PDA

View Full Version : film grain problem

Frescalus
12-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Greetings,

I'm having a problem here, seems like film grain is getting in the way of me getting a good 3d track for compositing...

does anyone have any suggestions or techniques or just simply buy a better quality camera other than my canon fs100 (which this is just a normal camcorder)

Someone on another forum suggested I multiply the red and green channels together but i can't seem to get it right...

I'm using nuke 5.1v2 if that helps...

th3ta
12-29-2008, 03:49 AM
Are you sure its the grain that's the problem? What sort of issue are you having?

Frescalus
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
I can see the grain, looks like red and green speckles, moving around on the scene, a lot of that was aleviated and with the new high def camera I recently bought. I have more options that helped clear up a lot of that bad tracking so now its just finding the right settings to make it better. When I did this last track(in the wip forums) it was after I had fiddled with the settings....

got any suggestions for camera settings?

iann
01-03-2009, 05:18 AM
With an HD camera, noise shouldn't generally be a problem. What are you tracking with? Nuke's tracker?

Frescalus
01-03-2009, 05:43 PM
actually I was using a regular HD camera before, but I was trying nuke maya boujou and even syntheyes and was horribly messed up..

I got an hd camera so now its just a matter of tweaking the settings as I am able to do some good tracking...

now I just gotta find me some good nuke tutorials as I'm having some minor problems trying to composite in nuke =/

iann
01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Well with HD there could have been some nice tidying up of formats but instead there are now numerous hd formats. If the camera data is wrong it can really freak these programs out. So make sure your resolution and pixel aspect information is accurate. Also, I'd recommend Nuke's tutorials to start out with.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.