PDA

View Full Version : student's animation

DickieGriffin
12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey guys n girls, happy holiday’s n all that jazz!

If you’re your reading this then you had the dubious double honour of not only giving critique for the first work I’ve ever published on this forum, but for my first ever animated sequence! You lucky, lucky people!

Okay. I’m student at Sheffield Hallam university (in the UK) studying a degree BSc degree in Computer game graphics and visualisation… I’m not strictly an animation student, but CG animation does make part of the curriculum and I’m intending to study animation once I’m done.

Anyway the link below if for the animation I produced for the first half of my animation & special effects module (special effects is next year) and while I’ve done tutorials (arm pointing, guy stepping onto a box) and read books (animators survival kit, best book ever btw) this is my first ever animated sequence…

While my ex-industry lecture seemed impressed I thought I would benefit from some unbiased advice from the you lot… given that I’ve got the animation community at my finger tips I’d be a fool not to right?

Oh yeah, the character isn’t mine… as u can see the body is a Max biped (not my idea) and the head was taken of some freebie rig, I don’t know who’s. The character was provided by my lecture. The rest of the modelling though is mine. We were graded purely on animation – nothing was given for modelling/rendering/lighting…

Feel free to tell me it sucks, just so long as you say why! - Enjoy

(http://www.mavarick.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Neds_BDay_Present1.avi)

click to download (http://www.mavarick.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Neds_BDay_Present1.avi) - 3.9mb

robcat2075
12-23-2008, 01:19 AM
It's good he didn't get any cake for his birthday. He doesn't seem to have any digestive tract to process it in!

That's not a bad first time out. Quite ambitious (and harder to usefully crit) because of its length. There are many details of weight and balance and timing one would flag for polishing, but I think it's a promising start.

DickieGriffin
12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks for the reply

the animation we were ment to produce was only supposed to be 10 to 30 seconds long -
i would have liked to make his movent slower when he relized the box was empty so there was more contrast to his happy, faster movments. but at 43 seconds i was already pushing it!

I figured the timing messes up to feeling of weight when he first picks up the box, and the shaking appeared alot quicker than i intendered once rendered than it did in max...

i think i went a bit nuts with how many times i made use of 'overshoot' too...

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.