PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade my system need advice.

Mangled Poly
06-22-2003, 06:34 AM
Currently I am running a pretty old system and im thinking of upgrading some stuff to improve it:

Currently:
1.2 ghz AMD T-Bird
1gig pc 133 ram
Asus A7v133

the video card sound card and all that stuff is pretty up to date so mainly i need to replace these things...... My budget is pretty tight (around 1k)

so heres what i was looking at:
800fsp p4 3.0ghz
asus P4P800 Deluxe
512 mushkin 3200 400mhz dual bus ram (will add more as money is available)
also looking at getting this case:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3536634

I was wondering if this will be a good way to spend my money and will the performances be extremely noticable?

also i have a gforce 4ti 4600 in ways of a video card

Psyhke
06-22-2003, 07:27 AM
The biggest difference (and this might be obvious, sorry) will be the rendering. Your renders will quite literally be 2.5 times faster with a 3Ghz. And that is very cool.

Working in openGL is not going to change much, I believe. Except for subpatching speed.

However, I believe IK rigs, etc. are at least as processor dependent as they are video card dependent.

And... finally, what I really wanted to say in responding to your post, is have you considered going the route of getting a dual processor setup? Up untill the 3.06 Ghz Intels came out, only the Xeon side of the P4 line was capable of running dual processers. I would double check to see if that has changed for the regular P4 3.06. At any rate, you could probably squeeze out a Xeon dual motherboard and a Xeon 2.8 or 3.06 and 512MB of memory for around 1K.

That way, down the road, you can just pop for another processor and your render times will be cut in half yet again. And if you wait long enough, you may one day be able to get that 3Ghz processor for around $200, like the 2Ghz Xeon is now.

Mangled Poly
06-22-2003, 07:39 AM
first of all that processor im looking at does suport hyper threading...

Second yes i thought goign the dual route, however reading one of policarpos threads on lighting and render times, i looked at the users render times, and the guy with the old p4 3.06 (not the 800bus version) was only a matter of seconds slower then facials dual xeon 2.66 setup. so it got me thinking if dual was the best route to go for a couple extra seconds?

plus since i can run hyperthreading on the cpu im looking at?

Psyhke
06-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Hmm, well I didn't happen to see the thread with the comparison you mention. But, in my personal experience, as well as looking at the rendertimes at www.blanos.com/benchmark (http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/) it seems to be much closer to a 1:1 relationship. You might want to check it out a little more to see if you can get a clearer picture about that, though.

Hyperthreading isn't the same as multi-processing. They introduced Hyperthreading into the P4 3.06 (which only the Xeons had before), but I'm not sure that means you can hook up two processors at once.

From what I've read (and experienced) is that hyperthreading will only give you a nominal performance boost for most things. Like in the neighborhood of 5%, if you're lucky.

BTW, all this is just to the best of my current understanding. I'm certainly no expert on any of it.

* EDIT: I forgot to mention, that I'm basing much of my understanding of the dual processor perfomance issue on the fact that I have upgraded from a 700Mhz PIII to a dual Xeon 2.8Ghz (w/Multithreading enabled), and my render times are consistently at least 8 times faster! It's great. So in my mind 700Mhz X 8 = 5600 Mhz, which is what the 2.8 Ghz would stack up to. So you can take that for whatever it's worth.:shrug:

Srek
06-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Hi,
i just installed a 2.8 GHz HT P4 with the P4P800 deluxe and this machine is realy smoking :)
I tried it with the Quadro FX 1000 and it scored as high as an old 3 GHz machine with a Fire GL X1 (using CINEBENCH 2003 for a direct comparison, LW performance shouldn't vary too much).
Renderspeed was impressiv and the system stayed pretty cool during those tests (much cooler then my own Athlon 1100). Using Dual RAM is a must since it increases Memory speed pretty much.
I can highly recommend this, it will give you a lot of bang for the buck.

Wish it was my machine ;)

Cheers
Srek

Limbus
06-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mangled Poly

so heres what i was looking at:
800fsp p4 3.0ghz
asus P4P800 Deluxe
512 mushkin 3200 400mhz dual bus ram (will add more as money is available)
also looking at getting this case:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3536634

I was wondering if this will be a good way to spend my money and will the performances be extremely noticable?

This system will be way faster than your old setup. But I would advise you to get 2x 512MB Ram right away. Im not even sure if the Mobo will run with just one Ram but it will only have half the memory bandwith and 512MB Ram is way to little for serious 3D work.
I also think that Mushkin Rams are to expensive for the extra performance they are supposed to offer. Get good quality Ram from Infineon, Crucial or Samsung instead. Since Mushkin isnt producing themself, they are just relabeling other brands.

I would also look for a sileced case. Its hard to concentrate on your work if all the fans sound like a dryblower. Those aluminium cases look cool but they are supposed to be very noisy.

Florian

Mangled Poly
06-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Limbus
This system will be way faster than your old setup. But I would advise you to get 2x 512MB Ram right away. Im not even sure if the Mobo will run with just one Ram but it will only have half the memory bandwith and 512MB Ram is way to little for serious 3D work.
I also think that Mushkin Rams are to expensive for the extra performance they are supposed to offer. Get good quality Ram from Infineon, Crucial or Samsung instead. Since Mushkin isnt producing themself, they are just relabeling other brands.

I would also look for a sileced case. Its hard to concentrate on your work if all the fans sound like a dryblower. Those aluminium cases look cool but they are supposed to be very noisy.

Florian

Limbus thanks for your advice...
The 512 stick is only a temp solution, i may even find a way to get the extra 100 dollars to get a 1 gig stick...
As far as the mushkin it was only 10 dollars more then the latter making it not to big of a deal at all.. and since mushkins support is awesome and the stick comes with lifetime warrenty im willing to spend the extra 10 dollars

And about the aluminum case thanks for the heads up i havent really heard any difference between the two, in most cases i find people buy cheaper fans and thats where 90% of the noise comes from... I could be wrong though ?

Limbus
06-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Mangled Poly
Limbus thanks for your advice...
The 512 stick is only a temp solution, i may even find a way to get the extra 100 dollars to get a 1 gig stick...

since you are getting a dual channel ram board you should get 2 ram sticks to take advantage of the high memory bandwith which requires at least 2 ram sticks.

If you plan to upgrade to alot of ram I would take a alook at the Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 i875P. It has 6 ram slots.

And about the aluminum case thanks for the heads up i havent really heard any difference between the two, in most cases i find people buy cheaper fans and thats where 90% of the noise comes from... I could be wrong though ?

Cheap fans can produce a lot of noise. I have some ultra silent fans in my case and the extra silenced case does still make a big difference in noise level. A silenced psu and spu fan do help too.

Florian

Mangled Poly
06-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Limbus
since you are getting a dual channel ram board you should get 2 ram sticks to take advantage of the high memory bandwith which requires at least 2 ram sticks.

If you plan to upgrade to alot of ram I would take a alook at the Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 i875P. It has 6 ram slots.

Cheap fans can produce a lot of noise. I have some ultra silent fans in my case and the extra silenced case does still make a big difference in noise level. A silenced psu and spu fan do help too.

Florian

Thanks limbus for all your help... i got the system and i must say it kicks ass, 3-4x the rendering speeed thanks for the tip on the 2 sticks i did that aswell!

I ended up gettig the case for a test run and i must say its almost completely quite... and stays pretty cool too! i may get another fan to put in it just incase... but as it is 3 are on the case as is...

:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.