PDA

View Full Version : Rough weekend for Tales of Despereaux... only 10M

CaptCook
12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Rough weekend for Tales of Despereaux. Boxofficemojo puts it at only 10M for the weekend. It will need one hell of a Christmas to make any decent money. RT has it at 52%.

BoxOfficeMojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=taleofdespereaux.htm)
RT (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tale_of_despereaux/)

CC

ThE_JacO
12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
if you post in news please link the source of the news.

CaptCook
12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Sorry :) Done.

CC

TorbjornO
12-21-2008, 11:56 PM
What a shame, it looks beautiful. I can see a lot of people not going on the weekend before christmas, so maybe there'll be a surge just after christmas. I think that's usually the trend this time of year.

ctguitars
12-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Guys,

Went to it today ...

Lush in colours and scenes, nice texturing work - I could see it apealing in that way to those at CGTALK and into 3D - technically. BUT for the average cinema going Kid / Adult - I do not think it was a great film. Both myself and my wife said a Homer Simpson word to each other after the film that summed things up - "Meh!"

Story - in my opinion - not great, flogged to death in other movies, no huge laughs, generally bland! I love 3D CGI movies generally - this one I have to say will just fade. I can understand why the box office is so ..

Cheers
Aidan

kraal
12-22-2008, 02:41 AM
my step kids went to see it with thier grandmother, and had nothing at all to say about it when they came home

fuss
12-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Well, then, maybe this movie ain't for kids!

From the trailer it looks like an old Renaissance painting, and from what I've read about it so far, the story seems to be less run-of-the-mill. I intend to watch it!

ctguitars
12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Well, then, maybe this movie ain't for kids!

From the trailer it looks like an old Renaissance painting, and from what I've read about it so far, the story seems to be less run-of-the-mill. I intend to watch it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Despereaux

"The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread is a children's fantasy book written by Kate DiCamillo. It won the Newbery Medal in 2004."

aidan

ctguitars
12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
hi.

"Yet for all their good intentions, this bedtime story can very easily make you yawn. Its good qualities wind up feeling like a snuggly blanket and a warm glass of milk, lulling the viewer into a sense of security and some truly pleasant dreams. And while this may be a good thing for kids when its time to put them in their jammies and hustle them to their rooms [we'll revisit this when the DVD is released], they’re going to get pretty restless stuck in their theater seats while Mom and Dad are snoring over the popcorn. The movie wakes up briefly when Despereaux and Boldo must run to the rescue of all involved, and even then these climatic thrills never deliver on the film's potential.

So ask yourself again, what does go into the making of a good bedtime story? Even though The Tale of Despereaux tries its hardest join the pantheon of the great ones, it just falls short. While it certainly won't induce nightmares, in the end it may wind up getting you into a pleasant dream state a little bit faster than intended. "

http://www.newsarama.com/film/081219-tales-despereaux-review.html

This I concur with.

As FUSS says "From the trailer it looks like an old Renaissance painting" - yes it is, so I repeat "Lush in colours and scenes, nice texturing work - I could see it apealing in that way to those at CGTALK and into 3D - technically." - but for everyone else - near zzzzzzzz!

aidan

cresshead
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
from what i've seen in the trailer i wouldn't seek it out at the cinema, and would only think about it as a dvd if it were on discount or eventually made it's way down to £5.99 pricepoint..."looks" are one thing but the main character doesn't appeal to me much, same with where the story looks to be going...sorta feels too typical and just abit too soft..
of course i'm not a 6 yr old!...but i do buy other 'children's dvd's' such as pixar, shrek and will be getting 'fly me to the moon' dvd in jan on dvd as the story is intersting to my mind.

Geta-Ve
12-22-2008, 01:28 PM
from what i've seen in the trailer i wouldn't seek it out at the cinema, and would only think about it as a dvd if it were on discount or eventually made it's way down to £5.99 pricepoint..."looks" are one thing but the main character doesn't appeal to me much, same with where the story looks to be going...sorta feels too typical and just abit too soft..
of course i'm not a 6 yr old!...but i do buy other 'children's dvd's' such as pixar, shrek and will be getting 'fly me to the moon' dvd in jan on dvd as the story is intersting to my mind.

Granted you are allowed your likes and dislikes, but how can you say it looks too soft and then say that you buy "pixar" (I didn't know that was a movie) and shrek movies..?
:shrug:

I won't be going to the theaters sadly, simply because theaters cost too much these days, but I will be buying it on BluRay.

cresshead
12-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Granted you are allowed your likes and dislikes, but how can you say it looks too soft and then say that you buy "pixar" (I didn't know that was a movie) and shrek movies..?
:shrug:

I won't be going to the theaters sadly, simply because theaters cost too much these days, but I will be buying it on BluRay.

i said pixar rather than list their films as all except 1 film were great films [cars did not make my list btw]

soft> is in my opinion..lacking an 'edge'...just looks yawn inducing.
i'll wait till the dvd arrives then see what amazon buyers think of it to get a more balanced opinion on it.

Stormy151
12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Wow. I didn't think this was going to do very well, unfortunately. It looks beautiful and has this really cool sort of "fairy tale" look that is really well done, but I don't think today's kid audiences are looking for that sort of thing... :(

vlad74
12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I think Cresshead is right. The main character doesn't look quite right, somehow unpleasant. With these huge ears.

Ilive
12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
I think it was rough all together especially with alot of good/descent movies at the theatre.

Yes Man
7 Pounds
Desperaux
The Day Earth STood Still
4 Christmases
Twilight
Quantum Solace
Austrailia

worse yet you have
Valkyrie
Marley and Me
The Spirit
Bedtime Stories coming out in a few days

These are all those "meh" movies that folks do want to see but are in no rush to seem them, especially in the bad weather up North, the impending rush to Christmas. I think most of the movies are balanced out all the way across and distributed almost evenly.

The crazy thing is that even by the power of "WILL SMITH" and return of "Jim Carrey" was not enough to really bring people out. I'm really seeing the death of the power of the movie star.

I'm sure Christmas day and in the next few days these numbers will go up though.

CaptCook
12-22-2008, 05:17 PM
I think it was rough all together especially with alot of good/descent movies at the theatre.

You are joking right? The selection of movies right now is mediocre at best. Yes Man, 7 Pounds, Four Xmasses, Twillight, TDTESS, etc. all have horrible RT scores. Very sad Xmas for the box office. Which explains the 40% drop in tix sales compared to last year.

Bolt and Madagascar 2 were the only "big" movies I enjoyed. Looking forward the Button Benjamin movie.

CC

Geta-Ve
12-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I think Cresshead is right. The main character doesn't look quite right, somehow unpleasant. With these huge ears.

I take it you didn't like Dumbo either? :P

cresshead
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
generally it's tougher to get people into cinema's thesedays...with HD screens at home, surround sound, blueray drives, download HD video content, youtube, Wii/xbox360 you gonna need a cool film to drag a whole family out in their car and pay a stack of cash in these credit crunched times along with over priced food in the cinema...

the trailer is made to get them SO interested that they make a weekend spend just for this...pixar and dreamworks have the ability to get people to that...but i bet even they struggle thesedays to match the numbers [people seeing it]from incredibles/toy story2 etc.

that's why we're seeing 3D [stereoscopic projections] emerge again in an attempt to give something "different" to a "big screen" seeing as many people have a big screen alredy at home.

this film will do much better on dvd sales

Venkman
12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
generally it's tougher to get people into cinema's thesedays...with HD screens at home, surround sound, blueray drives, download HD video content, youtube, Wii/xbox360 you gonna need a cool film to drag a whole family out in their car and pay a stack of cash in these credit crunched times along with over priced food in the cinema...

This is a great point. With home theater getting better, why go to a theater where it's uncomfortable and people don't know how to behave? I haven't gone to the theater in a long time- few movies will get me in the theater in my neighborhood. it's full of parents who answer cell phones during the movie, and other people who don't go to watch a film, but to catch up on gossip.

lebada
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
CG people dont write scripts so a movie being bad doesnt necessarily reflect on artwork.

as for this movie...like most said..i havent seen it and probably wont but its because of the script being nothing special..which begs the question as to why was this approved the go ahead for a movie in the first place if it wasnt a strong storyline.

Also...almost no marketing done. All ive seen was a subway poster and i literally thought it was for a kids book coming out or something.

SheepFactory
12-22-2008, 06:59 PM

That is exactly it. I have friends over every week for movie nights (blu ray + hd projector = bliss) and everybody agrees that it beats the hell out of going to the theatre and waiting in line for good seats and spending a fortune on pop corn and drinks.

oceanmovieclip
12-22-2008, 07:16 PM
This is a great point. With home theater getting better, why go to a theater where it's uncomfortable and people don't know how to behave? I haven't gone to the theater in a long time- few movies will get me in the theater in my neighborhood. it's full of parents who answer cell phones during the movie, and other people who don't go to watch a film, but to catch up on gossip.

People do piss around in the cinema.

Ilive
12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
You are joking right? The selection of movies right now is mediocre at best. Yes Man, 7 Pounds, Four Xmasses, Twillight, TDTESS, etc. all have horrible RT scores. Very sad Xmas for the box office. Which explains the 40% drop in tix sales compared to last year.

Bolt and Madagascar 2 were the only "big" movies I enjoyed. Looking forward the Button Benjamin movie.

That is why I said good/descent middle of the road basically. Ones that you can go see if your group of friends are really bored or ones that are good rentals later.

They are middle of the road. There is no real heavy hitter this week. Hence they all shared simliar box offices while old favorites like teen hit Twilight made some money still.

angel
12-23-2008, 03:05 AM
My wife and I thought it was a nice fairy tale film but too long, seemed to drag. Our kids wanted to go home, specially my 5 yr old son. My daughter put up with it cause she thought the mouse was cute.

MrPositive
12-23-2008, 11:43 PM
which begs the question as to why was this approved the go ahead for a movie in the first place if it wasnt a strong storyline.

You mean the same story that won the Newberry Medal in 2004, as the International Children's Novel of the Year???

blenderhead
12-26-2008, 03:09 PM

the trailer is made to get them SO interested that they make a weekend spend just for this...pixar and dreamworks have the ability to get people to that...but i bet even they struggle thesedays to match the numbers [people seeing it]from incredibles/toy story2 etc.

that's why we're seeing 3D [stereoscopic projections] emerge again in an attempt to give something "different" to a "big screen" seeing as many people have a big screen alredy at home.

this film will do much better on dvd sales

lol you are attributing a bad christmas to several largely irrelevant factors (the cinema is popular as ever, and most will not wait months to see a film when they could see it now) instead of the reality; Desperaux is dull, and there are few decent offerings this Christmas in general. It's not the end of cinema as we know it.

lebada
12-27-2008, 06:02 PM
You mean the same story that won the Newberry Medal in 2004, as the International Children's Novel of the Year???

then whoever did the story to script "translation" effed up. Kids are obviously bored with it.

Pixanaut
12-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Ya, it seems that the holiday season offered too many options this year and all the returns are being spread pretty thin.

I think another big problem was the marketing for some of them this time around.

- Seven Pounds is a fantastic film that due to it's storyline makes it a really tough one to do marketing for (I saw the trailer numerous times and still didn't know what the heck it was about). I did see it however, and found it to be quite a powerful film.

- The Day The Earth Stood Still, I've seen it twice in the theatre (second time happened to be free). And I'm still not sure it's a great film. I'm a Reeves fan, and a big Connelly fan. John Hamm makes an appearance, and it's good to see him work beyond the extremely watchable MadMen. Ultimately, the film feels a bit flat to me. And the concept rung on the same level as 'The Happening' for me... just 'meh'. I don't even think the VFX were outstanding. All of the helicopters were poorly done (and in one scene a military transport helicopter lands 20 feet away from people walking, and they don't flinch, and the leaves on the ground don't move... that heli has dual 40ft rotors!). Even the money shots weren't quite there.

- Twilight has a huge following (the novels). I saw it out of curiosity, since I had never heard of the book series. While the movie wasn't anything super special, it was very good at what it was meant to do - take 12 year old girl's allowances. Another reason I wanted to see it was because of Catherine Hardwicke, production designer on one of my favorite movies (Three Kings).

- QoS... anything Bond will make money.

- I'm disappointed I haven't had the opportunity to see Australia yet, and unfortunately, I think that's what the general consensus is on that one. Many people want to, but they're getting diverted by other films while standing in line for tickets.

- I tried seeing Valkyrie, but due to nasty weather, the theatre didn't recieve their print of it! (hence me seeing TDTESS for a second time, on the house)... in the end though, I have a feeling this should have been made for a third of it's budget with no-name actors and would have been more effective. I can't say for sure, because I have yet to see it.

<Edit> I went to Valkyrie tonight and found it pretty watchable. It was a bit slow in parts, and I think my initial feeling still stands... this could have been done on a much smaller budget with lesser known actors and had the same if not more emotive effect. </edit>

- Marley and Me was watchable for the first 3/4... the last quarter was painful. I'm not a dog person at all, so for me, I would never have be in the situations that they got into. I couldn't relate. That doesn't make it a bad movie... but objectively, I didn't think it warranted the returns it's gotten.

- The Spirit was terrible. Sorry Frank.

- Bedtime stories looks like another Jumanji type movie... as does InkHeart... though it looks a bit more jeuvenile than InkHeart, I think it'll have the bigger take between the two.

I haven't seen Yes Man, Despereaux, or Four Christmases... and to be honest, they're really not on my radar.

I will say that Gran Torino is probably one of the best movies I've seen in years. Seven Pounds is a close second. Oscar should definitely point to Eastwood, as well as Smith and Rosario Dawson who was fantastic in SP.

JMHO's

Boone
01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I didnt even know this movie exsisted. Maybe the studio should have done a bit of advertising, no?:rolleyes:

I go to the cinema quite often now, and the crowds I sit with are quite well behaved. I think the most disruptive movies I been to see are the Harry Potter movies(always a kid informing the rest of the audience of when Harry is on screen), Electra( Teenagers getting excited over two ladies "kissing" and climbing over me) and...The Fifth Element(had to verbally warn a little shit that if he threw any more popcorn at me I was going to "seriously aquaint his backside with my boot"). Oh, and the Empire Strikes back Special edition(some perv tried to grope me).

Price wise, a film at the flicks costs me about either £5.50 or £7.50 - depending on the time of the screening...if it went higher than that I wouldnt bother.

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.