PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions

abeq
12-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Merry Christmas,

1. What size textures do most of you use for character textures at full HD resolution? Amusing that the characters will have close up shots.

2. I have a rigged and textured character done in XSI that a friend wants to animate in Maya. Is there an efficient and quick way to bring the character in to maya for animation and back to XSI for rendering? Has anyone had to do this in a production environment?

3. Does XSI 7 essential include network rendering? Is network rendering something i would have to purchase seperately or would i have to get XSI advanced for this feature? I'm thinking of getting an 8 CPU system or a 3 computer render farm.

oglu
12-25-2008, 06:11 PM
1. many 2k textures via uv tiles...

imax
12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
3. Essentials includes support for satellite renders for up to 4 satellites IIRC. That means you can install XSI Essentials with distributed rendering support on 4 other machines, using your master as the license host. You can then configure XSI (or actually MR) to use the satellites for rendering. Once the concept is understood, it is quite easy to set up. Just beware that this is something different then the MR slave machines, which requires a different license.

See http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/index.php/INFO:_Understanding_Rendering_Licensing for further information.

CGTalk Moderation
12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.