PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Retrospective :: Special Feature

PaulHellard
12-24-2008, 12:53 AM
And here it is, as voted by you, the community.

The CG Top 20 list is a result of public voting in that thread which was open for nearly two months, from 1st November through til the 20th December. If an item is not on the list, it wasn’t suggested by the thousands of people who viewed that thread.

So have a look and come on back. All the very best to you all from the team here at CGSociety. Hope to catch up with lots of you next year.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/2008_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4839)

ThE_JacO
12-24-2008, 02:06 AM
I'm surprised the orphan works bill and the recent attempts at dismantling some ridiculous patenting schemes aren't in there. Other than that and a couple positions I'd swap, it's probably the first retrospective I read that aligns so closely to my idea of what was relevant during the past year.

Good job on this one :)

XminusOne
12-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Thanks for this, always interesting. Like Jaco, i'd probably swap a few, but these are great!!!

Per-Anders
12-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Interesting, yes I expected orphan works to be on there too. The Maxon Cinema 4D R11 thing is slightly inaccurate BTW, the Renderman bridge is a full integration/bridge with PRMan, AIR and 3Delight (not just renderman pro server), and for anything else using Renderman there's RIB, and the interface wasn't completely changed for R11 (that happened at r10), but the Timeline/NLA/GI (and bunch of other functionality based features) etc were.

Intervain
12-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Like Jaco, i'd probably swap a few, but these are great!!!

yeah I'd definitely swap a few [ ;)] - but interesting indeed!

cresshead
12-24-2008, 02:47 PM
interesting read...i'd agree with number 1> autodesk buying softimage
i'd shove the ecconomic outlook up higher as well as blender's big buck bunny
i think the ecconomic outlook will probably be number 1 for 2009.

missing >

1.3d coat...that looks to be a fast mover and will be interestig to follow in 2009 as it takes ground from mudbox and zbrush.

2.nvidia buying mental ray

3.Bolt would score much higher than that panda thing...the return to form of Disney is a big deal imo

4.blue ray NOT taking off would also be on my list!

5.Stereoscopic films and the whole stereoscopic slant to siggraph 2008 including the 3d viewports in maya 2009

6.Autodesk owning the 3d market now with mudbox, motion builder, max, maya, c.a.t. and face robot and xsi.

circusboy
12-24-2008, 04:50 PM
2.nvidia buying mental ray

Actually this one falls between the cracks because this happened a tad more than a year ago today. aka end of *2007*. I remember because i was doing mr training with mental images folks when the deal went down.
So its last years news - but only just.

icedeyes
12-24-2008, 07:43 PM
World economy in 15? Really guys? Really?

I think its the most important thing that affected cg companies and the only one I object to in terms of importance... Other than that, its a great article...

MrPositive
12-25-2008, 04:55 AM
Stereoscopic films and the whole stereoscopic slant to siggraph 2008 including the 3d viewports in maya 2009

This is the one I definitely agree should be in there. Half of Siggraph was slanted towards this topic. As more and more people choose to stay home and watch movies on their big HD TV's without interruption (ultimately hurting the economy), a new medium will be needed to get moviegoers back out there and the CG industry is banking on stereoscopic. I can't believe that's not on there. Hell, a case could be made for it being #1.

cresshead
12-26-2008, 01:13 AM
i'd guess the next version of max [3dsmax2010] that's due around april 2009 will bring the same 3d stereoscopic tools that maya2009 has and maybe softimage cat too!

even with all the uncertainty re the start of the ressession, there's still a bunch of cool things due for 2010..ride out this storm and we'll be set for the 'upturn' in 2010-2011

Larrikin
12-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Re 15: The World Economy, I'd swap that bull pic for a bear.

cresshead
12-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Re 15: The World Economy, I'd swap that bull pic for a bear.
the bull pik is i believe merril lynch logo...one of the huge finacial companies that fell.

Ammarkk
12-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Yah, ((:surprisedAutodesk buying softimage:surprised )) was a big shocking to me.Really this was bomb of the year.

w1as
12-29-2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7UWImpG54

toontje
12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
BBB/ Blender at 12! The community recognizes that Blender has potential and/ or is capable.

Apoclypse
12-29-2008, 08:38 PM
BBB/ Blender at 12! The community recognizes that Blender has potential and/ or is capable.

Well wait until next year when 2.5 (and friends, the way the blender devs develop we may have at least six version out next year) comes out. I'm sure Blender will be back on the list and all the goodies t has in store for us will surely garner the project some much due praise. The volumetrics alone are one to watch.

I was glad to see MGS4 made it. i haven't sat down and played the whole game yet, but technically the game was a major achievement as it looks damn good.

toontje
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM
You're preaching to the choir :p

CodeVeroby
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I really don't get what the hype is all about with XSI, I REALLY didn't like the program ...

circusboy
01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
I really don't get what the hype is all about with XSI, I REALLY didn't like the program ...
Thats your opinion. Many people do.
Love it or hate it. Name one 3d software that introduced a bigger set of features (essentially a next gen core and workflow was introduced) than v7 for XSI in 2008?!

Not to mention Autodesk turns around and buys Softimage soon after.
All that deserves a lot of hype for 2008 methinks. No 3d software deserves it more.

che-che
01-14-2009, 08:19 PM
i dont understand why wall-e is such on near the top of the list. am i the only one, who didnt find the movie all that interesting. and the renders to be sub par for being pixar.

maybe i am., plus i am pretty tough critic. i saw kung fu panda and loved the stylization and the mix of animation styles they had going for this. and it was a really fun movie.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2009, 08:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.