PDA

View Full Version : adding bones once animation is done

thiaml
06-21-2003, 10:35 PM
is there a way to add more bones to a creature once i have animated it. basically, i'd rigged the object in modeller, setup the iks but after finished animating it, i found i didn't allow enough bones, therefore you get a facetting deformation. can this be fix in layout without a commercial plugin or do i have to re-rig the character again?

Soeren Nielsen
06-22-2003, 01:57 AM
well it depends.. do you want to put the bone in between a chain if thats the case you will be in trouble.. if not you should be able to just add a bone, just remember to it on frame 0. Might be a bit finicky tho

SplineGod
06-22-2003, 07:45 AM
You can add bones at anytime. I do it all the time.
How well it works for you depends on your particular rig.
I typically dont set up IK or controls until Ive tested deformations first. When Im pretty satisfied its deforming well then I add the IK.
If you dont use or want to use a plugin to help I would suggest rigging so that you separate the hold bones from the rotational bones. The rotational bones are the ones that would receive the IK and you can add hold bones at anytime you wish. This isnt the typical way you see rigging done or explained in any books or tutorials Ive seen but which I do cover in my course. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.