PDA

View Full Version : Question about a character model I downloaded

rapidarp
06-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Last night, using Kazaa, I downloaded a pack of tutorials for LightWave 3d. It had a model for one of the worker bugs from the movie Starship Troopers. I exported it from lightwave to Maya so I can use it, seeing as how I can't stand lightwave.

Anyway, when i click on the model, in maya, it selects the entire thing. I only want to be able to select certain parts. I tried to "ungroup" the model but nothing worked. Is there any other way I could break the model into parts so I can work with like the legs indivdually, the arms individually, etc? Thanks.

RapidArp

loked
06-22-2003, 10:12 PM
If it's a poly object, which Im assuming it is. Then you can select the faces that you want to break off and go edit polygons>extract.

Just remember, in order to make sure when it extracts it keeps the faces together. Before you extract them, go to polygons>tool options>keep faces together and make sure it's ticked.

Hope this is what you were looking for:thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

rapidarp
06-23-2003, 01:59 AM
YES! Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for. I will try it now. Thanks again!

RapidArp

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.