

Pickman
09-18-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi terryford, it doesn't seem to work when I put the object (whatever obect) and control+V the points on X 0.0, otherwise it works ?? !
The thing is now I've got a welded obect but when I knife it or move it the other side doesn't react at all ?

Locutus
09-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by telamon

I am a former max user and I have to say that symmetry is better in LW than in Max R3.1 Hope that Discreet has improved the symmetry modifier since. ;)
:wise:
Uh, you might want to check again......3dsmax didn't have a symmetry modifier until version 5.

Pickman,
There are subtle differences between LW's symmetry mode and 3dsmax's symmetry modifier, but they essentially work the same way. I currently use both LW and 3dsmax quite frequently so if you have any other questions about their differences feel free to ask.
:thumbsup:

Pickman
09-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Ok then Locutus, how do you get on with symmetry ??, I mean I have my terry ford's mirror tool but now each part seems individual, if you knife, parts don't move accordingly ??? why, is there a symmetry mode to activate in LW ??? or do you have to keep deleting and mirroring the polys ???
Thx for your reply:)

terryford
09-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Pickman
Hi terryford, it doesn't seem to work when I put the object (whatever obect) and control+V the points on X 0.0, otherwise it works ?? !
The thing is now I've got a welded obect but when I knife it or move it the other side doesn't react at all ?

Hmm... I'm not sure I understand you... If you have an object with a vertical column of points at X=0 then the mirror/delete tools should work. The tools are just a quick command based way to mirror or delete half your geometry, they don't activate any interactive mirroring or symmetry.

Symmetry mode in LightWave's Modeler is limited to manipulation of existing polys/points (via move/drag/magnet/pole, etc). Geometry creation isn't mirrored even with symmetry mode active, that's just the way it works. :shrug:

...or do you have to keep deleting and mirroring the polys ???
Thx for your reply:)

That's precisely why Mirror Tools exists.

Regards,
Terry

Pickman
09-18-2003, 04:19 PM
I thought that was the case (I mean, an interactive immediate feedback on the other side, why don't they do that ??, LW seems so optimized in many ways for speeding modeling workflow....that
something they should definately add to a next version.
Anyway, I do undersstand why your plugin is so damn useful, thx a lot Terryford and you guys.

Personnally I would recommend people shifting from Max to LW to grab terry's mirror tool, david ikeda's tools for the meshtools equivalent, Pictrix rounder to chamfer edges and pointfit (!!) the last one is simply amazing.

Just a small question when you smoothshift a poly, how can you scale and play with the offset at the same time, I tried right and middle button but with no luck ?

terryford
09-18-2003, 04:53 PM
I thought that was the case (I mean, an interactive immediate feedback on the other side, why don't they do that ??
It's been a requested feature for a while now.

Just a small question when you smoothshift a poly, how can you scale and play with the offset at the same time, I tried right and middle button but with no luck ?
Numeric panel, shortcut "n" - works for all interactive tools.

Regards,
Terry

telamon
09-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Locutus
:wise:
Uh, you might want to check again......3dsmax didn't have a symmetry modifier until version 5.
:thumbsup:

Now you are right, I have checked and I was dealing with the mirroring tool which could generate a reference of the object under modelling :beer:

Locutus
09-18-2003, 10:35 PM

The bevel tool is actually better to use if you're trying to create JUST an inset(outset). You can adjust the funtions in the numeric panel for the bevel tool.
Unfortunately, Lightwave doesn't have a tool for interactively creating an inset like 3dsmax does, but using bevel will work it just uses more steps.
Here's a hint for smoothshift: activate the smoothshift tool, right click the poly(s) you are editing to create the inset, then switch to your move tool and use it to move the inset out(in). Eventually you'll get used to using both Bevel and Smoothshift for creating insets.
I hope this helps a little.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.