PDA

View Full Version : Texture Exporting Issue within ZBrush

Mrpearlzildjian
12-24-2008, 12:02 AM
This is the first time I've ever run into this particular problem within ZBrush, so I was just wondering if anyone else had any idea what is happening. Below are before and after pictures of me using the "color>texture" function within Zbrush. I created a new 2k texture for it, and used the function, only to get a blocky texture, only on the pink part it seems. The white comes out fine, but the pink(the gums, as they are teeth), is all sketched out. I'm not sure if this is just a rare glitch or what, but I've tried several different things already to no avail. Just seeing if anyone has an answer before I go in and traditionally paint this in the maps in Photoshop. Thanks in advance!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/Mrpearlzildjian/TeethBeforeTexture.jpghttp://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/Mrpearlzildjian/TeethAfterTexturecopy.jpg

Nea381
01-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Usually that problem is caused by not having enough subdivisions in the correct spot. Think of it like this, when you convert polypaint over to texture. The SubDivision level of the mesh is like the resolution, so if there is only 1 poly it only has that 1 poly to spread across, try subdividing more or adding a few more edge loops around the teeth, and if the model isnt for a game or anything you may try upping your texture res but usually this problem is caused by not enough geometry for the poly paint to press its colors upon.

Hope that helps.

-Nathan

nmcelmury
01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Be sure to also check that your texture you're creating is big enough, before you do colors>texture, make a new texture and make it huge (like 4096x4096 or something) and see if the pixelation still happens.

Mrpearlzildjian
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
That was my next guess Nea. It was a piece of Geo I exported from Maya with about 4-5 spans(I can't remember) with the polys split on the top and bottom edges to prevent over-subdividing of course, but the only thing I can think of is maybe I didn't have enough edge loops in the U direction of the geo and maybe that wasn't translating across well in ZBrush. I'll keep that in mind for future exports.

@nmcelmury

Yea I tried that as one of my options. I think I exported it to a 3072x3072 and while the pixelation got less and less, it never transferred across to a UV texture from Polypaint perfectly.

Thanks for all the help, it took so long to get a response on this!!

Mrpearlzildjian
01-05-2009, 11:05 PM
That makes a lot of sense though. I will check out the Gnomon DVD's. I wish I could afford them all cuz they are great learning tools. I have a couple DT DVD's but I've noticed they skip a lot of important steps which I've had to figure out for myself. But yea, thanks a lot!

Nea381
01-06-2009, 12:56 AM
One thing to remember is that polypainting and color texturing is based on the canvas size. So while you may have exported a map of 3072, if you were in a 640 canvas its a 640 map. One trick described on the texturing for production gnomon BTS dvd's is to create an extra high res map. For example what I normally do is make an 8k .psd Then go into zbrush disable uv's make the canvas large paint away. Get what you like, re import the model at base level to reapply the UV's use a morph target if you saved one (Not really significant to color though) Then you load the blank white 8k psd as your texture and click col>tex or w/e button it is. Usually that does a pretty good job, then you can down res it to 4k or 3k in photoshop. Also you have to do it this way because by default Zbrush doesnt let u go past 4k.. I think thats still true anyways. But yeah. Do that, flip vertical and render in maya. What most people do is use it as a starter. Now they have all the base colors. So go in and add really highres images for frequency detail with blending modes in photoshop. Clean up your seams in Bodypaint because bodypaints clone stamp tool is shaweet. And you will have a really nice texture. I recommend watching Making of Jester the texturing and zbrush sections done by Alex Alvarez from Gnomon. Or the Behind the Scenes texturing for production. Both are very thorough and explanatory of the texture pipeline from zbrush to maya. However most of the strange blur problems you were having are due to the poly per density of edge loops being uneven. you want to try and have your subdivisions appear mostly to be square and change in size gradually . Think of an Egyptian pyramid Large edge loop on bottom to tiny and closer at the top. Sure its denser at the top but if everything is nicely spaced and there is a smooth conversion, it will subdivide nicely in zbrush. What you don't want are giant black lines where you have way to many edge loops and large open areas where you don't have enough. Sounds like that may be the issue with the teeth.

ps. Keep everything as a .psd until your out of zbrush, you will maintain the most quality this way. Cept for 32 bit displacement maps from MD3..those have to be floating point TIFFS

Anywho hope that helps!

-Nathan

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2009, 12:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.