PDA

View Full Version : Q: Merging UV maps

FB_Turbine
06-22-2003, 04:06 PM
If I created 2 UV maps for an object can I then merge the 2 maps into one map. Either copying one into the other or creating a new map from the existing 2?

edit] I'm using LW 7.5c

thanks,

Finkster
06-22-2003, 04:48 PM
I don't know if you can copy UV data from one map to another, but if I was you i would use the 'make UV' function. This will allow you to add more UVs to an already existing UV map i.e. map half the object, them 'make UV' for the other half on the same map - then just adjust UVs so they dont overlap.

Good luck,
Ciaran Moloney

FB_Turbine
06-22-2003, 05:07 PM
That's not really what I'm hopping for. I used that process to make the UV maps originally, but not I've decided I want one UV map. I've got around 45 surfaces split between the 2 uv maps and was hoping there was an easier way then starting over with that process for half the model. Also I've alread made the texture maps so if I could copy the uv data it would not be to much work to merge the 2 photoshop files. If I remake the UV maps it take a bit more work. I was hoping to find a solution I could do in minutes instead of an hour or 2. I'm surprised I haven't found a pluging to do this. Seems like something other people would have had to do.

leigh
06-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Yep, you can merge UV maps into one.

Go to the first of the UV maps that you want to merge, and click on Copy Map. This opens a new window with a field to enter a new name into.

Copy this name (just CTRL+C) into the computer clipboard.

Now, go to the next map that you want to merge, and click on Copy Map again. Paste (CTRL+V) the name of the map you made before into this field, and voila you'll find that this UV map now has both UV maps combined :)

People often forget that UV maps are vertex maps ;)

FB_Turbine
06-22-2003, 05:49 PM
My Hero!...It worked perfect. I tried the copy thing and never thought to use the name of an existing UVmap. Which is pretty sad since I made the UV maps by using make UV then using the existing map's name to add them in. Sometimes logic escapes me.

Thanks Leigh, I had a feeling you'd know the answer.:thumbsup:

Carm3D
06-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Heroine.

FB_Turbine
06-22-2003, 08:30 PM
doh!, sorry Leigh... we need a humbled emoticon for times like this.

leigh
06-22-2003, 08:57 PM
LOL
No apology necessary :p

Carm3D
06-22-2003, 09:38 PM
I like that new pic, Leigh! :)

NanoGator
06-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
Yep, you can merge UV maps into one.

Go to the first of the UV maps that you want to merge, and click on Copy Map. This opens a new window with a field to enter a new name into.

Copy this name (just CTRL+C) into the computer clipboard.

Now, go to the next map that you want to merge, and click on Copy Map again. Paste (CTRL+V) the name of the map you made before into this field, and voila you'll find that this UV map now has both UV maps combined :)

People often forget that UV maps are vertex maps ;)

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/84/allhail2.gif

leigh
06-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by NanoGator
http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/84/allhail2.gif

OMG that pic is so funny ROFLMAO :applause:

NanoGator
06-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Well, I guess the place didn't like hosting that image. Heh.

Here it is again:

http://www.reflectionsoldiers.com/smilies/allhail2.gif

Oo, they look like they're dancing to Fatboy Slim.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.