PDA

View Full Version : Why is lightwave also popular at this forum ?

Wong
06-22-2003, 09:52 AM
I would like to know why here at cgtalk, people are so in love with this software. Majority of the cgtalkers (80%) of the whole forum are lightwavers... does this mean that its the best 3D program ? or a way to advertize people to use it ?

Hello im Alzid Wong, im a 3D studio user, im animator at Duckfed here in Sweden. and ive never eard of this 3D program before, Since today after signing this forum.

-Al/W-

kukukiki74
06-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Hey, Wong...

It is time to widen your horizon. Welcome to the real 3D world. I am kinda shocked that you never heard of Lightwave...:eek:

But we won't kill you!:cool:

Yeah... we are all trying to convert you from 3ds max to lightwave!!!!! heheheheheh....:thumbsup:

robin
06-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Please spare his life, he didnt mean to sin

Wong
06-22-2003, 10:14 AM
well that was not nice kukukiki74, ive been using 3D max for 6years by now and i need to know if "this program" is the best 3D ever "better then 3D studio max ?.

Is it recommended for a large industry?

W

robin
06-22-2003, 10:15 AM
He's doing it again, we warned you !

Shade01
06-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Hey Wong let me answer your question:

Lightwave has dominated the 3D market for 15 years now. Not only that, Lightwave comes installed standard on 3 out of 4 computers in the U.S. We now have Lightwave enabled kiosks on our street corners, and Lightwave automated computer setups that automatically model, texture and animate for us. You probably haven't heard about Lightwave because they have only begun to penetrate the Sweden market.

3 out 4 films and games are created with Lightwave. All other programs are merely derivitive's of the original Lightwave. Here in the U.S., 3DSMax has been discontinued because the small parts pose a risk to children. All copies of Maya have been recalled because of a loose rendering node that could fly off at high speeds. So uninstall 3DS Max right now, and get yourself a copy of Lightwave and fall in line with the rest of the world :p

LNT
06-22-2003, 10:33 AM
LOL @ Shade01

HowardM
06-22-2003, 10:33 AM
LOL!
:bounce: :scream:

wgreenlee1
06-22-2003, 11:33 AM
There so many posts here due to the spammers.:p

leigh
06-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Wong
I would like to know why here at cgtalk, people are so in love with this software. Majority of the cgtalkers (80%) of the whole forum are lightwavers...

Actually, the vast majority of our members here on CG Talk are Max users like yourself.

Nemoid
06-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Wong
I would like to know why here at cgtalk, people are so in love with this software. Majority of the cgtalkers (80%) of the whole forum are lightwavers... does this mean that its the best 3D program ? or a way to advertize people to use it ?

Hello im Alzid Wong, im a 3D studio user, im animator at Duckfed here in Sweden. and ive never eard of this 3D program before, Since today after signing this forum.

-Al/W-

Its strange that a 3D animator as you are didn't ever heard of Lightwave the great. i know personally the name of the majority of all the apps u see all around the world, even if i don't use them!!!
they appear in magazines, websites like Cg-cough-Channell and CGTalk, and many others!!

however , Lw is a great app, and if i was you i would try it!!maybe one day i will make up my mind and try 3DstudioMax

P.S. the best 3D program will never exist. every app has its strenghts and weakness, so use what you are confortable with.

yog
06-22-2003, 02:55 PM
To be fair to Wong, Lightwave hasn't had an awful lot of press over here in some parts of Europe until the last couple years. The big boom in LW advertising came with the release of the 3D World magazine, prior to that very few 3D artists here in the UK had ever heard about it either.

Wong - There is no "best ever" software out there. All have stregnths and weeknesses. Lightwave's stregnth is mainly in modelling, especially Sub Division Surface modelling, it used to have one of the best ray tracing engines in the buisiness (hence it's major use in US television programs), but reciently third party rendering engines for other programs have caught it up, and in some cases overtaken it.

Lightwave is a great alround program, although you shouldn't draw any influence over the number of posts here, we just like to talk alot :thumbsup:

Cgtalk
06-22-2003, 03:43 PM
hi

here in arab country they all use 3d studio max and maya and i donna know why ???
but for me i like lightwave soo much and it's a gr8 program.

and a little of people heard about lightwave .

so u should try lightwave and u will c the diffirence between it and the other programs

c ya

Chewey
06-22-2003, 04:51 PM
What all of this has to do with the use of Lightwave is really beyond me....

:scream:

Stone
06-22-2003, 06:43 PM
i never understood how some 3d graphicans can go around and never have heard of one of the programs which really sat some standards in the world of 3d.

i actually feel sorry for those who heard that 3d max or maya is the main 3d application, and just jumps into it thinking that must mean its also the best there is - undoubtly anyone is better of with trying out the different alternatives instead of just 'using what the others are'.

to me lightwave is special, it really stands out as being inovative and intuitive, and i feel sorry for those who have to fight with max's userhostile interface.

lightwave is undoubtly different from the rest - so usally one either hates or loves it. maybe thats why lightwave users can seem somewhat more passionate about their application - because it really is special.

/stone

ToiletDuck
06-22-2003, 07:18 PM
I use it because of leigh, just like everyone else.
Duck

BlueCougar
06-22-2003, 07:51 PM
Yeah, because of Leigh.....and it keeps the monkeys away too!

wgreenlee1
06-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
What all of this has to do with the use of Lightwave is really beyond me....

:scream:

Wow Chewy I would think you would be capable of your own thoughts?

I guess personalised attacks are more befitting.

Chewey
06-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
Wow Chewy I would think you would be capable of your own thoughts?

I guess personalised attacks are more befitting.

:rolleyes:
Only here would quoting someone be considered a "personalised attacks".

Is that CIMian logic?

:applause:

takkun
06-22-2003, 10:32 PM
LOL, this thread is too funny! Leigh, I love your new avatar, very sexy and mysterious!:drool:

iBlue
06-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Shade01

Lightwave has dominated the 3D market for 15 years now. Not only that, Lightwave comes installed standard on 3 out of 4 computers in the U.S. We now have Lightwave enabled kiosks on our street corners, and Lightwave automated computer setups that automatically model, texture and animate for us. You probably haven't heard about Lightwave because they have only begun to penetrate the Sweden market.

3 out 4 films and games are created with Lightwave. All other programs are merely derivitive's of the original Lightwave. Here in the U.S., 3DSMax has been discontinued because the small parts pose a risk to children. All copies of Maya have been recalled because of a loose rendering node that could fly off at high speeds. So uninstall 3DS Max right now, and get yourself a copy of Lightwave and fall in line with the rest of the world :p

OMG! FUNNIEST REPLY EVER!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA :bounce: :bounce:

NanoGator
06-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Shade01

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/boss.gif

rock
06-23-2003, 02:21 AM
Stay with 3dStudio MAX if you use studio MAX. Stay with Cinema 4D if you use Cinema 4D. Stay with XSI if use XSI. And stay with Maya if you are using Maya. Move only if you must and if you can.

Lightwave is not the best, but it's the most popular. :thumbsup:

leigh
06-23-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by rock
Lightwave is not the best, but it's the most popular.

:surprised

milqman
06-23-2003, 06:02 AM
i hate when people change avatars.
i begin to know people by their avatar.
especially those who change their avatar every 2 days an such.

ToiletDuck
06-23-2003, 06:04 AM
Yea I need one. But first I have to design it. And designing a duck, and not just any duck, but a duck that goes with the name of ToiletDuck seems like a lot of work that I can't do yet lol.

milqman
06-23-2003, 06:06 AM
the relationship between a TV and a milkman escapes me.

fig
06-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by rock
Stay with 3dStudio MAX if you use studio MAX. Stay with Cinema 4D if you use Cinema 4D. Stay with XSI if use XSI. And stay with Maya if you are using Maya. Move only if you must and if you can.

actually, i'd lean much towards saying "learn another package when you can so as to be more diverse and marketable." but that's just me :)

chris

Tudor
06-23-2003, 10:00 AM
Yep! You learn more that way. Since I started using Maya I got maybe twice as good at LW, just because I found new ways of doing stuff.
But when starting out, it is good to stay with one package so not to confuse yourself. Get confident enough in one package so that you can be artistic and not just technical, then learn more programs.

Originally posted by fig
actually, i'd lean much towards saying "learn another package when you can so as to be more diverse and marketable." but that's just me :)

chris

BiTMAP
06-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Lightwave is most popular in THIS forum becuase Its the Lightwave3d forum! :D lol and well I have used it along with most other threedee softwares, if you can get past the controls block that i expirience every time i open it you can do amazing things with it!

like every other package it has features you can like. Such as in Lightwave you can create curves and such and more easily create a surface from it (i don't know about the other softwares besides rhino that do this, and rhino is freaken messy!) and In XSI i can use the render region and the mouse comes alive, and in maya, well... i don't like maya cause its slow but it has a 'neet" menu, NWN uses that style too. 3dmax well it has Brazil, and... uhm... well Brazil is enough!?

ChrisBasken
06-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by fig

chris

I agree, but I think he was basically saying: don't look to a new app to give you creativity you don't already have. It's not the tool, it's the tool-user.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.