PDA

View Full Version : geforce issues!

mikesnail
05-01-2002, 07:12 PM
hi, i have just bought a geforce4 4400Ti 128mb, however every so often when i run games or softimage|XSI my computer freezes adn blue screens, i think i remember one screen saying it got stuck in an infinate loop, i am running XP and decided to download the detonator drivers to see if that would help but it seems that is has not, does anyone know what it could be or how i can fix the problem.
thanks

3DMadness
05-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Hi! Maybe it's another hardware issue... could you please put all the specs of your machine like motherboard, memory, processor and all the drivers and patcher you are using.
BTW what version of detonator are you using?
Cheers!

Flávio

mikesnail
05-01-2002, 08:30 PM
ok, i am running a 1ghz amd athalon, with 640 sdram i am not so up with all this technical hardware stuff so here is a list of all the stuff u want to see, hope you can help
mike

3DMadness
05-02-2002, 02:32 AM
Your motherboard have a VIA chipset and you need the VIA 4in1 driver. Grab it at www.viaarena.com and tell us how is it going.
Cheers!

Flávio

mikesnail
05-02-2002, 09:22 AM
hi, thanks for your help, i downloaded the 4 in 1 driver thing however i just ran jedi knight 2 and it did exactly the same, i havnt really tested much yet though, but will try again later, any other ideas if that doesnt work?

efishta
05-02-2002, 09:37 AM
that's the damned 'nfinite loop problem that has plagued many people

happens both in open gl and direct 3d but mainly in Open GL

try these different settings

set AGP to 1X and see if that solves the problem.

if u have an AMD machine (don't remember from your screenshot) then apply the AMD Windows 2000/XP + AMD patch available at http://www.amd.com

disable sidebanding and fastwrites if u have either one of those enabled

switch drivers to different drivers

and most importantly uninstall the current drivers completely through the Add/Remove control panel applet because that removes all traces of the drivers... and then install an earlier driver that still works with the GeForce 4 line... you may have to try a few (above 23.12 i belive) that will work with GeForce 4 cards and these drivers are all available at http://www.guru3d.com

if any of those tips didn't help you at all then visit http://www.viaarena.com because they have an extensive article on how you can troubleshoot or even fix that problem of the infninte loop shit.

mikesnail
05-02-2002, 09:41 AM
thanks for your help, but i dont really know much about all the technical stuff, would you be able to explain how i set my AGP to 1X and explain what this means:shrug: i will download the amd patch soon too, its the same with the sidebanding and fastwrites, i have no idea what they are or where to change em!

Equinoxx
05-02-2002, 12:37 PM
in addition to efishta's solutions, you might want to verify the raid controller thing . . . I had a raidcontroller when i got my compu last year, but for some reason my system kept crashing and throwing away my registry file . . . resulted in re-installing my system for about 30 times within a 2 week period . . . what appeared to be the problem ??? my motherboard wasn't ready yet for the raidcontroller . . . windows shut down faster then it could write the registry . . .

so you might want to look into that as well ;)

go to your suplier and ask if your mobo support raid yet or if you need to flash it 1st [upgrade the mobo software]

3DMadness
05-02-2002, 07:08 PM
It seems to be an ASUS A7V133 with an onboard Promise RAID, I used to have a mobo like this. :)
I think you should reinstall Detonator drivers and remove winXP and put win 2000. This will solve lots of problems...
Also, have you got the latest drivers for your Promise controller? What about the latest bios for your mobo?
Last suggestion: take a look at www.geforcefaq.com/faq.cgi
Cheers! :beer:

Flávio

Sieb
05-02-2002, 09:47 PM
If all else fails, go to www.amdmb.com, do a search through their forum, they are board maker specific. Ive gotten tons of help there, and they usually have documents around that explain how to fix most of the major errors, like the infamous Via vs. SBLive!... You can find the agp settings in your bios, as your booting, hit Del or F2 or whatever yours is, it should say for a few seconds during POST, then you can look around in there.

mikesnail
05-03-2002, 06:48 AM
hiya, thankyou for all your help everyone, i went into my bios and dropped the AGP from 4X to 2X and so far i have had no problems what so ever.:beer: thankyou!

3DMadness
05-03-2002, 10:38 AM
BTW, do you have enough power from your powe supply? Athlon and GeForce4 are powe hunger! :)
Cheers!

Flávio

mikesnail
05-03-2002, 03:45 PM
i am not sure, how do i go about finding that out?

3DMadness
05-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Open the case and look at the power supply. It have to have a label on it with its power and specs.
Cheers!

Flávio

ALIASWAVE
05-23-2002, 06:32 AM
Ok setting 4x to 2x is a dumb idea
it might fix the crashing but you just cut the power of your video card in half.
you should look for another fix contact your video card maker.
Do more research
2x AGP is a TEMP fix!

ZrO-1
05-23-2002, 06:46 AM
If dropping the AGP bus speed down fixed the crashing then your problem is in you mobo (pro'lly the VIA chipset) I'd check to see if there's a new version of your BIOS available from your mobo manufacturer. Just be carefull when flashing the BIOS, cause if it fails during the flashing then the only way to fix it is by replacing the BIOS chip.

mikesnail
05-23-2002, 10:07 AM
i have downloaded a backbuffer file, and a viatech update, as well as the latest graphics drivers, i then put my agp settings back up to 4X, so far i have had no problems.
cheers for all your help everyone:bounce:

little
05-30-2002, 06:12 AM
i dont know why this works but it fixed 2 machines in the last week i had to help with ( i havnt been real big into hardware since the 486 was still the in thing ) but for some reason i set the dimm speed from 100 to 133 and it fixed all kinds of probles i could understand the other way ( from 133 to 100 ) but i would think that running it slower would be a good default setting

brainspoon
05-31-2002, 02:43 PM
i found that the tuning tool nvmax has a checkbox for fixing the infinity loop bug and it seems to work for me.

Neil
06-03-2002, 04:12 PM
Yes setting the agp from 4x to 2x is a stupid idea, but hey if you're computer aint runnin' then the whole damn thing is a waste. He's just another unfortunate soul like myself that bought the crappiest board Asus every pumped out.
You should just do a search from that board online and you will find hundereds of pages dedicated purely to figuring out why the board constantly crashes and locks up.

I tried every new BIOS and every driver and i decided to just leave it at 2x, and since then it's always been a champ.

mikesnail
06-03-2002, 04:17 PM
well i dont want to set my agp down to 2x cos that is just halving my graphics card potential! would it fix the prob if i bought new mother board?

Tellerve
06-08-2002, 07:54 AM
From more technical oriented sites than this I've read oftentimes that going from AGP 2x to 4x or vice versa really doesn't have the impact you all are implying. From my personal experience I can vouch that it doesn't cut your performance by half. In any case, Mikesnail has fixed his problem and has agp4x enabled so it is a moote point now.

Tellerve

mikesnail
06-08-2002, 11:42 AM
hiya, sorry to put a dampen on things again but it seems that my problem has actually returned, it had stopped crashing for a while, however just recently it has been crashing whilst watching video files, i am not sure whether this is the same problem tho or something else, cos it doesnt crash in games or 3d apps ne more, so i am guessing this is osme otehr issue that now needs to be dealt with! why cant computers just work all the time"!!!!!

eX-one
06-09-2002, 07:08 AM
If it's still the infinite loop problem, I think you'll have to wait until SP1 for XP ... either that or turn to W2K.

mikesnail
06-09-2002, 12:17 PM
i plan on changing to win2k sometime soon anyway, when i do i will tell you how it goes

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.