PDA

View Full Version : SplineControl point position ?

EvilE
06-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Is there a way to control the point position for the spline control plugin ( before it starts deforming the object ) ?
Theres a scale by Weight Map option but i cant find any explanation what its good for and how it works .

My fishy here would really like to get proper deformed :wavey:

http://www.evildesignz.de/fishy.jpg

RobPowers
06-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Get the Bezier Bend tool from Flay. IMHO it works much better than spline control. It uses actual null objects for the deformation so you can work with the spline "nodes" much easier than the way SplineControl does it.

If you still want to use SplineControl then select the object you have SplineControl Applied to and in the graph editor look in the bottom left window. You should be able to find the control points listed there although it is very awkward.

comanche
06-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Set up the point positions to your liking. Then click the "Set Rest Shape" button in the SplineControl panel.

Cheers,
Andreas

EvilE
06-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Works fine :) Thanks a lot:beer:

EE

EvilE
06-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Seems like the Bezier Bend tool is not on the authors website anymore :( It would be nice if anyone could send it to sven@evildesignz.de .

That dam Spline Control pluggin is crap . Wont work with Motionmixer wont work with expressions as it should . Dam :wip:

EE

webfox
06-22-2003, 09:48 PM
It's here. (http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/plugin-page.html#BezierBend)

On this page. (http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/plugin-page.html)

EvilE
06-22-2003, 10:04 PM
thx :)

Ramon
01-11-2005, 07:42 PM
I just now got around to messing with spline based animation and I must say that Spline Control is seriously bugging me.:banghead: It would be great if it worked the way it should but:

1. It displaces the object away from the bones on the z and y access. That stinks, big time.
2. I also can't reposition it's control points to a rest position of my choosing. GRRRR! The displacement effect takes effect immediately.

I have tried FIs Bezier Bend. That seems great although there is a slight discontinuity in the mesh from the (my object's) tail weight and the rest of the creature's body. Wonder what I'm doing wrong there.

SplineGod
01-11-2005, 08:22 PM
I would also try shift spline transform or even better, Trailer from DStorm because it will make your object conform to its own motion path. :)

Ramon
01-12-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the reply Larry. Actually, I have been using quite a few of these plugin deformers and SST was the first one that I used and it has been the best. I have yet to try Trailer although I have DLed it. Larry as you stated, Trailer uses the object's own path for it's deformation. But, this part of the object has it's motion independent from the object's main motion. I'll give it a try and see what comes of it.
Thanks for the input, as always.:thumbsup:

SplineGod
01-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Ramon.
What are you trying to animate using a spline deformer?

Ramon
01-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Well Larry, you remember that Dragon? I ended up animating his tail with bones but, know that I have some "leisure" time I have decided to go back to him and figure out some "smoother" ways to animate tails and such. I'd like to use SST for his neck too but, in that case, I'd love to be able to attach a bone to the end of that spline in order to have standard bone control for hard movement like his head and jaw. Although I guess I could parent another spline to the control point of the end of the neck spline and just use the control null of this new spline to rotate the whole jaw.:shrug:

SplineGod
01-12-2005, 07:33 AM
The tail would be very easy to animate using IKBooster. You could also do it via selection sets. That tentacle rig on my site gives an example of using selection sets that could be used to animate a tail the same way.
I had set up a quadruped with IKBooster in just a few minutes and then used it to also animate the tail and the the bone dynamics to animate the trunk. Even with the bone dynamics you can animate on top of it.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/quadruped_ikb_test.avi
and
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/quadruped_ikb_test2.avi

The nice thing about IKBooster is that it handles long chains of bones far better then the standard IK of LW. SST and FIs Bezer bend could be controlled via IKBooster as well but I dont think youll need to use those plugins.

Remi
01-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Just another suggestion....you could try using the plugin called secondary motion on it as well...I believe you can apply it and still key the bones...i'm not sure...I haven't used it in a while....maybe, maybe not....just something you could try out.:)

Ramon
01-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys! :thumbsup:

Larry, you're avis don't want to play on my comp. It says, Quicktime is missing software needed to play it and it's not located on the server. What type of compressor did you say it out as? This, so that I can hunt it down.
About booster, you said that it handles long IK chains far better than standard IK" but, I didn't even use standard IK. I tried it but, I guess that I didn't set up the Skelegons in the tail with enough of a curve in them to facsilitate the IK solver and function properly. When I tried moving any of the three target nulls along the tail, they bounced around wildly. I really would rather not have to go back into the model and bend the tail and skelegons just to accomodate an IK system that is not that great when it comes to multiple targets in the first place. By the way, my IK goal targets had (purposely) a degredation in strength 100% - 50% - 25% or something like that.

So then my question is, would I still have to bend the model / skelegons to prep for IKbooster - or does that work in such a way that you don't have to worry about bending an otherwise straight bone chain?
I had used just bones before (without IK) to animate the tail however, it's easy to end up with way too many keyframes for too many bones and that can get out of hand. That's way a 3 to 4 null target route for the tail (I would think) is the least hassle approach. But then again, you have done great work with just bones and selection sets. Do you use a two or three group selection (which comprises the entire length of the tail) when animating a tail that's not incredibly long? (like this convoluted novel I'm writing here).:D
Hey Remi, I haven't tried that plugin (yet). It sounds like something in Maya. This character's tail is very big, heavy and long so I'm not quite sure that the tail (in this case) would have secondary motion. Maybe slightly. I could be wrong.:D But I will definitely DL that plugin!:thumbsup: I can't believe I haven't heard of it! Is it fairly new?

SplineGod
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I believe the avi files are in divx format. IKBooster doesnt seem to get hung up about having to have the bones prebent and all that. For long chains it behaves the way you would expect it to. When you apply IKBooster every joint in the chain is animateable and you can pin/unpin any joint/node as you go. You dont have to set up multigoal IK chains as you would with standard IK which can still be very twitchy. IKBooster also allows you to use FK or IK on the fly. You can even (on the fly) determine where the IK stops and starts. You can also apply dynamics to just the bones in the tail and still be able to animate on top of that.

With selection sets you can create them on the fly as needed. I have 5 or so selection sets in that example: The whole tentacle, 2 halve sections and 3 - 1/3 sections.
I also set up channel sets for each selection set so I can easily go into the GE and slide the timing on each of the sets. Its pretty easy to do. You can also use selection sets in combination with IKBooster.

Ramon
01-12-2005, 06:16 PM
WOW! I didn't know IK booster could do all of that and on the fly! That's cool! :bounce:
What about those kinks that others talked about with residule movement to the rest of the skeleton? Is that a problem? If so, how do you fix that?

So if you don't need multigoals, then how do achieve a curvy motion? Wouldn't you need at least another goal in the center of the chain?

Also, with respects to the selection sets, I figured you had the two haves (that only makes sense for a tail setup (given the wave motion that it produce). However, having the 3 1/3 selections as an addative to that is great because that will allow for selecting the tails tip section of bones to produce a whipping effect if needed. I'm I correct? :thumbsup: DO you still use Selection set MC?
THANKS FOR ALL THE KNOWLEDGE YOU SHARE! IT IS SINCERELY APPRECIATED!

SplineGod
01-12-2005, 08:24 PM
IKBooster definately is very powerful and it comes with LW so its not a bad thing to take advantage of. :)

Im not sure what kinks others are talking about. Most of the problems I see with IKBooster stems from the lack of understanding of how it works.

You dont need to create a multigoal IK chain with IKB because when you apply it to a set of bones, EVERY joint automatically becomes a goal. You see small nodes or circles at each joint that acts as a control handle you can just grab and move. Next to each node you also see an HBP controller that you can directly access. So as I said, you can use IK and FK interchangeabley on the fly.

The IK works as you would expect with no popping or flipping on long chains. For example if you grab the last node and start moving it around the root bone of the chain the rest of the bones wrap in a spiral just as you would expect.

Lately Ive been using the selection sets in the new scene editor but selection sets MC is very nice :)

Ramon
01-13-2005, 01:44 AM
BRILLIANT! I'm going to try it out Larry! Sounds very powerful - as you say.
I must say though, I really like SST. The way you used it in you're face example, it's seemed similar to Maya's wire deformer. :)

SplineGod
01-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Ramon,
Theres a 3hr, $25.00 video at KURV that really explains the ins and outs of IKBooster in case youre wondering. ;)

Ramon
01-13-2005, 07:28 AM
COOL. Thanks Larry I'll definitely look into it! I'll check out the site!
Thanks again top dog, head honcho, etc. :)

SplineGod
01-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Ill be interested to see what you come up with :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.