PDA

View Full Version : MAYA: Newbie Questions: Joints to NOT Bind to Object

az3d
12-26-2008, 03:01 AM
OK Here is a summary of the problem. When I smooth bind the rig, or any joint chains of rig to the character, the character will only deform when the root joint is moved, it will not respond to joints that are lower in the hierarchy. Thanks.
-Austin

And sorry I posted this in the wrong place. I just realized :shrug:

MolemanSD7
12-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Make sure the skinning options in the smooth skinning window are set to include the joint hierarchy and not just the selected joints. Open up the smooth skin option box. It should be the furst pull down block you see. I don't have maya in front of me so I'm not too sure on that, but it is in there.

On another note, for future reference, if you ever want to add a joint to a skincluster, you can select the joint and the mesh, go to the 'edit smooth skin' menu, and clicd 'add influence'

Hope this helps.

az3d
12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I eventually figured this out by playing around with settings, and thanks for the tip. It is really useful!

CGTalk Moderation
12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.