PDA

View Full Version : demo reel

jdonnelly
12-24-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm applying for jobs again as my last contract recently ended... was hoping to get some general feedback on my current reel. :) Thanks!

demoReel (http://www.rgbnation.com/DemoResume/demo.mov)

KielFiggins
12-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey man, big fan of your work. Loved Primevil (for the effects). Seems like you had a heavy hand in that. Hats off to you if you animated the Knanklesaur with the existing rig off my site. Bravo.

My 2 cents on your reel:
-show more realistic humanoid work. You have a great understanding of quadped/heavy motion, so showing the human form would really help balance it out.
-I would do a clip that doesnt end on the character confronting the camera at the end.
-The cartoony kids flip into the final landing is really soft and evenly timed. Really loses the energy potential of the action.
-To really sell the impact of the wall bash, I'd have a few smaller pieces fall and bounce on the ground on impact.
-Also, his feet feel pretty sticky before he charges
-Really minor thing, but showing your website instead of your email (or both) on your title cards, just incase your email doesnt work or if they want to see more of your work.

Hope this helps man, good luck landing a new gig, I'm sure you 'll do fine.

Later.

jfalgout
12-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Looking good man. Everything seems pretty solid. I have to agree with Kiel on showing more humanoid type work. Maybe a few acting shots too. You're good at solid heavy quads, and its the first 4 shots of your reel. Maybe throw in one of the cartoon guy shots earlier to break that up a bit.

There is one part that bothers me. For your shot of the guy getting his hand stuck, his antic before he takes off running after he frees himself feels a little off balance. It looks like you have the hips translate backwards without the body compensating for it. Lean his torso forward as the hips go back, and have one side of the hips drop as it takes the weight. That'll free up the other foot to move forward. Also, its really minor, but show his hand moving slightly as he tugs on his arm before it becomes free. A little rotation to show he's getting it free, its just not enough yet. Over all great stuff.

I'm in the same situation as you with a contract up and looking for new work. I'm about to post my WIP reel after this. Feel free to check it out. Cheers

jdonnelly
12-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Thank you both for the awesome critiques! Yeah, Kiel... I animated the Knacklasaur, really fun rig and model to work with and thanks for the compliment.
I'm gonna be making the tweaks you guys suggested first before I start adding more stuff to my reel. I've been wanting to do an acting piece with 2 characters (people this time), and then I'll work on some realistic humanoid stuff after that.
Jefalgout, I'd love to take a look at your reel when you decide to post it and good luck with the job search too.
Thanks again, guys! And have a Happy New Year!

Carm3D
01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Great stuff! I loved it when he rotated his shoulder after pulling himself out of the wall. Is there no sound?

jdonnelly
01-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks, carm3d! Yeah, no sound so I could reduce file size. Besides supervisors usually mute while watching our reels anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2009, 12:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.